BEYOND - THE OFFICIAL THRESHOLD FAN CLUB

Finally got round to checking out "Beyond" - very cool! Being a complete geek, I particularly enjoyed the song analysis and gear sections - more of those next time please!

Suggestions - I think there's been some mention of tour diaries, which I know have been done in the past. Even if no-one gets round to producing anything quite that thorough, a short piece giving a band member's take on a gig/tour would be interesting!

I don't do myspace, so please imagine very hard that I'm on the friends list...

You can email beyond@thresh.net

To briefly answer the couple of newer posts,

We have a lot of things planned (some written already) but will take a note of any comments here and elsewhere to set the priorities. We have already picked up an idea that we hadn't thought of so keep discussing!

We will also happily look at anything a fan wants to contribute - it can be edited, enhanced and pics added where necessary. And it doesn't need to be perfect. There's no promises that we'd use something but we will always look at a submission.

Re the RW interview, its inclusion doesn't really fit the "something you wouldn't find elsewhere" as it's been out there a while. It's a great interview and if someone has a link I'm sure you could upload a new thread on here that everyone could use. But for now it wouldn't fit the content style of Beyond. We'll try and get something better in the future to take its place!

And for those not on MySpace, it is very easy to set up an account, you don't need to have a fancy page and it is a great way to get early news about your favourite bands. Plus we're there too!

Thanks

Beyond

Good point well made - but you do need one to subscribe to a blog, or to be a "friend" (resulting in various updates to your own control page for example, plus some content may be friend only access)

And once you are on you can, as an individual, set your profile to private too

I'm not trying to advertise MySpace but it is easy to join and will ensure you get news of updates

But I am sure everyone will make sure UM is kept up to date too!

And talking of updates...

Uploading issue one of Beyond as separate blog entries (which could be viewed as one document by selecting "view all blog entries"), so that readers could take one article at a time if they wanted, has presented its own problem - any announcements done via the blog would then appear at the top of the "view all" and make it all look a bit odd.

So with a little fiddling about behind the scenes, the articles have all been consolidated into one. They are also still there as individual entries if that is a little easier to deal with. In short you don't have to use the view all feature to read it in one go!

Thanks for all the ideas, comments and especially the compliments. We still need more of your thoughts either here or to beyond@thresh.net

And no-one has answered the question about The Destruction Of Words in Three Tracks Explored....

Thanks

Beyond

Reading again the old FAQ's of Light And Space, I remembered a couple of things that would be cool to ask...

- a track called Aftermath which later became Babylon Rising. -> Endless Sea was later used as part of Into The Light, and later re-recorded for Replica, would be interesting if they do the same

- In 1999 the London show was recorded for possible release, but it was considered that the set was too biased towards the Clone album to warrant a proper release. -> That would be cool to hear, there should be some songs they never played live again. But it depends on the qaulity of the recording: I assume that the hidden track on Concert In Paris (The Latent Gene) is taken from that recordings, and it sounds a bit rough

- What happened to the hypothetical atmospheric version of Surface To Air once mentioned? Richard and Karl worked on this at the same time as Life Flow (acoustic version), but it wasn't working too well and they never finished it. Mac did some great vocals though so maybe they'll look at it again one day.

- Excerpt from the Clone tour diary: "Jon pops in with a remix of "The Whispering" that's been done by Dave Taylor, which has been earmarked for the bonus track of the Japanese version of Clone if it's released there"... what happened to this song ? It's very likely that this remix will appear somewhere in the future, although probably not on a Japanese version fo Clone.

- Who has chosen the cover of Livedelica? The same artist was also responsible for Wounded Land and Psychedelicatessen, but was not used again after Livedelica. The band said the original concept sketch was much better! -> any chance to see that?

Is that enough for a "Ask Richard!" section on Beyond? :D

- What happened to the hypothetical atmospheric version of Surface To Air once mentioned? Richard and Karl worked on this at the same time as Life Flow (acoustic version), but it wasn't working too well and they never finished it. Mac did some great vocals though so maybe they'll look at it again one day.

- Excerpt from the Clone tour diary: "Jon pops in with a remix of "The Whispering" that's been done by Dave Taylor, which has been earmarked for the bonus track of the Japanese version of Clone if it's released there"... what happened to this song ? It's very likely that this remix will appear somewhere in the future, although probably not on a Japanese version fo Clone.

Looks like these two will have to wait for the next DTF!!!

We do hope to look at Paradox - The Singles Collection in issue two of Beyond and have a few ideas in hand.

As part of that it would be great to include some of your thoughts - full reviews, one liners, anything in between. Email us at the adress in the signature below. And don't worry about quality - we can look to mix anything in with what we have planned or show the whole thing you send us.

We've got a growing number of friends on our MySpace page (but still tell everyone you know would be interested) so let your thoughts be known to a wider audience!

