Bi-amping etc

I know, what I meant by that is that the distance between the speaker and mic is the only part of the chain that can cause a phase shift...
so if you use the same mic and cab (without moving it), but just a different head, the signal should be absolutely in phase or 180 degr. out of phase.

I obviously don't check the phase relationship between mics etc by measuring the distance ;)

I should have worded that more clearly, my bad

Got it :wave:

Just a thought: Maybe, if you're fine with using 2 speakers (e.g. upper left and upper right), connect 2 amps (using the cab in stereo mode, on amp left and one amp right) and run pink noise to both amps. Then line them up in phase on the headphone with mic shifting. After that reamp both amps using the cab in mono, but of course using the mics that were before on the respective amps in "stereo setting". Didn't test it though, so I might be missing a detail that could make it unsuccessful.

I always blend different guitar amps.

My experience is the exact opposite, in my case it adds so nice flavours(imo;)).

But I dial in "blend-sounds" from the start. For example a nice more clean'ish distortion sound with some chunk but rather thin and a heavy gain sound for the growl( several db's lower).
It's always different but blending is the only constant in my guitar sound.

The one time I did this, I had to nudge the waveform of the second amp bit by bit until it sounded good. Once it sounded good, it sounded great! The waveform dickage is annoying though. There were definitely nasty mids before nudges. I used a GT75 and V30 mix though, so ymmv

I think I've brought this up in another thread but since I'm such a fanboy, I'll spam this here also..

http://www.airwindows.com/golem.html

This thing is just insanely handy on two mic sources. Like all Airwindows stuff, no fancy gui-bullshit. Just two sliders. It just works.. Great also for bass DI-mic and drum sample applications.

I recommend checking it out. Of course like all Airwindows stuff, AU only.

Well i used it in the past cause i was an intern at studio fredman. Don't think it causes phase issues but if you blend the 2 sounds together you get a completely new one and i think that is how you should think of it. Not 2 separate sounds just 2 sources that makes one sound if that makes sense :)

I think its just like using 2 mic's on one source aká cab. It totally alters the sound.

but when I blend two mics I really just get a new sound, when I blend 2 amps I get bloated mids

+1

i never got useful results. no matter how much i flipped phase. i´ve been even using the little labs ibp plugin from uad but it just didn´t do it for me.

I've managed it a couple of times, and it is a huge ball ache to get the two in phase properly

Great video. So with the HM-2 track he's running the JMP preamp into the Ampeg power amp? Am I understanding that right?

It sounds like he says he used a JMP and the V4 for the HM-2 track. I interpreted that to mean he sent the guitar signal thru both heads into seperate cabs and blended them into the 3rd centre track. But I am not certain just guessing. Interesting to see the HM-2 settings were not dimed.

Phase is no issue. Ever.

and if the distortion of the first amp doesn't behave like the second amp distortion?

e.g. both are in phase a the beginning but are out of phase later because of different distortion?