Bitch about Work thread..

cara - isn't retail AWESOME? :smug:

my gripes are basically the same - general retail crap: bitchy and impatient customers, understaffed departments, shit from my supervisor, etc.

i'm a cashier, so i have to stand at a register for 8 hrs a day. i can't walk around the store and familiarize myself with our stuff so when people ask me where something is, i can hardly ever help them and have to pawn the question off on someone else and look dumb.

the way things are set up there, there's the garden dept (which has to be open from 8am - 8pm and can't be closed 5 min before even if there are no customers and it's raining), the contractor check out, and the front end, with regular registers and 4 self-check outs. i hate when i'm the only person at front end because i have to ring customers up in addition to managing self check out and it's pretty much uncanny how i'll be ringing someone up and have to call another dept for some price tag-less item they brought up (and of course no one will answer the phone) and someone will have an assisted item at one self check out and someone will need an item voided out at another self check out and someone will need to write a check, which i need to manually process, at another one - and i need to run all of this shit through ONE computer and everyone thinks that they are first priority with that shit.
it just gets ridiculously overwhelming.

beyond that, i really don't mind my job too much. the work is basically a no-brainer, the people i work with and the people in the other departments are some of the funniest, nicest, most awesome people i've ever met, and lots of nice customers, great regulars, etc.

I've been at this job for about 3 months and I'm happy to have it, but damn, the place is full of morons. The company has about 150 employees and currently about 200 temps (down from 300 a few weeks ago) to get a major job out on schedule. I do the payroll and share an office with the Human Resources person, so I get to/have to hear every minor complaint people have. Sometimes, it's hard to keep from laughing out loud at the stupid things people complain about. Last week somebody complained about a co-worker saying "she is constantly on the phone" when the person in question is the lead purchasing agent and wouldn't be doing her job right if she wasn't on the phone most of the day.

My major bitch is about people thinking they deserve anything they haven't earned. Since I started, there have been 2 different lawsuits started by temps. One temp was let go because they didn't need as many people. He is of Arabic descent, so it MUST be a racial thing and not because he was the slowest/shittiest of the temps doing what he does. The other lawsuit was by a guy that was having trouble getting his checks from the temp service, so he's suing the temp agency and the company (as if it is somehow the company's fault). He tried to get direct deposit set up, but gave them a voided check for an account that is not in his name so the bank wouldn't accept the deposit.

When they announced a few weeks ago that they would be letting a bunch of the temps go (because we didn't need them anymore), there were no less than 11 "accidents" within the next two days, all temps.

I submit all of the temps' hours to the temp agency. Every week, I get about two or three time cards that have no name on them. When their check is short, they come to me bitching about it, because I didn't send their time in right. :rolleyes:

As Cara knows, my boss is a bitch. I called in sick today because I've been dealing with a horrible bout of insomnia for the last 5 days and didn't sleep AT ALL last night. Needless to say, I was fucking loopy at 7 AM so I called in sick. She sighed and said "whatever" and hung up on me. Fucking cow.

As Cara knows, my boss is a bitch. I called in sick today because I've been dealing with a horrible bout of insomnia for the last 5 days and didn't sleep AT ALL last night. Needless to say, I was fucking loopy at 7 AM so I called in sick. She sighed and said "whatever" and hung up on me. Fucking cow.

Ya know, she really is just a rude piece of trailer trash. It's about time for you to quit again! You should schedule your last day to be the same as last year's ;)

(or sooner)

I really hate doing inventory stuff. I'm so incompetent and there's so many numbers and letters and I have to hurry and find all this shit in a huge whorehouse in a small amount of time and it's damn stressful.

My supervisor is a cool guy but he's so emotionless and robotic, it's unnerving.

Some people are very nice but some look at me funny. I kind of miss answering phones at Pizza Hut that was nice.

Lol, I didn't realize I put whorehouse instead of wearhouse until I finished typing all that.

I'm not looking forward to working the tax-free weekend. Apparently our system does not automatically take off tax for the applicable items, so we'll have to manually do so for each item. WTF. :erk:

If this were Delaware it wouldn't be a problem!

John - Hahaha, I started chuckling when I first read "whorehouse"

Last Friday I moved into the accounting office, rather than continuing to share the HR office with the HR woman (so I don't have to leave my desk every time somebody has some issue to discuss with HR). Instead of just moving my computer to the new office, the IT guy made me switch to a "thin client" computer. If you don't know what that is, it's basically a glorified network card. It has no CD drive, or even a hard drive, just a place to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse. All programs are run directly off the network servers. The IT guys love thin clients because they are much easier to deal with. They use less network resources and instead of updating programs on dozens of machines, they can just update it once on the server. Management loves the thin clients because they cost about 1/3 as much as a real computer.

