The Best of Swedish Death Metal

Pop music with distortion.

Yeah well it is certainly not in the vicinity of Death Metal but... Pop Music? I fed the whole "reroute to remain" to a pop music listener when he couldn't defend himself and tbh it freaked the hell out of him in a negative way.

Didn't came close to the faces I got when giving a music class some grindcore but anyway... IF and Soilwork and the like might not the brutal metal or anything but Pop Music? Turn on the radio and listen to some contemporary shit oO

Yeah well it is certainly not in the vicinity of Death Metal but... Pop Music? I fed the whole "reroute to remain" to a pop music listener when he couldn't defend himself and tbh it freaked the hell out of him in a negative way.

Didn't came close to the faces I got when giving a music class some grindcore but anyway... IF and Soilwork and the like might not the brutal metal or anything but Pop Music? Turn on the radio and listen to some contemporary shit oO

Pop structures, pop concerns, a pop visual aesthetic - what more do you want? They're comparable, at least in recent years, to a lot of radio rock, which is, after all, just pop music dressed up in the rags of authenticity.

I enjoy The Red In The Sky Is Ours a lot but it isn't my favorite At The Gates album.
Only Therion album I enjoy is Lumuria, the rest I have heard sucked.
All I have heard from bands 3,4,5,6 and 7 had been garbage.
Haven't heard Seance.
The stuff I have heard from Unanimated and Grave has been pretty cool.

Basically I disagree with the whole list, but I don't listen to a lot of Tr00 death metal so I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

pop visual aesthetic

What exactly do you mean by that? I only own the hated RtR by IF and next to the pop/classic rock my father listens to and the pop/radio-rock my sister likes the artwork looks, well, quite out of place. Novembre's Materia f.ex looks far more like radio-rock.

pop concerns

DOes that mean money? Ok, no arguing there - but I think it's easy to relate to that - most people like money. Lyrcal wise... what radio rock focuses on actual insanity? I do not mean this "my gf left me and I'm going crazy" stuff but well, the slightly more interesting kind? I don't know any, but then again I'm from germany/norway and we have fifferent radio airplay then the US or the UK.

Regarding Soilwork:
I found "figure number five" in one of berlin's librarys and yes, I can agree there, that is poprock with growls, downtuned guitars, solos and stupid electronics. I yield there.

What exactly do you mean by that? I only own the hated RtR by IF and next to the pop/classic rock my father listens to and the pop/radio-rock my sister likes the artwork looks, well, quite out of place. Novembre's Materia f.ex looks far more like radio-rock.

In Flames:

inflames1inline_062404copy_1088118176.jpg
inflames3.jpg

An actual contemporary death metal band (The Chasm):

141-2.jpg

Notice the difference?

DOes that mean money?

And relationships, and angst and all the other concerns of radio music.

Ok, no arguing there - but I think it's easy to relate to that - most people like money. Lyrcal wise... what radio rock focuses on actual insanity? I do not mean this "my gf left me and I'm going crazy" stuff but well, the slightly more interesting kind?

Disturbed, Tool, Korn, fucking Papa Roach, Metallica, yeah, 'insanity' has never been a theme in radio rock. Oh wait...

Everone who is into swedish old school death metal should check out
Hetsheads - We Hail the Possessed
The first songs have some nice old school groove deluxe!

Notice the difference?

Right, I forgot metal was about wearing the right kinda clothes..

Disturbed, Tool, Korn, fucking Papa Roach, Metallica

Again, we have some different views on what's radio rock. See, where I come from none of them get any large amout of airplay (and if, only the slow, harmless songs). Appaarently german mainstream is too soft for even that. Radio guys usually announce that 'something heavy' is coming up when they mean Linkin Park. Go figure.

And relationships, and angst and all the other concerns of radio music.

You find that all over the metal genres.

But hey, who really cares? Call it Popmusic if you like. It just amuses me that you put that Gotheburg sound in the same drawer as, say, young Britney Spears, ich&ich or whatever's you have there.

Everone who is into swedish old school death metal should check out
Hetsheads - We Hail the Possessed
The first songs have some nice old school groove deluxe!

Damn this is nice...Thanks for the tip...

There's always more old Swedish Death bands to check out.

Right, I forgot metal was about wearing the right kinda clothes..

Art is the total package, not just whatever elements you want to abstract from it. The image a band projects visually is contiguous with the ideals they present sonically. It's never a good sign when they start dressing like college rock douchebags and cleaning up the font on their album covers.

A friend put it this way:
"art is an abstract form of feeling, even people that look like mathematicians have feelings. Just because you dress extreme doesn't mean that they actually are how they dress."

How does a cover like Katatonia's Great Cold Distance fit in there? Or Novembre's Materia? Stentenced's Frozen/Down/Crimson? Moonspell's Silver Eye? True none of those are Death Metal, but it's Metal...

No, don't answer that - this discussion never really had a point so I think we just leave it.

I used to have that CD (Hetsheads) but I got rid of it, didn't do much for me.

Some top Swedish Death Metal albums for me:
- Entombed - Clandestine (that's right, not the debut)
- Dismember - Indecent & Obscene (again, not the debut)
- Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence & Darkside (it's uncanny that someone who claims to be into old school swedish death metal calls this rubbish, simply classic stuff)
- Seance - Saltrubbed Eyes (KILLER stuff, Stefan you really need to hear this, the brutal Death Metal maniac you are)
- Crypt Of Kerberos - World of Myths (rather obscure album, but really good)
- Edge Of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows (simply classic)
- Dissection - The Somberlain (such compelling darkness, just fascinating)
- Tiamat - Sumerian Cry (nice gloomy stuff)

Internal Decay anyone? Released one album in 1993 called "A Forgotten Dream" on some verrry obscure label, this CD is very rare these days, but guess who has it....

Goddefied and Utumno are (were) also good bands, but never released full-lengths.

Unleashed has always been kind of an overrated band i.m.o. Though I do like their Live in Vienna album, especially "Before the Creation of Time" of course! Grave has some good songs, but no whole album I would call classic personally.

Maze Of Torment released an album called "Faster Disaster" (among others), dirty thrashy groovy Death Metal, Kevin's gonna love it if he doesn't know it already..

Glad you like it. How the hell did you find it?! I wanted to post a myspace link or something but there was nothing on the whole internet ;)
Good that I have the CD.
The intro itself is so cool.

I can pretty much find anything...I got internetz smartz.

I found a split cd with the whole album on it...would like to find the original though.

I'll say their influences really show on the record. Still, not bad of a listen...but it makes me wanna put on some Sodom :)