Best way to expand my Saffire Pro 40?

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
I'm looking for the best way to expand my recording capabilities from 8 to 16 channels (possibly 24 later).
Unless I'm mistaken, the Pro 40 does not support multi chaining with other Pro 40's, but I'm really satisfied with it so I would like to keep it in my setup. Am I correct however when I assume that it can be slaved to other firewire interfaces?

I'm not gonna say that money isn't an issue (or else I wouldnt bother to keep the Pro 40), but I'm prepared to spend the necessary money to achieve a good setup.

I've tried the search function and I found lots of great threads about the pro 40, but I cant seem to find an answer to my question).

You could connect an Octopre via ADAT to your Saffire, that would give you 16 channels.

You could connect an Octopre via ADAT to your Saffire, that would give you 16 channels.

Yup! Octopre is the first logical solution since you own Pro 40... It's basically designed for what you need. You just connect it to your Pro 40 via optical ADAT in/out and you're good to go!

http://www.focusrite.com/products/mic_pres/octopre_mkii/

You might look into Presonus' Digimax D8 (same thing as Octopre)... But, personally, I would go for Focusrite ;)

Thanks guys! The Octopre seems to fit my needs perfectly. Is it possible to connect a second Pro 40 (2 pro 40s and one octopre total) to the octopre later if I decide that I need another 8 channels?

Thanks guys! The Octopre seems to fit my needs perfectly. Is it possible to connect a second Pro 40 (2 pro 40s and one octopre total) to the octopre later if I decide that I need another 8 channels?

Your computer/DAW can only communicate with one interface at a time, so having two interfaces doesn't get you anywhere (imagine having two sound cards in your computer, you can't use both). Pro 40 has only one Optical input/one ADAT input so you won't be able to slave more than 8 additional preamps to it... So, the answer is - No... With that setup (Pro 40 + Octopre) you're limited with 16 channels total. But honestly, I don't see any limitation there... If you need more than 16 channels than we're talking different price ranges, maybe you should go the Avid route...

Could always get a Behringer ADA800 for not much money and get the same number of pre-amps but you're limited to 48kHz.

I can think of better thing to spend money on than pre-amps that don't even add any interesting colour, the difference between the two is going to be fuck all in empirical tests.

Could always get a Behringer ADA800 for not much money and get the same number of pre-amps but you're limited to 48kHz.

I can think of better thing to spend money on than pre-amps that don't even add any interesting colour, the difference between the two is going to be fuck all in empirical tests.

That's what I did and I'm satisfied so far. But you will always be limited to 48kHz, whether you choose ADA8000 or Octopre - it's not about the specifics of each unit, but the fact that standard ADAT signal can carry max. eight channels of 48kHz, OR max. four channels of 96 kHz. In case you want to record at 96kHz with Pro 40, then you're limited to four external preamps - Octopre can actually send eight signals in 96kHz but it sends that signal through TWO optical outputs and requires corresponding TWO optical inputs on the interface (each receiving ADAT signal of max. 4 channels at 96kHz as mentioned), but the Pro 40 has only ONE optical input available...

Personally, I have yet to see the need to record in 96kHz... but that's just me.

That's what I did and I'm satisfied so far. But you will always be limited to 48kHz, whether you choose ADA8000 or Octopre - it's not about the specifics of each unit, but the fact that standard ADAT signal can carry max. eight channels of 48kHz, OR max. four channels of 96 kHz. In case you want to record at 96kHz with Pro 40, then you're limited to four external preamps - Octopre can actually send eight signals in 96kHz but it sends that signal through TWO optical outputs and requires corresponding TWO optical inputs on the interface (each receiving ADAT signal of max. 4 channels at 96kHz as mentioned), but the Pro 40 has only ONE optical input available...

Personally, I have yet to see the need to record in 96kHz... but that's just me.

Useful stuff, thanks man

Yeah, I use an ADA8000 with mine. The pres aren't the greatest, but they are at least different from the Focusrite, actually sound pretty cool for bass, since they're not super clean like the Pro 40. Most times, I only need more than 8 channels for drums, in which case, I'll most likely use the ADA8000 for triggers, which you really don't need a great sound for to record a click :p:

Unless I'm mistaken, the Pro 40 does not support multi chaining with other Pro 40's...

The Saffire range does support dual units. I havent tried it and dont know of any limitations it might impose. But all the info can be found here under Dual Unit Mode User Guide and the answer base here. It would be awesome if it worked and im interested to see if anybody has tried it.

We have 2 Saffire Pro 40s and they work well "chained". You can route signals independently between the 2 units and I really like that there is no latency between the two. Before we bought them I was thinking if we should just get a Saffire and one adat preamp. But as it turns out its even cheaper to just get another Saffire unit plus it can also function as an adat preamp on its own if needed. Good thing to consider too is if one broke then you still have the other for backup. :)

Oh and you get 4 independent headphone outs too. :)

We have 2 Saffire Pro 40s and they work well "chained". You can route signals independently between the 2 units and I really like that there is no latency between the two. Before we bought them I was thinking if we should just get a Saffire and one adat preamp. But as it turns out its even cheaper to just get another Saffire unit plus it can also function as an adat preamp on its own if needed. Good thing to consider too is if one broke then you still have the other for backup. :)

Oh and you get 4 independent headphone outs too. :)

Good to hear! i was thinking of getting a second Pro 40 to chain and was hoping the headphone outs would work, that way i dont have to get a headphone amp. but the FF UFX is looking really attractive so i dunno..