Big Fucking Earthquake

Those reactors are supposed to be built to contain the meltdowns, though, and if they work like they're supposed to, the amount of radiation that escapes into the atmosphere is relatively small.

However, a lot of scientists have expressed concern that nuclear plants are not being built up to specifications to save money.

The news reports here in Japan are extremely polarized and unclear. Alls I hope is that if one of the two Nuclear plants in question explode, that I will be safe and far enough away in Kyoto. I only fly out on the 21st.

EDIT: fukushima 1 was scheduled to close in march anyways, as it is quite old already. And yes, they had also said that if a meltdown happened, it should be released and contained underground in the containment facility.

( I dont know fuck all about Nuclear plants, this is just me attempting to regurgitate info I heard on the news)

The facebook thing is most likely fake 4chan garbage.

I doubt it. I've even had a facebook 'friend' put up a status update saying "You see what happens when you EAT WHALES!!!......". Morons abound unfortunately.

Mathiäs;9709275 said:
However, a lot of scientists have expressed concern that nuclear plants are not being built up to specifications to save money.

This is true from a global perspective, but for now I am solely going by what the actual physicists and reactor engineers are saying at ground zero - and they seem to be in consensus about the issues.

Again though, the reason damage isn't as bad as it could have been is because Japan has such strict regulations/building codes. Like I said, these reactors have just gone through Japans largest earthquake in history (one of the most powerful in civilized history to boot), and have survived relatively* unscathed. If this earthquake happened in Germany or America, it probably would have been much worse (not that those countries are ill-equipped per se, just that Japan is that good). The entire country is built around protecting themselves from earthquakes. That is there thing.

*The containment sections of the reactors were not damaged, but other sections connecting to the inner sections of said containment fields were. When the first quake hit the plants automatically shut down. The residual heat buildup is due to decay. Every problem dealing with the plants right now was originally due to cooling.

Radiation is definitely much worse than extra carbon in the air.

1. It depends
2. Back up your statement.
3. The video I posted is insanely awesome and enlightening.

Well, the last *televised explosion that occurred at plant 1 was due to a hydrogen explosion, so if the plants were similar (as in they are going to try to us hydrogen to cool the reactor again like with plant 1) damage would be contained to the area. Hell, the three people that were hurt (and one killed) at plant 1 during the explosion was due to the concussive force of the blast, not due to the radiation.

I'm starting to think the reason they wanted to save plant 1 was because of the disaster itself. After learning that plant 1 was due for decommission this month anyway, it makes sense that they would try to salvage the fucking thing (i.e. not dump as much seawater as possible into the core) because Japan is expected to have blackouts for... well... a while. Early projections forecast rolling blackouts for the next seven weeks :(, hopefully the aid from the countries that are helping will help shorten that time-frame. Apparently they also don't want to blow money out of their asses by destroying xxxxxxx amounts of dollars during a national emergency on top of everything else.

Edit: Aha! A clarification has appeared. I knew that the pressure that was building was due to the decay heat. What I thought however was that they were introducing the hydrogen into the turbine/coolant system. What this article states however is that hydrogen formed naturally from the water cooling the fuel rods. When the venting began, there was no carbon dioxide displacement, so the hydrogen and oxygen mixed and ignited.

I thought The hydrogen was introduced into a damaged coolant system as a last ditch effort to try to efficiently cool the system, when what actually happened was the damaged coolant system led to the environment which was then ignited by the venting process.

Either way though, that doesn't really change anything in this scenario. Damage will be minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It depends
2. Back up your statement.
3. The video I posted is insanely awesome and enlightening.

Well obviously if you compare getting an xray to a years worth of coal plant exhaust then the reverse is true. Even with cars running around and plants firing, we do not match the amount of carbon nature creates and consumes itself anyway. Deforestation is an issue, since it removes the ability for the earth to recycle.

Radiation on the other hand, with the exception of sunlight, is not a positive thing for any living organism.

I'm not necessarily against nuclear power. A friend of mine is a nuke tech on Navy subs, so he's explained basically what you posted about what's going on over there, and it's not currently a big deal. But to suggest that a meltdown (Chernobyl style anyway) is better than extra carbon emissions has absolutely no foundation.

Roundup/other pesticides, petroleum fertilizers, and GMO seeds/animals, are doing much more to hurt the earth than either a meltdown or everyone driving a suburban and leaving their lights on all the time.

