Black Sabbath and Maiden?

I know that Maiden was a huge influence on Mikael when he was growing up. I remember him saying that Number of the Beast was an important album to him as a kid. Don't know if I've ever heard him specifically say that Sabbath was an influence, but I'm sure they were. Especially since the cover of MAYH was a nod to the cover of the first Sabbath album. As for myself, personally, I was a HUGE Maiden fan when I was growing up. Still love them, but I don't listen to them much anymore. And I'm a huge fan of Dio era Sabbath. I can appreciate what they did during the Ozzy years and what a huge impact they had on the emerging genre of metal. I just personally can't stand Ozzy's vocals. Plus the rest of the band seemed to grow and mature so much more after Dio was at the helm. But that's just personal preference, I suppose.

Black Sabbath (Ozzy + Dio era) is actually my second favourite band after Opeth. The new album slays!!!
But I never really understood this big hype around Iron Maiden. They never really grew up on me.
I respect each Iron maiden fan, but please don't tear me apart when I say that I think Iron Maiden have no talent to combine their lyrics and atmospheres with their melodies. In my opinion, they just don't have the feeling for it.
In almost every Opeth song the melodies/riffs and the lyrics build a certain kind of atmosphere which is just consistent and excellent!
The worst example of Iron Maiden's "wrong-doing" is the song "The Number Of The Beast". It starts with this dark mysterious voice saying the introduction words and you expect an evil song about the devil and hell an everything and what happens (!!!?) - after the introduction starts a happy nice melody which sounds like "Dixieland" and you just think "WTF, this is a song about the devil? :zombie:"

Just my opinion...I'm sorry if I have offended someone with this statement...

Iron Maiden is a huge influence on Opeth and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is one of Mike's favorite records, so it's safe to say he thinks they're ok.

i love!!! black sabbath enough so to still play them every now and again...the master of reality album is actually possibly in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. As for Iron Maiden i loved them to growing up when i first got into metal i use to play number of the beast non stop, i dont find myself listening to iron maiden to much anymore, they will get an occasional spin on my record player if im in the mood

Maiden is a top-5 band for me, Sabbath a top-10. Maiden were one of the gateway bands along with GNR who got me into metal.

Sabbath & Mr Iommi are almost as important to me as my Penis is. Iron Maiden, I left ozzfest early a few years back since Sabbath canceled and Maiden played a pro-longed set to fill the empty slot, FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not that much for Sabbath, tho i like the Dio-era.
Maiden however, is one of my favorite bands. (top5)

Iron Maiden is a huge influence on Opeth and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is one of Mike's favorite records, so it's safe to say he thinks they're ok.

Oh that's right, now I remember that interview. There was a clip on Youtube somewhere where Mike was talking about his top ten favorite albums and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was one of them (The only other ones I remember were the second Zombies album and Led Zeppelin IV). So yeah, you can definitely say that Sabbath were important to him.

Oh that's right, now I remember that interview. There was a clip on Youtube somewhere where Mike was talking about his top ten favorite albums and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was one of them (The only other ones I remember were the second Zombies album and Led Zeppelin IV). So yeah, you can definitely say that Sabbath were important to him.

Yea it was top 5, I remember it was The Beatles' self-titled, Led Zeppelin IV, Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and that Zombies record.