Best Viking/Norse Metal?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I'm looking for some good viking/norse metal... any opinions on the best? I'm thinking mostly Thyrfing and Finntroll right now...

Ensiferum
Moonsorrow
Asmegin
Vintersorg (depends on your tastes)
Windir
Thyrfing

yeah, thats good for now. Sorry for any spelling errors, its late.

Damn, it took 7 replies for someone to mention Enslaved. I was starting to think that they wouldn't get mentioned. Anyways, Enslaved, Einherjer, Moonsorrow and Thyrfing probably all would get my vote. All of their releases are top quality in my opinion.

Enslaved are the originators of so-called "viking metal" so go ahead and pick up their "Frost" and "Eld" lp's. As for some other releases that are not quite "viking" but still norse as fuck, try:Borknagar- "Borknagar"
Ulver- "Bergtatt"

Enslaved's "Vikingligr Veldi" is mandatory. Also check out "Frost", "Hordanes Land" (split with Emperor) and "Eld".
Moonsorrow - Suden Uni (get it with the bonus DVD)
Einherjer - Aurora Borealis, Blot, Dragons Of The North
Helheim - Jormundgand

If by viking/norse metal you mean any band that has a folk sound and blackened vocals:

XIV Dark Centuries
Månegarm
Thyrfing
Ásmegin

etc. etc.

Ensiferum aren't "viking" metal. They're just slightly folky melo-death/power. Good band though.

Is it just me or does someone start a thread exactly like this every week? Right about this point in it an argument starts about what constitutes "viking" metal. :rolleyes: Yep, there it is.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Is it just me or does someone start a thread exactly like this every week? Right about this point in it an argument starts about what constitutes "viking" metal. :rolleyes: Yep, there it is.
yes, but this one is different. the argument about what is viking metal didnt start with someone listing amon amarth!

anyways, thyrfing is my fav
~gR~