Big ask on behalf of death

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
So we (should) all know by now that Death will never again release a new album. This has put me in a fucked up head space as I only dicovered Death at the age of 17, the year that Chuck died.
I am now looking for more great Death metal. This is not by any means the begining of my search, I have found some great bands and albums within the genre (lose term), such as Daath, Amon Amarth, Decapitated, Necrophogist, Nile, Dark Tranquillity and some hit and miss-> meh bands (IMO) such as Obituary, Carcass, Morbid Angel and Psycroptic. I have just today checked out Cynic and Behemoth.
What really got me about Death was their intensity, the simplicity (of the older material) and the lack of everlasting blasting, which can get old.

So if you could, I'd love some recommendations of some intense, memorable death metal-done-well.

Cheers a ton.

Massacre, Dismember, Bolt Thrower, Dying Fetus, Malevolent Creation, Zyklon, Nasum (more Grindcore), Napalm Death, Nile, Vile, Entombed, Benediction, Vader, Hate Eternal, Deicide, Suffocation, Illdisposed, Konkhra, Capheranaum, Vital Remains, Cephalic Carnage, Misery Index, Kataklysm, Unleashed, Fleshcrawl, Fleshless, Sacrificium :) , Exhale (Sweden, but also more Grindcore), The Crown, One Man Army And The Undead Quartett, Six Feet Under, Dimension Zero, Gojira, Hypocrisy, Hypnosis, Koldborn, Laethora, Leng Tch'e, first 3 Extol CDs, Miseration

....... and many many more :headbang:

edit: well, off course not all of them can compete with Death but hey it's death metal

I think you would love old Paradise Lost such as Shades of God, Icon, Gothic and maybe Lost Paradise and Draconian Times.
No killer guitar solos but very melodic and memorable and simplistic. No blast beats either. I would start with Shades of God or Gothic.

As far as Morbid Angel, Blessed are the Sick is a must have as well as Alters of Madness. Anything with David Vincent really.

Obituary - Cause of Death. Once you realize how awesome the vocals truly are, you'll want more.

Arch Enemy isn't in your list but I'll assume you're already familiar with them.

Dimmu Borgir - Death cult Armageddon - I guess that would be black metal but borderline imo.

As far as Carcass, you may enjoy Swansong more than thier others. It has more melodic, simplistic songs that still kill.

Paradise Lost are an interesting one. I've got Gothic, and it's a very interesting sound that can either be hit or miss with a person. I'd recommend checking it out, just in case it's up your alley.

I think you would love old Paradise Lost

Obituary - Cause of Death. Once you realize how awesome the vocals truly are, you'll want more.

Arch Enemy isn't in your list but I'll assume you're already familiar with them.

Dimmu Borgir - Death cult Armageddon - I guess that would be black metal but borderline imo.

As far as Carcass, you may enjoy Swansong more than thier others. It has more melodic, simplistic songs that still kill.

I'll check out PL.

Obituary I'm already familiar with. Not so much their classic 80's material which I have yet to check out, but the early 90's material. There was some good stuff there, especially when they remembered to play a new riff after a few minutes, unlike the last album. The voclaist is indeed an awsome one, he was the standout when they played in Oz and gave me a big Chuck vibe!

AE- yeah, heard it all.

DB- Heard DCA and it was ok, nothing spectacular.

Carcass- I forgot that I had/ heard Swansong. Indeed a great album. I don't like Heartwork though.

Maybe I should have just asked for thrashy/ trad death haha. It would have been easier on all of us. I will repeat the part about "lack of everlasting blasting, which can get old." :p

Cheers guys

With PL, I'm thinking you should start with Shades of God, then Icon, then Dracomion Times if you want a tad more commercial or Gothic if you want a bit more darker and experimental.

Six Feet Under is fun to listen at times also.

Pestilence is kind of Death like. They started off sounding more like Carcass if I remember correctly. Maybe check out Testimony of the Ancients & Spheres.

Another cool/fun thing to listen to are tribute cds that have tons of death & black metal bands that I never heard of doing covers of groups like Death, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Destruction, Maiden, Priest ect.

I am a huge Death fan as well.

You should check out "Art Bleeds" by an Italian band called Gory Blister.

I know, it's a silly band name, but an incredible album. Reminds me alot of Death, but perhaps more technical.