• My Domain

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coalition of the Elements

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Loci

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
^ You mean Epic or Universal?

I like the overall mix and production of Universal, including the drums.
But the drum sound on Epic is terrible imo :erk:

No one thinks Mr.V's vocals sound like he is bored on this album? Like someone woke him up early on Sunday morning and made him go sing in church?

omg I fuckin LOVE this album... it's an unrivaled grower!
atm Reason appears to me as one of the best songs of the album. Although I didn't like it too much in the beginning.

Yeah agreed, just try to listen to the blastbeats during Resonance... the drums are barely audible. That song would have been so much more powerful if the drums had just a little more "punch".

haha, are we talking about Epic or Universal?

I think the drums on both albums are very good for Borknagar. I don't want Dimmu drums on a Borknagar album. While they could be clearer I guess, I still think the whole Borknagar feel is important to maintain. I actually criticised the drums on Empericism as being too tinny and thin, and really they are, but I've come to love them. Borknagar always seem to have thin drums. I don't know what it is. Love it all though.

I can hear the drums on Universal quite well and loud enough, every beat is clearly audible. I like how natural it sounds, specially the snare and toms. Guitars seem to be the less audible layers overall.

@Requiem: Empiricism' drums are indeed really 'thin' IMO. I think Asgeir used a piccolo snare and the overall production is really dry.

^ Really? I agree about the guitars, but I still think the production of the drums (not the playing) doesn't sound very good.

Why not? I mean, it sounds heavy and natural (maybe the bass drum is the only thing that sounds obviously 'processed' but still organic), the rest sounds to me like a live drum on a small studio. It's not the typical lifeless metalcore/modern melodeath production that sounds the same in all bands and seems to be triggered as fuck or programmed on superior drummer.

I'm not used to that kind of production and I always prefer an organic feel to percussions instead overprocessed stuff. Maybe I'm one of the few that likes the drum production on Cynic's Traced in Air, as well I prefer the sound of Aghora's S/T over Formless (for Sean Reinert fans). Maybe I like it cause it sounds kinda similar to Death's TSOP, which is one of my favs albums on drums ever (the sound and the playing). Gavin from Porcupine Tree sounds excellent too (even if I don't like the band).

The more I hear Universal, the more I think that Dave sounds like a brutal mix of Asgeir and Nick Barker.

Why not? I mean, it sounds heavy and natural (maybe the bass drum is the only thing that sounds obviously 'processed' but still organic), the rest sounds to me like a live drum on a small studio. It's not the typical lifeless metalcore/modern melodeath production that sounds the same in all bands and seems to be triggered as fuck or programmed on superior drummer.

I'm not used to that kind of production and I always prefer an organic feel to percussions instead overprocessed stuff. Maybe I'm one of the few that likes the drum production on Cynic's Traced in Air, as well I prefer the sound of Aghora's S/T over Formless (for Sean Reinert fans). Maybe I like it cause it sounds kinda similar to Death's TSOP, which is one of my favs albums on drums ever (the sound and the playing). Gavin from Porcupine Tree sounds excellent too (even if I don't like the band).

The more I hear Universal, the more I think that Dave sounds like a brutal mix of Asgeir and Nick Barker.

Ok let me say something here-

1st thanks for compairing me to NB.....2nd....this is to everyone who doesnt know exactly what triggers are and think that triggers actually determine the sound that you have on an album. Triggers are simply something that helps define a drum being hit. In my case, I trigger my bass drums....I can set the sound to be any bass drum sample I choose but the real reason I do this, and many other drummers do this, is in order to play this fast metal shit live, it has to be perfect to me....and using triggers does nothing more than assure me that I will have the exact same kick drum sound everytime I hit the drum.....rather than using just mics where you get different velocity of the notes between how hard or soft you play, my triggers just make the kick drums sound perfect. I still have to play and they dont change the speed for me or anything.....So, when people say that an album sounds too "triggered", that doesnt make much sense......when it sounds a bit too much and too digital, its going to be the fault or purpose of the sound engineer. Realise, none of the drums on Universal were triggered in the studio at all...They were all sound replaced but thats all me on there.....We simply sound replace the notes of the 1st takes in order to make the whole album sound huge........ok now Im just running off into Dave world........anyhow, just realise that triggers have nothing to do with the sound of anything on most albums....its just the sound guy, and we happen to have a great guy in the studio and great guy on the road as well haha

I do know what are and for what triggers are used. Without triggers it's almost impossible to discern the notes of fast double bass drums and other stuff, it's the lack of 'dynamic' of their triggers what annoys me. I know triggers can be set to give some range of dynamics so you can still play things softer and it will still sound softer, but with the sound that the drummer/wherever be desires, but what I hear from modern productions is that the velocities are too way plain, every beat sounds exactly like any other, loud as fuck and that's what I don't like it (the snare is the most evident element on this matter)...or those drummers just smack the kit like there will be no tomorrow, with an incredible lack of feeling.

Hard to choose. But I went with coalition of the elements. As much as I hate the sloppy drums on this song, everything else is just so epic. The vocals are killer on this song.