Big Warrel interview

Traxan

Mar 10, 2012
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/wa...ngs-about-replacing-jeff-loomis-in-nevermore/

On the status of the next SANCTUARY album:

Warrel: "The next record is coming. It's called 'Dead Again'. It will come next year, but late next year. It's way faster and more like old-school thrash metal, but sounding a bit modern and it's fucking heavy."

On his plans to release another solo album:

Warrel: "It's coming soon. Most of the songs are written. Next month, we start recording."

On the possibility of replacing Jeff Loomis in NEVERMORE:

Warrel: "I have mixed feelings about that. I don't think Jeff has the time to do another NEVERMORE record. I would do it. Replacing him… I'm not so sure you can do that. I could try and see what happens. There have been legendary guitar players that have been replaced. SAVATAGE is a good example, but Criss Oliva died and he was replaced and SAVATAGE went on to do brilliant records, even with a different singer. That's something that I would approach with a lot of trepidation. I don't know if it would work, but never say never. Maybe there will be another NEVERMORE record without Jeff, maybe there will be one with him. That's not my priority right now. My priority for the moment is my next solo record and then moving on to the next SANCTUARY record. I've got my time worked out for me."

maxresdefault.jpg

Anyway, sounds great.

I actually think 9 is their weakest. Dead Again at least has a few memorable tracks, and that "Gypsy" remix at the end is pretty great.

I know this is on your CD, but seriously...

Anyway, we're in agreement that this is one of their weakest albums. I just think it's their second weakest is all. They essentially got progressively weaker each release after Don't Break the Oath.

That is cool about Believe in Nothing. Had no idea.

However, Broderick as a potential replacement? Good player, extremely talented and all...excellent track record...but no. He's butchered quite a few songs live, sometimes cringe worthy. All I can say is Calvert & Smyth....should Jeff never return. Out of all the Nevermore shows, Smyth crushed it as the 2nd guitarist. Have no clue what went down at the end of his time - but he was the nicest dude after the shows too.

I know this is on your CD, but seriously...

Anyway, we're in agreement that this is one of their weakest albums. I just think it's their second weakest is all. They essentially got progressively weaker each release after Don't Break the Oath.

Crossroads is my favorite song on there. And it's not like the album sucks. Even "bad" Mercyful Fate is better than 99% of the other crap out there. it might just be that Dead Again was the first of their albums that I was disappointed with. And when 9 was released my expectations were lower so it seems better.

Crossroads is my favorite song on there. And it's not like the album sucks. Even "bad" Mercyful Fate is better than 99% of the other crap out there. it might just be that Dead Again was the first of their albums that I was disappointed with. And when 9 was released my expectations were lower so it seems better.

I'm there 100% with you on that. It doesn't help that "Dead Again" is not only too long, it's one of the most boring songs they've ever done too. It's weird though with 9, because I was actually hoping that it would be better. It essentially eschewed their sound to become "modern" and barely sounded like Mercyful Fate at all, and more like a bunch of King Diamond B-Sides.

Side note: it always bothered me how he pronounced Persephone on "Crossroads". "You are purse-ah-phone". I don't know if he intentionally did that either just to get it closer to rhyming.

Last edited:
neato. most interested in another WD 'solo' album, i found the variation of styles more compelling than 'homogeneous modern heavy metal' sanctuary reunion album. not really my 'genre'

yeah i seent all the 'hits' and a few of the more 'underrated' over the years when i started seein em around 2000, but straight thru would be amazing.
neato. most interested in another WD 'solo' album, i found the variation of styles more compelling than 'homogeneous modern heavy metal' sanctuary reunion album. not really my 'genre'
this probably reads harhser than i meant it.

Of course he's open to it. It's too late in the game to start new. The Nevermore gig will always hang over his head.

But like I've said before, someone of his talent is not capable of being 2nd fiddle in a mainstream act regardless of how nice the paychecks are.

When it happens, I doubt it'll just be a reunion show or five. It'll be an album and tour.

Ever been your own boss, quit and go to work for someone else? It's fun and easy for a little while, then it completely sucks doing shit someone else's way full time.

Ever been your own boss, quit and go to work for someone else? It's fun and easy for a little while, then it completely sucks doing shit someone else's way full time.

On a not exactly the same, but similar note: I helped lead a top raiding guild for five and a half years before it disbanded. I ended up joining another guild for three months as just another member, but just...ugh. Not only was the leadership full of moderately clueless assholes, the roster was like a revolving door of who-gives-a-shit? The guild I was previously in had an extremely small turnover. After that experience, I was officially done forever with any kind of large scale cooperative online stuff. Not worth starting over from scratch, and not worth putting up with other people that I could do better than.

Found another interesting interview.

Wait, when Warrel talks about DNB and the woman who inspired him and guided him, Patricia Candace Walsh - she was the one murdered by the serial killer truck driver??? I googled it after and she had left Seattle with her new Husband hitchhiking and was picked up by this lunatic. This guy made national, even world news.