V - The New Mythology Suite

Wander

10+2=6
Jan 2, 2007
Finland
I expanded my Symphony X collection today by buying V and yeah, IT's GREAT ALBUM.

Anyway, I wanted as what do you think about the style of it. (Sorry if there's already been topic/s like this)

1.Did you like the way how the songs were put together with no pauses?

2.Did you like the story-telling style of the songs?

3.Do you think it's the best Symphony X album yet?

4.Which songs are your favourites from the album?
etc. Just tell your opinions.

I personally liked the way the songs were put together and I think it's really interesting album. I still have to study more of the lyrics, but overall, I liked it already with first listen. If I have to find the best song, I could say that Communion and the Oracle is great, but it seems to me that all songs flow together very well.

1. Yes, it emphasizes the concept and keeps up the intensity. Love the effect.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, without a single doubt. The most perfect symphonic/prog metal album ever.

Favourite tracks? Hard to say, since I love them all... I'd mention "Communion and the Oracle", "Egypt" and "Rediscovery part II" first.

1. I didn't mind it.

2. Yes, very.

3. Nope, it has a great flow to it but it has some fillers aswell.

4. Communion and the Oracle, Egypt, The Grand Design.

1. Yes. Since it was a concept album, this helped it flow and sound like one big piece.

2. It's not usually my thing, but it worked well here.

3. No.

4. Communion, Fallen, Rediscovery I & II, Evolution

1. Yes I did/do
2. It was very fascinating to read the lyrics while listening through the album and follow the story, so definitely yes
3. No, TDWOT still remains as the absolute SymX album for me, mainly because it was the first SymX album I bought.
Though V and The Odyssey are albums to be reckoned with and the opinion might change, still waiting for PL..
4. Egypt, The Bird-Serpent War / Cataclysm, Absence of Light

4.Which songs are your favourites from the album?
etc. Just tell your opinions.

1. Yep, it makes it great just to sit down and listen right through.

2. Yep, i've always loved concept albums, but with this one I really appreciated how they didn't include narration in the actual music cos after the first few listens, narration wears really thin... I liked it how u can just read the 'narration' for yourself with the liner notes...

3. yes, it contains the best mix of all their best elements musically, and also has the best mix from a sound production point of view...

4. Rediscovery pt 2, Egypt, Death Of Balance, Fallen

1. Yes.
2. Yes... easily the best concept album I've listened to, and one of the best albums all around in prog/symphonic/technical/power metal.
3. Yes in a way... I basically think every Symphony X album is their best. Although I didn't really like the vocalist (Rod) on the self-titled, especially when compared to the mighty Russell Allen. :p
4. Evolution, Fallen, Egypt, Lacrymosa, A Fool's Paradase, Rediscovery Pt. 2.

Hey progmetalpilgrim... I found a survey you made for Symphony X in Australia (few days back, before I joined this forum lol)!
Even though they already seem to wanna come to Australia, I signed the petition anyway, and also started a Perth one on that same website.

Looking forward to seeing Symphony X and their latest album!

Yeah I get ya lol... Symphony X is the one band, that would really make my musical life if they came here. Fucking legends. I signed your Aussie one, and I'll drop a signature on your Adelaide one too. (If Symphony X don't do Perth :(, Adelaide is the shortest distance).

Say, is that Russell's sword in your signature? (my name is Dan too haha... we could start a band full of Dans, like Symphony X is full of Michaels)

Now, I've lisened through V a few times. I still can't build any final opinions, but right now I'd say that although it's really good, it's not their best. I think it's on the same level with The Odyssey (Although different in style). Divine Wings is slightly better, maybe cause it's my first SX album and cause of the title song.

V is not the easiest type of CD to get into. It's very complex and has a lot of little details. There are a few parts, which are hard for me to get into (Maybe it's so progressive, not sure). I still need to listen it for a few weeks I think.

1. Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of film scores and how many of them tie tracks together to suggest continuity of the story. That technique was perfect for this album.

2. Yes, especially how Russell's voice changes expressively to fit the characters/action.

3. Yes I do. Everything I love about metal, prog, and symphonic elements are in this one, tidy package.

4. Uh, all of them. Favorites are Prelude/Grand Design, Communion and the Oracle, Bird/Serpent War, On the Breath of Poseidon, Death of Balance, A Fool's Paradise, Rediscovery I and II.

One thing I really love about Rediscovery (segue) is how the music just lets you picture the aftermath of a long, drawn out conflict and the uncertainty of the future that is to follow. That right there is a winning song. One that can make you feel something without being annoyingly forceful.

Yeah I get ya lol... Symphony X is the one band, that would really make my musical life if they came here. Fucking legends. I signed your Aussie one, and I'll drop a signature on your Adelaide one too. (If Symphony X don't do Perth :(, Adelaide is the shortest distance).

Say, is that Russell's sword in your signature? (my name is Dan too haha... we could start a band full of Dans, like Symphony X is full of Michaels)

Russells sword in The Odyssey liners was what gave me the inspiration... Dan is truly an awesome name... :kickass: :D

What instrument do u play?

I play bass... I'm in WA though lol.

Yeah, Dan is definitely one of the best names invented.:headbang: :kickass:

All we need now is a drummer and vocalist called Dan.:loco:

I fucking Love V so much, at first when I downloaded about 5 songs off it i thought 'same old shit' but then when i started getting really fanatical about SX and bought all their albums I bought V listened to it from beginning to end whilst reading the lyrics and I think it is an amazing album and while its hard to play favourites with SX, V is definately somehwere at the top of the ladder, IMO it beats the hell out of The Odyssey (minus the title track) and the first two albums but I love it about the same amount as Devine and Twilight.

Fuck all the songs have something to offer on this album but favourites go to Prelude/Evolution, Egypt, Rediscovery (I & II), The Bird-Serpent War.

Here's to hoping that Paradise Lost is a step back upto the quality of V. While I do think Odyssey is a good album, for SX standards i think they can do better.