OK, I understand why they want to make the switch, but I run my work desktop at 1280 x 1024 pixels. The thin client machines are fixed at 800 x 600. You cannot adjust any desktop settings. None, at all. You can't even put up a freaking wallpaper. So, I get to deal with using about a 1/3 of the screen that I'm used to and get a wonderfully depressing blue-gray desktop. Also, when I'm working, I usually have at least 4 spreadsheets open and 2 online payroll applications running and constantly ALT-TAB'ing between them. The thin client has trouble dealing with ALT-TAB switching, often taking up to 10 seconds to switch over.

After about 6 hours of trying to work with this POS thin client, I emailed my supervisor (who works at our sister company across town) and told her I needed to go back to a real computer. Thankfully, she convinced the powers that be to make it so.

I have nothing to do at work right now. I'm just wandering around and that's embarrasing.
The printer section is pretty slow at the moment, so the bookbindery section (where I work at), is on hold. It's been like this for a whole week now, it's pretty irritating.
Might just as well go home now.

Looking forward to this evening though since I get to rehearse with the band for the first time in 3 fucking months.

I wish people would realise that when I'm on shop floor (which is a lot) and I'm simply tidying up shelfs or putting items back in their places, it's because I'm a cashier. NOT a sales assistant, I can't tell you how much Sealent you need to fill the gap in your roof, or wether or not a hinge will work in an MDF surface. Fuck off and ask one of the guys in the blue shirts.

okay, how this? My new grocery manager for night crew is gonna be a guy that used to work in the home department. he got caught stealing and took a piss test and FAILED it! instead of firing the guy, he gets fuckin' promoted to aforementioned postion of grocery manager. I hate the guy without even knowing him.

I had to work 10 fucking hours today. It was horrible. So many numbers to memorize. So much shit to do. I have no defined job role I'm a peon that's expected to instantly catch on to all these computer operations all these numbers to memorize be able to find shit very quickly. Then deal with customers when I venture out of the wherehouse.

I'm so stressed.

A lot of my co-workers are pretty cool but some of them are just condescending as fuck. Like this really fat guy with gigantic arms, someone I hate to admit could wreck me. I'm deaf and he mumbles so twice I had to ask him to repeat what he said and he just looks at me for 7 seconds before he does.

My only friend is a little my pals girl working the smaller purchase register. I do talk to people but I don't think they'd consider me a friend.

:cry:

I get to lift heavy things though, which is nice.

Yep, work sucks. Although I am a *tiny* bit pleased because my manager called me today and asked if she could shorten my schedule for Monday by two hours, because a new-hire needs some training hours. Yay. But still, work, ugh :bah:

okay, how this? My new grocery manager for night crew is gonna be a guy that used to work in the home department. he got caught stealing and took a piss test and FAILED it! instead of firing the guy, he gets fuckin' promoted to aforementioned postion of grocery manager. I hate the guy without even knowing him.
eww, it's basically the same for me when i work out in the garden department. people expect me to know the exact location of stuff (inside, i can just point them to a department and someone who knows shit haha) and how stuff works, what's best for what, etc. and half the time when i have to call one of the garden dept guys, the phone's busy or they don't answer. ugg.

and i still hate self-checkout badly.

but other than that, i like my job a lot more now than i did when i originally posted in this thread hahah

I had to work 10 fucking hours today. It was horrible. So many numbers to memorize. So much shit to do. I have no defined job role I'm a peon that's expected to instantly catch on to all these computer operations all these numbers to memorize be able to find shit very quickly. Then deal with customers when I venture out of the wherehouse.

I'm so stressed.

A lot of my co-workers are pretty cool but some of them are just condescending as fuck. Like this really fat guy with gigantic arms, someone I hate to admit could wreck me. I'm deaf and he mumbles so twice I had to ask him to repeat what he said and he just looks at me for 7 seconds before he does.

My only friend is a little my pals girl working the smaller purchase register. I do talk to people but I don't think they'd consider me a friend.

:cry:

I get to lift heavy things though, which is nice.
can you carry around a little notepad or something to write numbers down on?

and when i first started working at home depot, and for a while after, i didn't really think the people there liked me. i talked to some of them but didn't think they really considered me anything other than "that new girl who don't know anything" haha but the longer i was there, the more confident i got around people and opened up to them and now i consider myself good friends with a lot of the people i work with. just give it time.

i like working 10 hours, especially If I'm only scheduled for days a week cause i'm still getting my 40 hours. my next check should be... 46.5 hours? yeah, something like that.