The Best of Swedish Death Metal

The Black Prince

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2008
1. At the Gates The Red in the Sky is Ours - Probably the best - and certainly the most creative - death metal album ever recorded. The sheer audacity of composition is breathtaking in and of itself, but this album succeeds in achieving its ambitions in a way that groundbreaking art rarely does. Still without peer.

2. Therion Beyond Sanctorum - Wildly inventive, and even more wildly underappreciated (in part because its often unexpected rhythms and unconventional harmonies simply proved to daring for many death metal listeners in the early 90s, but in some measure because the douchebaggery of the band's later releases simply turned off many potential listeners before they ever thought of purchasing this album).

3. Carnage Dark Recollections - The strongest of the initial wave of Stockholm releases ('88-'91), and also the most rhythmically and melodically varied. Subtle touches (especially in the incorporation of the bass line into the larger context of songs) display a level of creative maturity unusual in a work of such raw passion.

4. Necrophobic The Nocturnal Silence - The only Swedish album to fully incorporate the lessons of the emerging black metal of its day (without taking the plunge and becoming black metal like Sacramentum, Dawn and Dissection), and, outside of early At the Gates, the best example of 'melodic death metal' to come out of Sweden.

5. God Macabre The Winterlong - A seminal and often overlooked early classic, instrumental in bringing a Candlemass-inflected doom sensibility to death metal. While it lacks the energetic vitality of some other Swedish classics, the dirge-like atmosphere that pervades the album captures perfectly the existential dread of living in the shadow of death.

6. Unleashed Shadows in the Deep - Simple, powerful death metal played with intensity and focus. Effective both as a blunt force instrument and an often surprisingly epic, if concise exploration of melodic possibility. Its only weakness is a somewhat pared down aesthetic sensibility that occasionally strays toward the formulaic.

7. Dismember Like an Everflowing Stream - Often brilliantly showcasing the Sturm und Drang sensibility that made the Swedish style unique, the passion and energy and often unalloyed viciousness of this album are both infectious and irresistible. However, this is definitely a work of creative youthfulness in the negative as well as the positive sense as an inadequate eye toward redaction and a sometimes unsteady sense of overarching concept leave many of these songs with a regrettably unfinished sense to them.

8. Seance Saltrubbed Eyes - Wholly unconventional death metal, at least for the time. This had more in common with the work of bands like Wicked Innocence and Demilich than with that of their contemporary countrymen. This is not a pleasant (or frequent) listen, but its potent combination of unrelenting ferocity and underlying intricacy is intriguing even when the band's reach exceeds its grasp.

9. Unanimated Ancient God of Evil - A more polished hybrid of Necrophobic and early Dismember that serves as an excellent, if not terribly inventive, summation of the basic Swedish death metal concept.

10. Grave Into the Grave - Perilously close to being pure rhythm music, but largely successful on the strength of sheer violence alone. If there is a more physically punishing album out there, I haven't heard it, but vision and scope are distinctly lacking.

Great list. I even mostly agree with the presented order. I'd have Entombed's debut (if only because of massive influence and the title track alone) in mine instead of the Unanimated, and probably The Awakening by Merciless in there somewhere.

I prefer Fornever Laid To Rest to Saltrubbed Eyes and would probably include different bands, but regardless, there are many worthy contenders, which in itself speaks well of the scene.

Where No Life Dwells I feel is superior to Shadows in the Deep. Also your list is lacking Nihilist, Entombed, and Groteque. Otherwise I completely agree, except maybe with addition of Wommbath and Merciless

All worth mentioning-

Afflicted - Prodigal Sun
Authorize - The Source of Dominion
Tiamat - The Sumerian Cry
Uncanny - Slpenium for Nyktophobia
Untumno - Across the Horizon
Carbonized - For the Security
Ceremonial Oath - The Book of Truth
Gorement - The Ending Quest
Darkified - A Dance on the Grave
Crypt of Kerberos - World of Myths
Epitaph - Seeming Salvation
Eucharist - Velvet Creation
Comecon - Megatrends in Brutality
Furbowl - Those Shredded Dreams
Goddefied - Abysmal Grief E.P.
Desultory - Into Eternity
Excruciate - Passage of Life
Bloodstone - Hour of 13
Hetshead - We Hail the Possessed
Sorcery - Bloodchilling Tales
Nirvana 2002 - Disembodied Spirits (Demo)
Megaslaughter - Calls From Beyond
Morpheus - Sons of Hypnos
Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows
Crematory - Denial E.P.
Belsebub - Elohim E.P.
Abhoth - The Tide E.P.
Interment
Lier in Wait - Spritually Uncontrolled Art E.P.
Internal Decay - A Forgotten Dream
Merciless - The Awakening

Good thread. You need to post more. :headbang:

Like many others, I prefer Fornever Laid to Rest to Saltrubbed Eyes.

I prefer Fornever Laid To Rest to Saltrubbed Eyes and would probably include different bands, but regardless, there are many worthy contenders, which in itself speaks well of the scene.

I flipped a coin. Literally. I'm blasting Fornever Laid to Rest right now. It pretty much rules. Go figure.

Pretty great list, hard to number and pick out favourites though. Though, Eucharist - A Velvet Creation and Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey should be mentioned in this thread.
Edit - I just noticed Dazed and Brutal mentioned Eucharist.

I've never understood what is so great about The Red In The Sky. If someone could explain, that would be nice, as that album failed to impress me at all.

You probably need to take more time to absorb it. It's not an instantly gratifying album by any means.

It took me more time to get into that properly than it took me to get into Obscura properly but when I did - nothing came close.