Opeth's New Musical Direction...Does It Please You?

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
The melodic guitars fled after the first two albums...and now the sound and lyrics are more evil-centered.

Does this please you? Or do you enjoy all of the input from Opeth?

And do you think the direction of the new album is going to reflect the last album, GHOST REVERIES???

I find the newer sound, like what's found on Blackwater Park and Deliverance, to be very awesome. It's not the same thing as most death metal, and as you said it's a little bit less rhythmic. If you compare it to, say, Dark Tranquillity, you can hear the contrast between Opeth's chaotic sound that doesn't really have a pace, because it doesn't have an obvious beat, and DT's fast, aggressive sound. What I mean by this is that Opeth's guitars in the newer albums don't play according to the drums all the time. They play in time, but other than the drum beat, there is less of a rhythm. A riff can ascend or cycle taking a certain amount of beats per chord once and then be played faster again the next time. It certainly has a speed, but because there isn't a drum that goes and dictates when musical events (chord changes, etc) happen, as you can hear in, for example, Lost To Apathy, it feels like you have less to compare too. The music has feeling to it, very much so, but that feeling isn't created by the music getting in your face loudly and quickly. I like the new sound, it's a much more fluid and unique sound.

The melodic guitars fled after the first two albums...and now the sound and lyrics are more evil-centered.

And do you think the direction of the new album is going to reflect the last album, GHOST REVERIES???

yes im pleased that they gave up songs with no direction and no central concept. with MAYH, opeth started building concepts, i definitely praise that.

Watershed will be badass if it expands on GR (well it'll be badass regardless, but moreso if it's another step in the direction GR took)

Melodic guitars are still there :rolleyes: imo anyways.
They just don't harmonize as much as they used to, which is perfectly fine with me, overuse of guitar harmonizing gets boring. They have a much more polished sound today compared with the early albums. I honestly don't think anything Opeth puts out with ever make me unhappy. :headbang:

Hey everybody this is a first post for me, so hello.

I just have to say that I have no qualms with anything that Opeth has done over the years. I love the evolution of sound that they have been going through and I believe that wherever they end up next--which seems to be a more jazz fusion type of style according to some reports--will be fine with me.

I am completely extatic with the direction Opeth are going in!! I'm a lover of progressive music, and Opeth are definitely at the top!! :kickass:Opeth is a band that will always evolve and continue to progress. The problem with a lot of bands today is that they stop evolving and turn flat and boring.

That is, the bands that choose to evolve at all. The flat, boring crap can easily be found on the radio.:puke:

When the evolution and progression ends, so does the magic.:cry:

I can't ever see that happening to Opeth. :Spin:

The only mistake Opeth ever made was writing "Black Rose Immortal." Now I have the misfortune of hearing some jackass yelling it out every time I see them live.

I feel they improve upon their style with every new release and I am pleased with that. Opeth has never disappointed me so I am sure the new album will continue along the same line.

So you like the TGC music video?

What does the TGC video has to do with their musical direction? That is what this thread is about. :)

I didn't like the video, but neither did the band and by the looks of it, they didn't really have much of a say when it came to it.

I like all opeth releases, but I liked their early stuff with the awesome guitar harmonys and cool lyrics the most. Twilight Is My Robe rules!!!

I like the early Opeth albums better, up until the Steven Wilson influence. I would be dissapointed if the new album was more similar to Ghost Reveries than the first four albums... except "Hours of Wealth" which is one of my favorite songs!

What does the TGC video has to do with their musical direction? That is what this thread is about. :)

I didn't like the video, but neither did the band and by the looks of it, they didn't really have much of a say when it came to it.

Oh, the irony of claiming my post is out of place while you respond to a question I asked someone else.

Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour - about 1.5 pounds a year. By 70 years of age, an average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.

That being said...

...I apreciate the evolution of band. At least it proves they are spending time and money on improving thier style...ultimately satifying fans with something fresh and interesting on a regular basis - as opposed to meeting in the studio to quickly compose a half-ass knockoff of the previous record. Opeth, IMO, is one of the most creative bands ever known.