Black Metal

Definately a second on the Enslaved here. Soundmaster and I have been discussing them a bit of late. Progressive, but definatively black at the same time. In any case, one of the better metal bands out there right now. They've got both straight up old-school black records (older albums) and progressive (the three latest).

I'd add old-school Bathory like ...The Return, and Venom's Black Metal and Welcome to Hell. Though perhaps you are all too familiar with them. Of course, the first three Mercyful Fate albums, though not prototypical "black metal" are, in essence, jet-black, dark, straight from the pit of hell records.

ElectricWiz said:
Definately a second on the Enslaved here. Soundmaster and I have been discussing them a bit of late. Progressive, but definatively black at the same time. In any case, one of the better metal bands out there right now. They've got both straight up old-school black records (older albums) and progressive (the three latest).

I'd add old-school Bathory like ...The Return, and Venom's Black Metal and Welcome to Hell. Though perhaps you are all too familiar with them. Of course, the first three Mercyful Fate albums, though not prototypical "black metal" are, in essence, jet-black, dark, straight from the pit of hell records.

Yeah i already listen To them

Bathory,Venom, ANd Mercyful Fate kick ass

Being that the term “black metal’ is rather broad, I wanted to flesh out my earlier recommendations.

If you’re interested in pure, cold, grim, angry-as-f*ck early 90s style black metal, then you’d probably want to start with something by Satyricon. They’re one of the oldest bands on the scene that actually kicks ass (many of the original bands were simply…lacking). Their magnum opus is “Nemesis Divina” which is a classic slab of aggressive – but highly melodic – no frills black metal.

If you seek something more ambitious, you need look no further than the mighty Emperor. In my view, they were the best band of the 90s (along with Opeth) and really created something unique. The music is highly melodic and grandiose. They’re very symphonic and, at times, overwhelming. Bandleader & songwriter, Ihsahn, is a genius. In my view, they have two must-haves for metal fans: 1994’s “In The Nightside Eclipse” and 1997’s “Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk”. The former is as atmospheric as music gets. The vibe is gorgeous while simultaneously grim. But be warned: the production is rather tinny. That’s usually what black metal bands were striving for. The latter is arguably the most intense record since “Reign In Blood”. It’s almost a strain on your senses to sit through all 44 minute of it. Mandatory.

If you want something that combines the speed and thick riffs of thrash with the melody and darkness of black metal, seek out anything by Dimmu Borgir. However, be aware of the heavy cheese factor of this band. In some ways, they’re the black metal version of early Manowar (in terms of over-the-top cheesiness…but not to the degree of Manowar). They’re also very keen on the use of keys, string sections, and wonderful ‘clean vocals’. My favorite is their 1997 record “Enthrone Darkness Triumphant”.

You might also want to try Immortal. They’ve got arguably the best vocalist in black metal (although that’s not saying much. LOL). But, anyway, they’re another razor sharp, no frills band….they don’t rely much on keys/strings, etc. It’s all about the awesome riffs. Their last record “Sons Of Northern Darkness” is their best, IMO.

If you want something different from the Norwegian version of black, try the Swiss band Samael. They’re heavily influenced by Celtic Frost and their music shows it. However, it’s clear that they’re technically far more talented than the great Frost. Their drummer/keyboardist is classically trained and even did an album of Samael songs arranged on classical piano! The bands later albums have fused black with techno/industrial and aren’t as strong as their 90s classics. Seek out either 1994’s “Ceremony Of Opposites” of 1996’s “Passage” (which I consider their magnum opus).

Finally, I’d like to say some words about a band I only ‘discovered’ this week: Enslaved. They’ve been on the scene since day 1; they’re one of the originators. However, their last three albums are totally different & unique….and out of left field. VERY progressive, very beautiful. Great melodies…great use of atmospherics…great, original riffs. Simply a unique band. I highly recommend any of their most recent three albums: Ruun, Below The Lights, Isa. Their older stuff is pure, no frills traditional black metal. Their newer stuff is like a mix of black metal, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and, perhaps, Opeth. Great stuff.

