best Swedish death metal album

Profånity said:
I was going to say that but I knew that if I did i'd get flamed for it.

It's better to post your opinions and get flamed, rather than stealing opinions from websites and getting flamed anyway. Personally, I don't consider anything that followed With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness death metal.

I just decided to pop in Dissection's Storm Of The Light's Bane. It is definitely one of my top three alltime favorite albums. I consider them melodic death, so I might have to change my mind and say that it is the best Swedish death metal CD. But then again, so many people consider them black metal that I'm not sure if they would qualify as a death metal band in most people's eyes. They are definitely no straightforward death metal like Entombed; they are either melodic death (my opinion) or a mixture of black metal and death metal.

Swedish death metal (or should I say "death" metal) sound like an insult, at least in certain circles. Fortunately, there are still a couple of bands that save Sweden's death metal reputation. Soils of Fate and Obscene come to mind, Spawn of Possession, Deranged, Carve, Luciferion, Stabwound, Insision etc. are also catching on.

Entombed - Left Hand Path
Entombed - Clandestine
Opeth - Still Life
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane
The Crown - Hell Is Here
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

SuicideMachine said:
Do At the Gates count as death metal? If they do then it has to be "Slaughter of the Soul", innit.

As I've said, their pre-Terminal Spirit Disease material is death metal.

To say that Sweden has more of a history in death metal than black metal I consider highly erroneous; Bathory. That says it all, really, but we also had Pelle Ohlin, Grotesque etc. not to mention the newer acts (I know it's not yet history, but still).

As for death metal from here I guess I'd have to say something by Treblinka or Morbid.

The doctor told you you're insane
'cause you are vomiting all night!

Naggamanteh said:
Swedish death metal (or should I say "death" metal) sound like an insult, at least in certain circles. Fortunately, there are still a couple of bands that save Sweden's death metal reputation. Soils of Fate and Obscene come to mind, Spawn of Possession, Deranged, Carve, Luciferion, Stabwound, Insision etc. are also catching on.
Yeah, it's too bad that bands like In Flames are giving Swedish death metal a band name. No one should be calling them death metal anyways, especially after the horrid Rerout To Remain. Bands like Dark Tranquility and Arch Enemy (who I like) shouldn't be called death metal either. Sweden used to have many great death metal bands like Dismember, Entombed, Necrophobic, Grave, Unanimated, Therion, Hypocrisy, etc. Yeah, there still are some good Swedish bands that play real dm, like Insision, Spawn Of Possession, Vomitory, Visceral Bleeding, Reguritate, Forsaken, etc.

Well, Opeth may NOT exactly be death metal, but they ARE swedish and they definitely are some sort of metal.

They just have too many influences...some parts more black, some parts more progressive, some death elements, and some classic rock-type stuff. Whatever they are, they're quite amazing!