You can get a few reviews HERE.
We've seen all of those but will only use things that are sent to us - that way we know for sure we have permission of the writer and can, if needs be, discuss what they think with them in a way that will be easier outside of a public forum.

We will of course look at the thoughts already on here and maybe quote some short excerpts but the underlying principal of Beyond is to offer something extra so just replicating what has already been posted wouldn't really fit that. We want Ultimate Metal posters to have a good reason to come along to the MySpace page too!

If everyone would rather post here that's fine - but from some of the emails we have received we know not everyone wants to always express themsleves in a forum, so we're just giving another option. We also want to hear from those that have posted here - there may be more they want to say that doesn't fit the thread here.

Tne Beyond myspace page needs a fan gallery!!! What about collecting pics of the fans with the members of the band or just showing up their t-shirts and so?

Have you been reading our "to-do" list?

We have a number of "gallery" ideas which will be launched soon and then we will be asking for fan photos on a number of different topics. We'll post on the MySpace blog and on here too when we are ready to receive them.

A new update blog has been posted - the main news is that we have uploaded Smile At The Moon onto the page. The three tracks featured in issue one are still there.

Keep sending your thoughts to us!!!

Hello

I'm very happy to see the new online blog/e-zine - definitely cool. But I'm wondering why you are planning on doing everything via MySpace? I know I'm not the only one who prefers not to have a MySpace account at all.

I mean, I can understand perhaps keeping the online blog/e-zine on there, but why not have a place for it on the official website too? Isn't that what the official website is for - providing interested visitors with information abooot the band? And especially when it comes to the gallery - why not do that on the official website and provide an update e-mail to everyone subscribed to the MySpace page? If Threshold didn't have thresh.net, then I could see why everything would be done via MySpace, but since they do have thresh.net, why bother with putting everything on MySpace, as opposed to just the latest album or touring news as many other bands do? It seems to eliminate a need for thresh.net

Glad you like the first issue of Beyond:headbang:

To answer your "why MySpace" query...

The short answer is please remember that Beyond is the Threshold fan club, a separate entity to Threshold but of course linked.

The whole concept of Beyond is to try and give fans something extra - a little insight here, a mini exclusive there. The thresh.net site carries the live news, the what's happening now stuff. Beyond is looking at what has gone before and building on what is already known so should happily exist as a separate entity. The idea of having it as a section of the main band site was considered but that would have also meant a certain amount of programming to get it all to work. There were a number of factors that made that difficult and the capabilities of MySpace made it a sensible choice.

The coexistence of band sites and MySpace isn't uncommon - in fact most bands have a presence in many areas (Threshold has a Facebook page too for example). It is totally understandable that some people don't want a MySpace account but I have to say it is easy to manage it so that you only have what you want on it. There are thousands that do have these accounts as our 1300+ friends already shows. That said you don't need an account to read our blog.

The reason for that is because the underlying purpose of Beyond is to help support the band and spread the Threshold word to as many people as possible. MySpace has the capability as well as a huge number of users that can be attracted by cross-pollenation with other band sites.

I would be amazed if updates on thresh.net didn't continue to coincide with updates on the Threshold Facebook and MySpace, with the pick of the news also distributed to the email mailing list. The beauty of the computer age is the speed and ease with which this can all be delivered and it is just becoming the norm. But please remember they are all "Threshold" - Beyond is the fan club.

Hopefully Beyond will have plenty of updates that will interest as big an audience as possible. But it won't contain anything that is released in the thresh.net news with the odd exception (such as uploading the excellent Smile At The Moon).

And as a post script, I would recommend starting up a MySpace account - very easy, as intrusive (or more importantly not) as you want, and if you are a friend of Beyond, Threshold or indeed anyone then you get notified when there are updates to any part of their sites.

I hope that helps answer your query! If you want to know more then post it here or email beyond@thresh.net

Thanks

Beyond

Thanx for the response. I didn't realize that the fanclub was being maintained as a separate entity from the band. So from that standpoint and the ease of MySpace, I understand why you've chosen to use MySpace as your website of choice. Dream Theater is my favorite band, and each of the various DT fan clubs have their own websites, altho as far as I know, they serve primarily as an online connection for fans who subscribe and receive a printed fanzine (which you obviously don't produce).

I still guess the one thing that I would think would be most appropriate to have on the band's website would be the photos section. I mean bands such as DT and even individual members of the band have their own MySpace accounts, but these serve primarily to give fans a heads up on the latest and greatest news. Things such as photos, the tourography and the like are all maintained on DT's and/or the band members' websites. But in Threshold's case, if they and/or the admin of the thresh.net don't want to have to be bothered with programming, then I guess this is the sensible alternative. I guess it just seems a bit odd compared to the roles I've always thought a band's website vs. their MySpace page would have.