Black Metal Myspace

Helm

Maybe on Luna
Mar 30, 2002
www.suctionfunnel.com
From Velvet Cacoon's website: http://www.velvetcacoon.com/news/

Hey, me again! A lot of e-mails came my way after I updated the site, too many to respond to all. Many people were saying that websites on MySpace were popping up, using the Velvet Cacoon band name and featuring songs supposedly from our new album. Our fans are very sly like that! heeeheee!
As always, the very website you are reading this message on, velvetcacoon.com, will be the only place anyone from the band ever puts any valid and official information up on. It is where you will first hear music from the new album as well, see concert listings, and anything else related to Velvet Cacoon. That should go without saying, but over the years we have managed to acquire some very very obsessive fans who, I guess, think we enjoy their attempts at flattery when we really sorta wish they'd never discovered us in the first place.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) the new album is still in post-production and we are looking at a late September/early October release date. As with "Genevieve", there will be no "internet leak" of the album since both we in the band and Full Moon Productions have certain plans in store. So until then, any songs you hear on MySpace or wherever your internets may guide you are not from us or any album we've made.
Velvet Cacoon once made use of MySpace in order to "reveal" a "hoax" about material we "stole" to the largest audience possible, and once that revelation was made we took the site down. We think MySpace is a bit tacky and would never use the site to promote Velvet Cacoon in a serious manner. MySpace is "a place for friends", certainly no place for us.

Furthermore, the website known as MySpace is owned by News Corp. (Rupert Murdoch), who bought MySpace just over two years ago. While this may mean very little to the average teenager who just wants to click away and hear his or her favorite black metal bands putting up their latest and (hopefully) greatest songs, what it really means is that anytime you click on those ads that blink, bounce and generally bombard you on MySpace, you are generating revenue for the same company which has made significant investments in things like:

Wal-Mart
Fox News
George W. Bush
McDonalds

What a fantastic list, no? Those companies eat, sleep, live and breathe black metal ideals!

In the age of convenience where corners are cut and sacrifices are made in the name of ignorance, we just wanted to point this out. Many black metal bands likely contend they are somehow "screwing the system" by using a right-wing, Christian owned website like MySpace to "spread the word of misanthropy and Satan", but we know that's just a deflection of hypocrisy. Why respectable bands continue to invite fans to a website which keeps tabs on the activities and preferences of its registrants in addition to exploiting the "Private Message" feature in the name of "Captive Target Market Research" is beyond us, but we think any band who uses MySpace to promote themselves really cares more about receiving attention than their supposed message.

All it takes is a little research and investigation into the things services and companies you interact with on a daily basis to realize that a lot of them are funded by and supporting causes, ideologies, political and religious groups who aim to disservice you in the end.

But hey, why be bothered with all that seriousness? Black metal is supposed to be fun! I'll stop talking about issues reserved only for scary interviews and mid-gig rants, and finish up by saying thank you very much for using your email application to communicate vocabulary with ourselves.

I don't think this band is notable for their music, but nice rant, flame guitar guy.

I agree about MySpace. I hate it. It gives us bands like Job for a Cowboy.

Velvet Cacoon still sucks for musical and other reasons. I loathe joke bands.

I like MySpace because aside from the networking aspect, which allows quick communication with users via email, comments, etc., it allows one to stream songs rather than deal with bands' individual websites for samples. Essentially, it's about as close to a one-stop shop as you can get if you're looking to listen before you buy without downloading whole songs or even whole albums.