V - The new Mythology Suite

grandbazaar

Jul 24, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Am I the only one who finds that album boring? For some reason I dislike the way each songs are somewhat hard to distinguish. The songs are really well crafted thats one sure thing, but for some reason it doesn't reach me and No track really stands out. Something is missing, kind of lack of emotion. it's pretty hard to pinpoint. IMO THe Divine Wings Wings of Tradgedy and The Odyssey are much more well rounded albums.

Are you kidding?

Damn, some of my all-time favourites are on that album - Egypt, Death of Balance..- Rediscovery Pt. II - There are extremely many tracks which stand out, in my opinion.. Some of their most creative work to date - Very varied and still extremely well performed.

Just listen to V like you listen to the songs Odyssey and DWoT,

only the lenght differs ;)

and dude!!! V is a concept album, the songs CANNOT stand alone, I think they mastered this problem very well

Have you tried listening to it & reading the lyrics at the same time so you're really soaking up the story? I've always found that to be a cool way to get the full grasp of a cd..

grandbazaar said:
Am I the only one who finds that album boring? For some reason I dislike the way each songs are somewhat hard to distinguish. The songs are really well crafted thats one sure thing, but for some reason it doesn't reach me and No track really stands out. Something is missing, kind of lack of emotion. it's pretty hard to pinpoint. IMO THe Divine Wings Wings of Tradgedy and The Odyssey are much more well rounded albums.
You just lack musical intelligence and are not a true prog fan. LOL...kidding.....kidding. I would go with what Jax said and try listening to the album while reading the lyrics. I do that at least a few times with every cd I buy. Also, even though it is a concept album, I find many (not all) of the tracks have kinda their own stand alone meaning as well. Such as Evolution, Fallen, and A Fool's Paradise.

My first, and favourite Symphony X album. I love its melodies and general cohesiveness, plus a level of emotion and beauty I find lacking in The Oddysey. But then, I'm a sucker for concept albums. This is the album I'll play 9 times out of 10 if I want to listen to this band.

In this guys defense I will say that when I first got V, I also thought it was boring. But I forced myself to listen to it over and over for weeks and soon it punched me in the face and owned me. Sometimes there are albums that take time to get to know, and once you do, you realize how much it rules. Listen to it a lot. It might grab you sooner or later.

I too consider V my favorite CD from SX. As for concept albums, this one is easy to follow once you know the background found in the CD booklet (not to say this CD is "Concept Albums for Idiots). I also find that this CD confined since there is a story being told thru all the songs, and the other albums SX could branch off and have songs across the spectrum muscially and lyrically (if that made sense...)

grandbazaar said:
Am I the only one who finds that album boring?
:Spin: :Spin: BoORiNGg??? :Spin: :Spin:
Something is missing, kind of lack of emotion.
:Spin: :Spin: LaCK oF EmoTIoN??? :Spin: :Spin: I'm sorry, but those are definately not 2 words that describe this album. Some of their absolute best stuff is off V. Evolution, Egypt, The Death of Blanace, and Rediscovery Pt. II! not boring at all! and as for lack of emotion.... all of the songs i just mentioned and then a few more like Fallen, Communion and the Oracle, and Rediscovery Pt. 1 are perfect examples of songs with emotion! Just give it another listen man! I think one of russel's best performances is on Fallen. Just listen to that second verse into the second chorus! :devil: "In the night, my army's rage and fury burning my shadow into the land. VENGEANCE BY MY HAAAAND!!!" :devil: I hope you can soon find yourself loving this album as much as everyone else :)

The Metal Chick said:
In this guys defense I will say that when I first got V, I also thought it was boring. But I forced myself to listen to it over and over for weeks and soon it punched me in the face and owned me. Sometimes there are albums that take time to get to know, and once you do, you realize how much it rules. Listen to it a lot. It might grab you sooner or later.
I have listened to it many times. I Just find Divine Wings Of Tradgedy to be such a better Album. IMO TDWOT is Symphony X's masterpiece but we're all entitled to our own opinion. I'll give V a couple of other spins, and readi the lyrics when I can, it's been a while I haven't listened to it. Is there anybody who's favorite Symphony X CD is not V ?

Odysseus said:
:Spin: :Spin: BoORiNGg??? :Spin: :Spin: :Spin: :Spin: LaCK oF EmoTIoN??? :Spin: :Spin: I'm sorry, but those are definately not 2 words that describe this album. Some of their absolute best stuff is off V. Evolution, Egypt, The Death of Blanace, and Rediscovery Pt. II! not boring at all! and as for lack of emotion.... all of the songs i just mentioned and then a few more like Fallen, Communion and the Oracle, and Rediscovery Pt. 1 are perfect examples of songs with emotion! Just give it another listen man! I think one of russel's best performances is on Fallen. Just listen to that second verse into the second chorus! :devil: "In the night, my army's rage and fury burning my shadow into the land. VENGEANCE BY MY HAAAAND!!!" :devil: I hope you can soon find yourself loving this album as much as everyone else :)

Finally! Somebody who feels exactly the same way I do about the second verse of "Fallen"!