Best songs of 2007.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
I know the year is far from being over and I don't want to make a poll or a ranking scheme. I just want people to put the songs that made a mark already for the listener from the 2007 material already out (so of course this thread can grow up to Dec 31). Songs that already hit you hard, no need to rank them as I said just wrote them down.

Mine so far:

Lion's Share - Hatred's My Fuel
Superchrist - 'No Color'
Iced Earth - 'Ten Thousand Strong'
Candlemass - 'Of Stars And Smoke'
Dream Theater - 'The Ministry Of Lost Souls'
Megadeth - 'Washington Is Next'
Freedom Call - 'Blackened Sun'
Abandoned - 'V.O.D. reprise'
Rush - 'The Main Monkey Business'

Powerglove - Red Wings Over Baron
Megadeth - Sleepwalker
Dream Theater - Constant Motion
Threshold - Slipstream
Titanic - Captain of the Ship
Sebastian Bach - You Don't Understand
Pink Cream 69 - Children of the Dawn
Symphony X - Set the World On Fire
Betrayer - Headed for Disaster

Nuclear Blast Allstars - Dirty Wings (Tobi Sammet)
Black Sabbath - The Devil Cried

and last but not least, Final Stage - Infidel (not to toot my own horn or anything):heh:

Candlemass - Demonia 6
Machine Head - Now I Lay Thee Down, Halo
Megadeth - Washington is Next (or) Sleepwalker (or) Burnt Ice
Nine Inch Nails - The Great Destroyer
Redemption - Suffocating Silence
Saxon - Red Star Falling
Arch Enemy - Blood On Your Hands

Just the first that come to my mind

Atlantean Kodex - The Hidden Folk
Cage - Hell Destroyer/Metal Devil
Crystal Viper - Night Prowler/I Am Leather Witch/The Last Axeman
Saxon - The Red Star Falling
Manowar - Sleipnir
Astral Doors - Cold War Survivor/Bastard Son
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Sacred Oath - Words Upon the Stone
Allen/Lande - When Time Doesn't Heal
Ignitor - Broken Glass

Ah, so many already, I'm not gonna search for song names but gotta be stuff from Neil Morse, Trouble, Symphony X, Mehida, Icarus Witch, Suncaged, Suspyre, Abramis Brama, Kobus, .....

The first two that came to mind are 'In The Presence Of Enemies' by Dream Theater and 'Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams' by Threshold.

Megadeth - Washington is Next (or) Sleepwalker (or) Burnt Ice

I also had a hard time deciding which of those three, but I went for WIN :headbang:

and last but not least, Final Stage - Infidel (not to toot my own horn or anything):heh:

That's why I put the so far disclaimer, I want to listen to your album and have more material coming my way.

NP: Znöwhite - 'Rock City Destination'

Devin Townsend - By Your Command
Devin Townsend - The Greys
NIN - Me, I'm Not (though I could name seven or eight from YZ)
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
El-P - The League Of Extraordinary Nobodies (don't hate me guys)
Pro-Pain - The New Reality

and if the new Meshuggah was released on the scheduled date, I'm sure a couple from that would be mentioned.

that's about all I can think of right now

1) Porcupine Tree - Anasthetize
2) Therion - Son of the Staves of Time
3) Redemption - Memory
4) Candlemass - Emperor of the Void
5) Saxon - Atila the Hun
6) Sabbath - Shadow of the Wind
7) Porcupine Tree - My Ashes
8) Threshold - Slipstream

Also: every song on the Scorp's "Humanity 1" album which is very nearly a perfect record.

So many 'classic' bands have released excellent work in these recent years. The new Scorps sits very nicely alongside modern classics by Maiden, Saxon, Motorhead, Dio, etc.

I also had a hard time deciding which of those three, but I went for WIN :headbang:

NP: Znöwhite - 'Rock City Destination'

Yeah, and I like Gears of War too! There's a lot of good songs on that record. Burnt Ice closes with that KILLER solo....very old school - it's tough not to choose that one, but then again I find Sleepwalker SO catchy, and Washington... has such a cool ambling chorus. Dave's Back!

I'm also adding Go Into The Water by Dethklok, and only partially because it's funny. It actually is a pretty cool little epic song. Seriously.

Yeah, and I like Gears of War too! There's a lot of good songs on that record. Burnt Ice closes with that KILLER solo....very old school - it's tough not to choose that one, but then again I find Sleepwalker SO catchy, and Washington... has such a cool ambling chorus. Dave's Back!

Indeed! The album has grown exponentially with each listening, is not a classic like PSBWB the same the new Dio/Sabbth songs are not classics as 'Heaven And Hell' or 'Falling Off The Edge Of The World' but nevertheless are good stuff. The old masters still have a trick or two under the sleeve.

And yes the final outro of 'Burnt Ice' is a serious ass-kicker, what a way to close an album.

NP: Astral Doors - 'New Revelation'

Therion - The Perennial Sophia
Dethklok - Go Forth And Die
Type O Negative - Halloween In Heaven
Tristania - Sanguine Sky
Dimmu Borgir - The Serpentine Offering
Kamelot - The Human Stain
Akercocke - Axiom