Big Chocolate.

haha...dude....please....after listening to the unadulterated gayness of what you consider good music, how would ANYONE expect you to understand the appeal here (this is a 'metal' forum btw is it not?). Other than trolling as already stated, why would anyone choose to comment on something unappealing? "ooh, like is anyone as cool as me and think this like totally sucks?"

:popcorn:

*burrrdrrrrrweeeeeekuuuugrrrrrrr*

O yes, Rly.

lol. :D

Even though it's far from what I'm into and the genre's fans almost surely hate a lot of the music I like, I can understand why some are into the vocal style. I was into it for a few years because of how intense it seemed in a live setting but just grew bored of it for the same reasons stated -- mainly not being able to decipher the lyrics. I also got bored of music that's constantly fast and heavy without much dynamic variety.

With the exception of differences in technical music ability, it all starts sounding pretty much the same to me after a while, though I definitely appreciate the skill it takes to pull it off. No disrespect intended to anyone into the style. I can't pull off those vocals or a lot of the guitar playing even though I've been playing for quite a while and recognize there's a lot of talent in the field.

DUDE, i have been listening to these types of vocals for YEARS. Slammin' gore groove shit has been around for over a decade and that's where this vocal 'style' stems from.

To even mention that it was some kind of scene fad (which is true) but to assume that's ALL it is?

come on, bro.

I LOVE BIG C's VOX!!!!!!!!!!! =D

Well I would guess you liked it, I mean you did just record the King Conquer cd and their vocalist sounds like that.

Haha but with all joking aside I'm talking about when those types of vocals were big in the market.

Impending Doom - Nailed Dead Risen
Annotation of an Autopsy - ep
Early whitechapel 2 song demo (which you recorded amirite?)
Job For a Cowboy - Doom
The Irish Front
Ect ect

All of those albums came out around the same time and the fad for vocals at that time was like Big C, and all the bands have changed their vocal styles drastically in comparison

So IMHO it was just a fad, of course those vocals were around earlier and they are still around but that's when it was at it's peak

If he needs to cup the mic to sound BR00tal then I guess I called him weak.
is it this guy?
2029304141_8aa6aa8b0b.jpg

If the entire vocal style is based on the fact that you have to cup the mic then I understand why I never liked it.
Altough this guy sounds "better" than the chocolate dude + in that song the vocals don't sound as bad as normally when cupped.

THIS is ridiculous btw:
My dislike of falsetto has nothing to do with my age.

..but with the fact that you don't understand much of vocals in general.
What you're hearing is not falsetto.
My guess is that you're not knowing a lot about vocals and vocal techniques, which is ok, as long as you don't tell me that cupping the mic makes a strong vocalist/strong vocal technique. my little sister can do that too.
to each his own I guess.

Oh no you didn't

:yell:
:tickled:

I don't want to bash DM, just the fact that all the cupping the mic stuff is even more gay than autotune.

Yep you're right it's not falsetto, I only listened to about 2 seconds and had to turn it off. I guess it's about as repulsive to me as death metal vocals are to you.

But you said that cupped vocals sound shit recorded.
It seems you don't like death metal vocals, and it's not a matter of cupped vocals sounding shit when recorded.

+1 To Owen as well, Lamb of god sounds the same as this sort of stuff to 99% of people I have come across.

Yep you're right it's not falsetto, I only listened to about 2 seconds and had to turn it off. I guess it's about as repulsive to me as death metal vocals are to you.

But you said that cupped vocals sound shit recorded.
It seems you don't like death metal vocals, and it's not a matter of cupped vocals sounding shit when recorded.

+1 To Owen as well, Lamb of god sounds the same as this sort of stuff to 99% of people I have come across.

ok, but also those first 2 seconds aren't falsetto ;)
To be fair, I'm don't know how to call that style he does, I just call it high pitched singing (powermetalstyle maybe) I just know that it's not falsetto :lol:

Yeah I still think cupped vocals sound shit (so do the 2 clips posted in this thread). Don't know how the vocals for Suffocation were recorded, if you say they are cupped than I have to believe it (I also think I read somewhere that this guy is famous for that kind of cupping vocals). They don't sound cupped to be though, or at least not cupped in a way I usually hear it...maybe he does it different, like only cupping it partial or something.

you're right I'm not a huge fan of old skool death metal, and this kind of "breeebreeeebrooouuggg" vocals.

Öwen;9443047 said:
Isn't that what most outsiders say about the whole genre of metal?

This is true, one of my friends who is not into metal honestly cant tell the difference between A day to remember and Strapping young lad... he claims its all just "BRAAAGHGHHHGHG"

This is true, one of my friends who is not into metal honestly cant tell the difference between A day to remember and Strapping young lad... he claims its all just "BRAAAGHGHHHGHG"

True, though some metal may be at a point where even its own fans can't decipher the vocals without reading a lyric sheet (or be able to read band names/album titles). :D I like a lot of the music but prefer vocals I can understand or the vocals just become a nonlyrical instrument -- or worse, detract from the music. But I'm also sure many fans of heavier metal don't exactly love Geddy Lee's vocal style or power metal vocals, either. :D

It really is a good point about non-metal (and non-rock) listeners thinking it's all just noise. As long as the music means a lot to the listener, it's all good. :Smokedev: