What new direction should Opeth take?

What new direction would you like Opeht to take?

• Use of keyboards

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Use of techno effects

• Change of structure: More verse/chorus/verse

• Change pf Structure: More progressive style

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Less Growling Vocals

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • More Whispering Vocals

• More use of Piano

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Keep them the way they are!!!

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • They should do a project with Fred Durst!

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I don't know or care, they can do whatever the hell they want!

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • They can do whatever they want, and I will Love them regardless!

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

The choices in the poll aren't MY views if that's what you are saying. I don't love them regardless. If Opeth Started sucking, I would do to them what I did to metallica a few days ago. I sold all my Metallica CD's.
Now why would you go and sell ALL of your Metallica albums? If you're in it solely for the music, wouldn't you want to hang on to the first few albums when they were pretty good? Why ditch them all based on what they're doing today? The quality of those old albums has not gone down as a result of them making shit today.

Originally posted by godisanathiest

I know if you growl a lot you get noids (??) on ur vocal chords that fuck up ur voice majorly after a while. And I don't want this to happen to Mikael

Nodules :p can happen weather you growl or sing properly. It all comes down to technique- if your throat is doing all the work, then yeah, it will get tired(nodules are scar tissue, I think). Breathing properly, and getting your volume from the diaphragm (sp??) can reduce the risk. I've heard the Mike can scream for about 30 secs, and judging from the sound he gets, he seems to be breathing ok. Pop singers can get them- non-opera singers tend to work more from the throat, it's just the technique that's required. Opera singers use their lungs rather than throat, so it's less common for them. Nodules are able to be recovered from, though. It will only wreck you permanently if you do nothing about it and continue to sing (Arch Enemy's vocalist has been banned by her doctor from singing for 2 months. I think Jonas from Katatonia must have had a similar thing, he blew his throat out pretty bad back when he growled).

Originally posted by Useful Idiot

Now why would you go and sell ALL of your Metallica albums? If you're in it solely for the music, wouldn't you want to hang on to the first few albums when they were pretty good? Why ditch them all based on what they're doing today? The quality of those old albums has not gone down as a result of them making shit today.

Good point, but I don't need those albums anymore. I've matured from that music. And If I really need a metallica fix, I can download their mp3's.:p

Hmmm. I find a huge paradox here. IMO Piano is just one form of keyboards. It is strange you can't get "eerie feelings" from other keyboards. -Villain

Nice one...I didn't notice it myself when I wrote it, but it's because I know what I know and didn't share...just answered "Noooooooo." Here, let me try to explain.

I love the use of piano in their music. The ah...full-bodied sound of it with metal has a more satisfying effect on me than an electrical version. (keyboards/synthesizers) I don't HATE keyboards. I completely love Bombay Vindaloo from DT. The guy's amazing on the keyboards. I don't, however, want this sound incorporated into Opeth's sound. I like the piano and not the keyboards with Opeth.

I guess if you don't see the difference, then I'm not explaining why I feel this way correctly and...well, I'm sorry! But they're totally two different sounds/feelings I get from the two.

Opeth + Piano = :) I'm very pleased.

Now take Opeth/Piano + Acoustics = :D When this songs on, most actually, my mind just sort takes everything else and goes:

"We now have control. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the deepest mind to...THE CITY OF THE MOON! Please stand by." :tickled:

OK, seriously though. That's why I really like Patterns In Ivy. I feel I practically stand alone there...but hey, better for me then! That's one more song off the new album that I enjoy more. :p

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
What kind of new direction would you like to see opeth take?

I'd personally love to see more piano, a reformed song structure (less 12 riffs, more progression), longer songs, more vocal whispering (Like on the first two albums), and more albums!!!!

Things I'd hate to see opeth do:

Adopt a verse/chorus/verse structure
Use keyboards
Lose the growls
Use any electronic music
Do any split albums, or half albums (Like COF or emperor)
Stop

What would you like to see the band do. Change is great, when change is for the better.
Lose the growls

Lose the growls :err:, FUCK YOU!!

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
Lose the growls

Lose the growls :err:, FUCK YOU!!

yeah fuck you :heh: . although during my first week of hearing opeth i liked the clean vocal songs better, and wanted the same. (well i wanted a clean vocal side project) but i absolutely positively love the growls after that first week, i just had to get used to it as it was new to me.:loco:

Why the fuck is use of techno effects even an option? and would the person who voted for it please explain yourself.

What kind of new direction would you like to see opeth take?

Seriously, I would love to see Opeth move into some sort of mixture between experimental noise and jazz/fusion. Kind of extrapolating some Blackwater Park tendency embryos :p

-------------------------------------
NP: Jethro Tull - Roots to Branches

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Wouldn't his voice be fucked if he had these nodules?

Not at all, they can be cured/ go away with treatment (I think they can operate if it gets really really bad, cut the buggers off or something like that, but that's a really drastic step). Jonas didn't sing on any of Katatonia's albums for a whlie, so that may have been a good recovery period for him.
Should have mentioned also, warming up and doing proper vocal excercises before singing/growling is a major preventative (as I found out a few weeks ago. Growled for about 10 minutes, but this is several years since I've done any proper singing. My throat was sore for 2 days! :mad: ).

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Not at all, they can be cured/ go away with treatment (I think they can operate if it gets really really bad, cut the buggers off or something like that, but that's a really drastic step). Jonas didn't sing on any of Katatonia's albums for a whlie, so that may have been a good recovery period for him.
Should have mentioned also, warming up and doing proper vocal excercises before singing/growling is a major preventative (as I found out a few weeks ago. Growled for about 10 minutes, but this is several years since I've done any proper singing. My throat was sore for 2 days! :mad: ).

Phew :) Now I can relax. Well, u know what I mean neway! If I growl once (I did it at a party the other day) my throat starts to hurt like fuck :cry:

Oh yeah, and Kushantaiidan, Opet is female ;)