Big Fucking Earthquake

17kLm.jpg

Wow, that looks really bad, just saw the news today. Hope everybody stays safe, since there is a lot of seismic activity in the Pacific area.
It honestly seems amazing to me how people can live in such areas prone for natural calamities. But, then again, no place in the world is completely safe, I guess.

The tsunami waves came over to the west coast around 8 this morning. They fucked up a bunch of boats and docks in Santa Cruz.

most of the force hit the west coast at the extreme southern coast of oregon and far north coast of california.

pretty crazy stuff, that last pic is unreal. also remember that a 5.0 magnitude is 10x bigger than a 4.0 etc., so 8.9 is fucking epic status

It was upgraded to a 9.0 by a few organizations.
Then they were hit with an additional couple of 6.2/6.3's throughout the day with a 5+ every ten minutes or so.

Santa Cruz emptied out a little, and some boats were sucked out - mini bumper boat style - and a mini whirlpool was created, but Crescent was fucking smashed. Crescent no longer has docks and 35 ships were destroyed.

I heard the reporter on a live news feed last night say that it was 8000 times stronger than the one that hit Christchurch,dunno but I think they might've got that one wrong.

The problem is you are using the richter scale. We haven't used that since the 70's.

We currently use the moment magnitude scale, which is similar to the richter but way more accurate. Since it is a logarithmic increase, each jump in the numeric designation is an exponential increase. So for every numerical increment, multiply the power of the quake by 32. Now this is similar to the richter scale, except for a few tiny details. From what I remember, the actual richter instruments were never able to go past 7.0 without maxing out the graph. Furthermore, the lows on the momentum scale are lower that they are on the richter, whereas the highs are higher because of the way the energy output is calculated.

To put it in better perspective, an 8.9 earthquake is, according to the richter TNT chart, equal to 336 megatons. Whereas an 8.8 earthquake only releases 238 megatons. Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon constructed was only 50 megatons. Little Boy, the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, was only .02 megatons.
So essentially, all those 5.0 earthquakes that were occurring every 5 to 10 minutes was equal to 470+ metric tons of dynamite exploding each and every time.

The last meteor that hit the planet was ranked at a 12.5/13, which equates to 100 teratons of TNT. And the starquake we witnessed in 2004 would have been ranked as a 32 on the scale, which equates to 1×1021 yottatons. If that star had been within ten light years of us, our planet would have been wiped of life.

You guys are undercutting the shear amount of power that is roiling around below the surface!

Someone throw up the "more you know!" graphic!

Anyways, I just posted something in the What are you Doing THis Moment thread, but...

basically, its been a scary day here. We were quite far north, but didnt encounter any damage, or harm at all. We had to cancel the rest of our tour because it was all Tokyo and above, some cities being extremely close to the worst hit areas.
Its a pretty unbelievable vibe here. Pretty fucking scary.
Driving back SOuth to Kyoto today felt like driving through the Apocalypse. An uncountable amount of Army trucks, Police, FIretrucks and Ambulances were heading in the opposite direction; north. Not to mention the fact that the news was growing scarier and scarier as the day progressed.

Anyways, Im completely unharmed, but nonetheless, its pretty damn crazy.

Earthquakes happen everyday everywhere. Some are just immeasurable because they are so small.

Anyway, it really sucks that the power plant exploded. Let's hope it's not Chernobyl again :(