Beware your chicken tikka

Wenda

Lady LORD
Jul 28, 2003
In a windowless void
www.myspace.com
We were interested to find an article written by John Bingham in The Scotsman about the over-use of colourings in the ever-popular chicken tikka masala (tandoori and butter chicken) – and Australia’s not much different in this regard. In just one county of England, 57% of Indian restaurants were found to use “illegal and potentially dangerous” levels of the dyes tartrazine (E102), Sunset Yellow (E110) and Ponceau 4R (E124). These are all linked to hyperactivity in children, as well as all sorts of nasty symptoms too many to mention. Norway is the only country to have banned all three of these, Finland has banned tartrazine and Sunset Yellow, and only Ponceau 4R is banned in the USA. The colours are used to fulfill customers’ expectations, although we all know the colour makes absolutely no difference to the taste of the food.

This is interesting. I thought that virulent yellow-orange colour of a tikka-masala was achieved by using saffron, though given that saffron is one of the most expensive substances on the damn planet, I shouldn't be surprised that restaurants use food dyes. I know it doesn't fucking come out of *anything* if you spill tandoori.