V - The new Mythology Suite

I think V is an excellent album although I can understand where you are coming from grandbazaar. Symphony X is basically the only Progressive band I like and they are the only one I've found in which I discover emotion. I'm not even going to start saying V does or doesn;t have emotion since emotion is different to every different person. For example, some people feel like Darkthrone has a lot of emotion and passion (like myself) but others think it's just noise. It is all in the eye of the beholder.

Am I the only one who finds that album boring?
Nope :)

Well not boring, just not as great as everyone says it is. Too over-rated. V is mine and my girlfriends' least favorite Symphony X album outside of the self titled. There are some tracks that stand out (communion and the oracle, egypt, rediscovery) but generally it's not as grand of an experience as DWoT or The Odyssey. The story is too hard to follow and the music lacks anything that strikes me. It's a pretty good album though but just not Symphony X quality IMO.

-Kronikle

It would RULE if they played Egypt @ the Metal Festival in March ... <cough> Jax tell romeo <cough> <cough>
<cough>
<cough>
Oh shit.
<choke>
<Choke>
<CHOKEE!!!!>

--^---^--^---^--------^-----------^-------------------------------------

Oakenson said:
I think V is an excellent album although I can understand where you are coming from grandbazaar. Symphony X is basically the only Progressive band I like and they are the only one I've found in which I discover emotion. I'm not even going to start saying V does or doesn;t have emotion since emotion is different to every different person. For example, some people feel like Darkthrone has a lot of emotion and passion (like myself) but others think it's just noise. It is all in the eye of the beholder.
I wasn"t saying V was a bad album, i'm just saying that it does nothing for me.
V is probably better than a whole bunch other CD's but when I compare it to other Symphony X material it's the one I like the least. I also like other prog bands , I love Dream Theater, Evergrey and Porcupine tree, just to give you people an idea other bands I listen too.

The Metal Chick said:
In this guys defense I will say that when I first got V, I also thought it was boring. But I forced myself to listen to it over and over for weeks and soon it punched me in the face and owned me. Sometimes there are albums that take time to get to know, and once you do, you realize how much it rules. Listen to it a lot. It might grab you sooner or later.

..as for the first part of this thread, yeah, it seems you are.

..and second, I guess I should apply this to Damantion Game..

No he's not the only one who finds V boring (well not boring... you know what I mean)!!!

"I wasn"t saying V was a bad album, i'm just saying that it does nothing for me.
V is probably better than a whole bunch other CD's but when I compare it to other Symphony X material it's the one I like the least."

True words!

Bah, unless I talk about how Romeo and Petrucci like Pineapple on their pizza, I never get heard!

-Kronikle

Kronikle66 said:
No he's not the only one who finds V boring (well not boring... you know what I mean)!!!

"I wasn"t saying V was a bad album, i'm just saying that it does nothing for me.
V is probably better than a whole bunch other CD's but when I compare it to other Symphony X material it's the one I like the least."

True words!

Bah, unless I talk about how Romeo and Petrucci like Pineapple on their pizza, I never get heard!

-Kronikle
Thanks for the support :) good to know i'm not alone!

grandbazaar said:
I wasn"t saying V was a bad album, i'm just saying that it does nothing for me.
V is probably better than a whole bunch other CD's but when I compare it to other Symphony X material it's the one I like the least.

That's how I feel about Twilight in Olympus, but when I say that everyone flips out. So I know how you feel man. V is the one that most SymX fans love best, so that's why everyone shit their pants when they saw this thread. (btw, V is not my favorite, but I rank it as #2) It's ok if V isn't your favorite. As long as you're a fan, that's all that matters.

The only thing that bothers me about V is I feal that the Mixing of the album seems a bit off. The tone of the album feals very dry, lacking bottom end and not quite enough Mids...not as compared to Odyssey or Divine which are much more warm in tone and sound..I dont know if anyone else noticed it though..but hey, it still :headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

RobbM said:
The only thing that bothers me about V is I feal that the Mixing of the album seems a bit off. The tone of the album feals very dry, lacking bottom end and not quite enough Mids...not as compared to Odyssey or Divine which are much more warm in tone and sound..I dont know if anyone else noticed it though..but hey, it still :headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

Yeah, the bottom end IS too low - Lepond even stated that on that one radio interview he did last June.

And to the topic starter, the album grows on you. It used to be my LEAST favorite SyX album (not including the s/t), but now I love it to death!

RobbM said:
I think that involving so many string and orchestral type parts comes with a huge set of challenges for mixing, and I can understand why they didn't get it as good as it could have been. When trying to highlight the important orchestral parts, it's understandable that the meat and potatoes somehow got a little neglected.

grandbazaar said:
I have listened to it many times. I Just find Divine Wings Of Tradgedy to be such a better Album. IMO TDWOT is Symphony X's masterpiece but we're all entitled to our own opinion. I'll give V a couple of other spins, and readi the lyrics when I can, it's been a while I haven't listened to it. Is there anybody who's favorite Symphony X CD is not V ?
Yes. It is also my least favorite SX record except for the self-titled of course. It took a really long time to grow on me. I can see how you might not find it as strong musically as far as SX's potential goes. Now I like it a fair bit. I think what did it was looking objectively at the album as literally just one song(or SUITE as it implies). In looking at it this way, it is definitely a masterwork of art and craftsmanship. As far as Symphony X's material goes, it definitely is somewhat overrated.

At first I would always go with the crowd and
say "Divine Wings and The Odyssey are SymphonyX's
greatest albums, no argument."

After listening to these cd's repeatedly and back to
back with Twilight in Olympus, I've found I like Twilight
much more. I think this might be the same way you feel
with "V". Just try listening to it and try to get more
into the story.

Take it for what it is instead of comparing it to the other
albums.

I think V has maybe the best performances(in technically and emotionally) what the guys has done, and what I like the most about it is the keyboards and orchestral instruments that makes the album more melodic and enjoyable to listen to.