Best replacement for LeCab?

Ihsahn1981

Jan 8, 2008
Hey guys.

I love LeCab and the way it works but its very disappointing that it does not work at higher samplerates.
Im working on a 88.2khz project now and I need a good IR loader which has the same cool features as LeCab like loading multiple IR's etc..

Any suggestions?

Oh and preferably 64bit.

If you want to use impulses, the last recabinet is great with the new dynamic enhancement, tones come alive (and you can use third party impulses).

But if you want a real organic sound, Nebula Cabs are way better IMO.
And the last Ownhammer Studio Mix Libraries sounds great.
You get impulses in wav format and Nebula presets -Nebula for the win-.
Just my 2 cents.

^ I havent tried, but heard that MixIR colors sound in not good way. Probably that's what they wanted to impulses "come alive".
I love reverberate, altough I have LE version and it's only thing I need to have non latency impulse loading, but it can load only one impulse.

+1 for MixIR, it doesn't color the sound but you may think it does because LeCab colors the sound. LeCab isn't designed for big impulse length and it got therefore artefacts especially in the highend. But thats also written on the lepou blogspot page.
MixIR can work with any sample rate. Exists in 32 and 64bit and you can load up to 30 IRs and mix them to taste without volume changes, it keeps the outputvolume always the same and thats why i love it.

Voxengo Pristine Space FTW.

+1 for Nebula Cabs though, but it's a bit off topic, as it's not strictly speaking an "IR loader", and there's not that much cabs program available.

Thanks to this thread, I decided to trial recabinet instead of using lecab, and WOW! The difference is massive.
I A/B'd them with the same impulse and lecab had this weird fizzy, "softened" highs thing going on, which really took away a lot of the bite.
Also, I felt like there was some low-mid purr missing from lecab.

Those things may have been because I had the speaker dynamics cranked in recabinet though.

Another vote for Recabinet. As soon as I downloaded that and listened, I knew I'd most likely never touch LeCab or KeFir again. I've imported IRs in, but I almost always go back to the stock cabinets and tweak from there. They need very little EQ to sit well in the mix I've noticed.

Thanks for all the replies!
I do own Liquidsoniqs Reverberate but I dont really like it for guitar cab IR's.
One of the things I loved about LeCab was that I could load six IR's at once and quickly try out different combinations.
With single-IR loaders I guess you need to set up alot of busses with the plugin on to get multiple mic's.

Seems that I should check out Recabinet.
Any tips for how to use that "Dynamic" knob? Does it also work with 3rd party IR's?

Thanks for the kind words about Recabinet, guys!

Ihsahn1981 - the Dynamics knob should be set to 100% for metal rhythm and lead tones (which will give you approximately the same amount of speaker distortion as a typical V30.) I usually back it off to 50% or 60% for cleans. It really depends on what kind of sound you're going for, but I find that for metal that the algorithm really helps guitars sit in a mix better.

2ebs76w.jpg