Hellhammer
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Mayhem
Emepror
Burzum
Darkthrone
(Old) Behemoth
Graveland
Zyklon-B/Zyklon
Drudkh
Dissection

Eyes Of The Insane said:
Hellhammer
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Mayhem
Emepror
Burzum
Darkthrone
(Old) Behemoth
Graveland
Zyklon-B/Zyklon
Drudkh
Dissection

this is what im looking for

Nice and simple

SoundMaster said:
Being that the term “black metal’ is rather broad, I wanted to flesh out my earlier recommendations.

If you’re interested in pure, cold, grim, angry-as-f*ck early 90s style black metal, then you’d probably want to start with something by Satyricon. They’re one of the oldest bands on the scene that actually kicks ass (many of the original bands were simply…lacking). Their magnum opus is “Nemesis Divina” which is a classic slab of aggressive – but highly melodic – no frills black metal.

If you seek something more ambitious, you need look no further than the mighty Emperor. In my view, they were the best band of the 90s (along with Opeth) and really created something unique. The music is highly melodic and grandiose. They’re very symphonic and, at times, overwhelming. Bandleader & songwriter, Ihsahn, is a genius. In my view, they have two must-haves for metal fans: 1994’s “In The Nightside Eclipse” and 1997’s “Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk”. The former is as atmospheric as music gets. The vibe is gorgeous while simultaneously grim. But be warned: the production is rather tinny. That’s usually what black metal bands were striving for. The latter is arguably the most intense record since “Reign In Blood”. It’s almost a strain on your senses to sit through all 44 minute of it. Mandatory.

If you want something that combines the speed and thick riffs of thrash with the melody and darkness of black metal, seek out anything by Dimmu Borgir. However, be aware of the heavy cheese factor of this band. In some ways, they’re the black metal version of early Manowar (in terms of over-the-top cheesiness…but not to the degree of Manowar). They’re also very keen on the use of keys, string sections, and wonderful ‘clean vocals’. My favorite is their 1997 record “Enthrone Darkness Triumphant”.

You might also want to try Immortal. They’ve got arguably the best vocalist in black metal (although that’s not saying much. LOL). But, anyway, they’re another razor sharp, no frills band….they don’t rely much on keys/strings, etc. It’s all about the awesome riffs. Their last record “Sons Of Northern Darkness” is their best, IMO.

If you want something different from the Norwegian version of black, try the Swiss band Samael. They’re heavily influenced by Celtic Frost and their music shows it. However, it’s clear that they’re technically far more talented than the great Frost. Their drummer/keyboardist is classically trained and even did an album of Samael songs arranged on classical piano! The bands later albums have fused black with techno/industrial and aren’t as strong as their 90s classics. Seek out either 1994’s “Ceremony Of Opposites” of 1996’s “Passage” (which I consider their magnum opus).

Finally, I’d like to say some words about a band I only ‘discovered’ this week: Enslaved. They’ve been on the scene since day 1; they’re one of the originators. However, their last three albums are totally different & unique….and out of left field. VERY progressive, very beautiful. Great melodies…great use of atmospherics…great, original riffs. Simply a unique band. I highly recommend any of their most recent three albums: Ruun, Below The Lights, Isa. Their older stuff is pure, no frills traditional black metal. Their newer stuff is like a mix of black metal, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and, perhaps, Opeth. Great stuff.

well thanks for the info

but so u wont have to do that again

as long as its black metal its ok with me

unless if i say otherwise

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

Immortal - all their albums

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom sathanas
Chimera

Bathory - all albums from the debut to Hammerheart and perhaps Nordland 1 & 2

Dimmu Borgir - P.E.M (yeah i know not considered BM anymore but i liked this album plus you might want to get earlier albums like Stormblast)

Old Man's Child - In Defiance of Existence

Dissection - Storm of the light's bane (difficult to classify but awesome album)