Well obviously if you compare getting an xray to a years worth of coal plant exhaust then the reverse is true. Even with cars running around and plants firing, we do not match the amount of carbon nature creates and consumes itself anyway. Deforestation is an issue, since it removes the ability for the earth to recycle.

Radiation on the other hand, with the exception of sunlight, is not a positive thing for any living organism.

I'm not necessarily against nuclear power. A friend of mine is a nuke tech on Navy subs, so he's explained basically what you posted about what's going on over there, and it's not currently a big deal. But to suggest that a meltdown (Chernobyl style anyway) is better than extra carbon emissions has absolutely no foundation.

Roundup/other pesticides, petroleum fertilizers, and GMO seeds/animals, are doing much more to hurt the earth than either a meltdown or everyone driving a suburban and leaving their lights on all the time.

No one is suggesting that a Chernobyl style meltdown is better than anything. Just that a Chernobyl style meltdown is almost impossible (if not impossible all together) due to the design of the core system itself.

And frankly, radiation is radiation, and it comes from a variety of sources - it doesn't matter if it's origin is human or "natural". Your distinction between sunlight and other sources makes little sense. I mean, potassium is radioactive, and your body NEEDS it to function (a sodium potassium pump is used within the axon to transmit electric signals from neurons). By default, due to the natural radioactivity of many atoms - you yourself are radioactive. It could be argued that radiation is only bad for you in mega high doses (whether in a short period or long period of time)- for example, like the original (and presumed current) levels at Chernobyl and its neighboring areas. Aside from the worse nuclear disaster to ever hit humanity due to negligence, radiation levels vary frequently depending on your location, giving a set number of what to avoid (like the EPA does) seems to make a bit less sense since places in Japan and Brazil have levels of natural radiation that exist on par to about 10-15 times the recommended amount of exposure per year. The populations there have no higher risk of cancer or disease. This leads some to believe that the current EPA laws dealing with radiation doses are actually rooted in fear, specifically in regards to the Chernobyl incident. Hell, the average amount of persistent radiation in Pripyat right now is 0.9 mSv a year, five times lower than the level in New York's Grand Central Station - but if you ask anyone alive today they will most likely assume that Pripyat is completely irradiated and should be avoided at all costs. And then of course there is the discussion that radiation may be good for you, specifically at low doses (which is delving into the hermetic hypothesis vs the LNT hypothesis).

---

Looking at the media right now, it's pretty infuriating how bad of a job they are doing. The Finns, Germans, Americans, and some of the Brits are just going ape-shit for scary headlines and avoiding coverage of other way more important things.

Also, apparently one of Japan's volcanoes just erupted. Many have said that it has been erupting for quite a bit though, and there seems to be no reason to fear it.

I'm not going to comment on the GMO or carbon cycle comments, this isn't the thread for it.

Now, have some pictures:
NYT interactive picture map - very cool in its implementation. Check this out.

Nice, tidy and a bit informative. This entry refers to the negative ad campaigns currently in effect. Greenpeace should be ashamed.

HPS factsheet; faq on some random radiation based things

Blah blah blah everyone in the West is being told Fukushima = Chernobyl blah blah blah. My friends in central Japan are getting panicked phone calls from their parents begging them to leave the country and go home. Malware ads reporting insane bullshit like "tsunami crashes whales into Tokyo Tower." Hysterical rumors that iodine pills are being distributed nationwide.

Even more frightening is that experts predict a "mega-thrust quake" in the near future for the Pacific NW region of the US. This is the worst type of earthquake were a plate slides / buckles under another and thrusts pressure of course through the top plate. If this were to happen?...hard to imagine but it would be much more catastrophic than what Japan is dealing with. Being the likelihood of initially up to a verticle 30 meter separation in land mass...and then come the after affects? WTF!

since the reports everyone is freaking out, they're selling out of potassium iodide EVERYWHERE. i was in walgreens buying some soda and there were like 3 people in the vitamin aisle looking for it, and one of the guys was telling the other dude that my local gnc had completely sold out of it in 1 day and that people were buying another thing which contains a small amount of it as well as other things in hopes of taking megadoses of it (one of the dumbest things i've ever heard in my life).

it's kinda sad because the fear is literally driving people crazy and actually getting them to buy the wrong things that won't help them at all, could potentially hurt them and take a shitload of their money.