blackened disco metal

Lord Kur

Feb 24, 2008
denver
i only have Sigh as a reference point since it may not be a huge genre. in one of their songs they bust into a minute long disco part and it kinda blends back into the song flawlessly. has anyone heard any other black metal bands who use disco themes?

i know it's a stretch but everything else has been done.

i never said they were. they just have a minute long disco part as i stated above. i'll look for what song it was

You're probably talking about one of the songs off Imaginary Sonicscape (one of my all-time favourite albums) and I think the song is A Sunset Song.

I wish this genre actually existed. That Sigh minute is wonderful. No other band can mix genres long thought to be incompatible so flawlessy.

You're probably talking about one of the songs off Imaginary Sonicscape (one of my all-time favourite albums) and I think the song is A Sunset Song.

I wish this genre actually existed. That Sigh minute is wonderful. No other band can mix genres long thought to be incompatible so flawlessy.

yeah, that's the song. the disco part comes in at 3:55 out of absolutely nowhere. the song really isn't even remotely black metal but it sure does rule.

No blackened disco metal here unfortunately. Blacklodge are a good mix of electronica and black metal, not quite what your looking for but check them out anyways.

Yeah i don't know of any blackened disco metal. I only know of disco death metal bands, although there were a few songs of off Burzum's Aske that sound kinda like disco.

I'm starting to believe that The Dethalbum by Dethklok is disco metal. Something about the production and riffs... it's very dance friendly. Definetly the death metal album that I'd put on at a rave. I would definetly rave to Fansong and I could imagine slow-dancing to dethharmonic at a wedding.

No black metal influence there, though, sorry.

yeah i'm checking out the kovenant album and it doesn't have much in common at all with black metal. i'm liking the album but it's straight up industrial.

they do indeed have some disco funk stylings going on, though

whats the story about this band? name change? mainstream? i'll check them out

They started as a two-man Norwegian symphonic Black Metal band called Covenant, and they released In Times Before the Light, which is a rare classic. After that they picked up a few new members (Hellhammer, Sverd from Arcturus, Astennu from Dimmu), and recorded Nexus Polaris, an album which was much more technical with lots of Dimmu and CoF influences (but it's actually really good imo).

After that, they were sued in court by a Swedish EBM band of the same name, so they agreed to chance their name from Covenant to The Kovenant.

The name change coincided with a new musical direction toward more gothic/industrial metal, after dropping Sverd and Astennu. They released Animatronic which I still consider a great album, a good mix of gothic, industrial and black metal. It's a strange album in that it's not extreme enough for Black Metal fans but too extreme for Industrial/Gothic fans.

Later on they re-released In Times Before the Light but with the tracks completely re-worked and overlaid with industrial and electronic effects, to turn it into a pure industrial black metal album.

Their most recent album was SETI their worst by far as they have abandoned all traces of extreme metal and are pretty much pure industrial/gothic metal, and the album was lame, but not unlistenable.

They plan on released a double-disc album Aria Galactica later this year, hopefully, in which they claim a return to their old glory. We'll see about that.

To all of those who think this request is a joke...

...Had you heard the song Lord Kur was talking about, A Sunset Song by Sigh, you'd understand that this is a genre that... needs to be.

I will also look into Kovenant, then.