Best/worst lyrics

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
What Opeth album do you think has their best lyrics and which one has their worst lyrics?

I would say
Still Life/Ghost Reveries
(meaning best/worst)
Because Still Life's lyrics are poetic and beautiful, and the ones on Ghost Reveries are just kind of... meh. Don't do much for me. Except Isolation Years.

My personal favourite lyrical content is from the MAYH album.
As far as worst goes, I'de have to agree with you. I love the new album, but compared to albums past the lyrical content was pretty weak.

"Majesty. Faithfull me. Pour yourself. Into me."
"My ashes within your hands. My breath in the sepulchral mound. You know that your night is my day. The final spark that blew life into me, the Demon Of The Fall."

^^ You be the judge of that one...

However, even though it's a great song, I'de say the overall WORST lyrics are on Masters Apprentices.

You guys are such n00bs. Ghost Reveries lyrics are incredible. You should study them every day and night for years to come to a conclusion that GR is better than SL (both lyrically and musically) and that you are a failure for even doubting Mikerfeldt's lyrics. It's my job to help you guys. :buttsexemoticon:

in limbow said:
What Opeth album do you think has their best lyrics and which one has their worst lyrics?

I would say
Still Life/Ghost Reveries
(meaning best/worst)
Because Still Life's lyrics are poetic and beautiful, and the ones on Ghost Reveries are just kind of... meh. Don't do much for me. Except Isolation Years.
I actually think those 2 albums are very much alike, suprised to hear you not like one but worship the other.

Personally i think Morningrise's lyrics are rubbish. And Deliverance's lyrics. I'd say it's between those two albums. MAYH has the best lyrics as they're so mysterious and give a perfect atmosphere for the album. I will happily sit there listening to the album with the booklet in my hands, just reading along to the vocals. Ghost Reveries, generally, has great lyrics - some bits are rather meh.. but other parts are brilliant.

the opeth affinity said:
worst lyric:
all of TGC, god i hate that song

Actually, no. There's some really cool lines in TGC. My favorite being:

"Beneath the tides of wisdom
Spins an undertow of hate"

I like pretty much all the lyrics, some are a little cheesey or forced with the rhyming, but To Bid You Farewell is amazing, and BRI "It is getting dark again/Dusk shuffle across the fields/The evening trees moan as if they knew/At night I always dream of you" is one of my favourite lyrics ever.

worst line in any opeth song ever:

"looking through my window, i seem to recongnize all the people passin' by"

wtf was he thinking

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
maybe only the ultra rare special miss-printing of 1998 that only you own where they accidently mixed them with manowar lyrics or smth.

:tickled:

DOTF got, as someone mentioned before, really wonderful lyrics for the atmosphere.
Espacially this part of DOTF:

Gasping for another breath.
She rose, screaming at closed doors.
Seductive faint mist forging
through the cracks in the wall.

I shant resist.
In tears for all of eternity.
She turned around and faced me for the first time.

Run away, run away.
Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air.
That day came to an end.

-

My favourite is in Black Rose Immortal.

I have kept it
The awakenth symbol
Hidden inside the golden shrine
Until we rejoice in the meadow of the end
When we both walk the shadows
It will set ablaze and vanish
Black Rose Immortal

Sounds comepletely senseless to me, but it has an incredible kind of morbid mood and violence that rises it above the other lyrics to me.

-

Judging the best lyrics on all albums, i have to say the winner is: Ghost Reveries. Only Hours Of Wealth would not be worse, if it was an instrumental. We heard those lyrics in hundeds of other songs bofre