Blackwater Park – Deluxe Edition

BWP is Opeth's best album. Orchid is in 2nd.

Black metal.... I'm a bit sceptical. I am currently digging
my socks off to the so called melodic death metal bands,
like Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity etc. But black metal? Nah.

collapse have you tried Dimmu Borgir ever? they have awesome stuff, their new album is killer. BWP is indeed Opeth's best of what I've heard.

if someone says Arcturus is black metal, I'm gonna kill someone :) or maybe their first album could be but not the two latest. they are not even close to it nowadays.

I never really liked black metal. The only things I enjoy that I've heard are Emporer and Arcturus. If Arcturus even belongs. I haven't heard enough of the genre to get a total handle on it.

New Orleans,

I tried a track off their newest album some time ago, and I was
blown away. It was instrumental though, hehe. I downloaded
a few more tracks and I was turned off right away. Dunno what
it would be like now though, my taste has widened a bit since
back then.

yeah it's pretty raw. download one song: "Absolute Sole Right", that's great. if you like that, songs like "Kings of the Carnival Creation" and "Maelstorm Mephisto" rule too... great. the orchestrations are awesome... and the atmosphere.

that's only black metal band I like. and you seem to have pretty similar taste to mine :lol:

Originally posted by Smekermann
Hahah, people are suggesting Dimmu Borgir. That's funny, considering most of their albums SUCK ASS.

As for you, Mountain Dew, hating black metal because of the aforementioned reasons is a pretty fucking ignorant thing to do. There are shitloads of black metal bands that don't fall into that category. Of course, you wouldn't know about that since you just heard Nokturnal Mortum or whatever, and thought "omg ewwww these guys are so mean =(((((" and thus decided that all black metal is like that and therefore you hate it.

Here are a few bands/albums that you should check out before you go around saying you hate black metal:

Enslaved - everything starting from Blodhemn
Lux Occulta - Dionysos, My Guardian Anger and The Mother & The Enemy
Vintersorg - Visions from the Spiral Generator
Borknagar - everything
Ulver - Bergtatt

Listen to these, and then decide if you hate black metal.

(note that those are not my favorite albums or anything, these are just albums that I think don't fall into the "black metal is so mean and stuff, and they worship satan and make fun of jesus and like to dress liek ghouls omg scary =/", so if you reply saying "LOL UR FAVORITE BANDS SUX LORFL I AM KING OF WIT AND COMEDY" you're a fucking moron - and I bet there'll be at least one of you who'll do that, thinking he's so clever)

Mountain Dew? You're oh so clever. Great play on words their pal, you thirsty? First of all, my original post was concerning my thoughts on Opeth’s Deluxe Edition of Blackwater Park not on my hatred/disliked of black metal. Someone just happen to question my signature (which I recently changed to something less controversial (sarcastic tone implied) and I simply stated what it was all about. Now concerning my hatred/dislike for black metal it’s very simple. I can choose to hate/dislike any type of music I feel to do so regardless if my reasons are ignorant in your eyes or anyone else’s. Your assumptions that I haven’t listened to enough black metal or that I haven’t given specific group in the black metal genre “a chance” is way off base. I have listened to all types of metal for over ten years and I’ve probably heard it all, and yes I did go through a black metal stage. Not only did I listen to the bands you mentioned, I listened to plenty others. My decision on hating/disliking the black metal genre is well founded. It is based on what I heard, saw and read when I was into the music. I NEVER criticize any type of music until I hear it. For you to tell me the who, what, when, where and why judgments on my music is absurd. Next time you post, think, it might help.

:err:

Originally posted by Smekermann

Hahahah... Sorry about that Mountain MAN. I guess I just didn't look at your nick closely enough. Hah. Oops.

Anyway, so you went through a black metal stage, you heard ALL those albums I mentioned, and yet you still think black metal is about image, hating religions and whatever other retarded reasons you mentioned earlier in this thread? Wow. Sorry to say, but you're an idiot. I don't care how long you've been into music or how many other black metal bands you've heard. Fuck, you could be Father Metal for all I care, and you'd still be an idiot for hating an entire genre based on a handful of bands that took themselves way too seriously and did shit. Just because of THAT, you decided to clump every other band in the genre in that same group and start hating them altogether. I MEAN, WE ALL KNOW THAT EVERY FUCKING BLACK METAL BAND IS THE SAME. THEY ALL HAVE TO DO WITH WORSHIPPING SATAN AND KILLING DIRTY JEWS AND CHRISTIANS!!!

Hah, anyway, whatever. I have decided I don't even give a shit. I guess it just boggled my mind and thus I had to reply to you. But whatever. KEEP ON HATING, BRO! YOU SHOW THEM DIRTY BLACK METALLERS!

Don't care? Oh, but you do! I have to thank you for the kind and thoughful words. You have shown me they way. I'll hold your beliefs and thoughts close to my idiotic heart. And yes, I'll keep on hating and I'm glad your with me! HAHAHAH :D

Mountain Man specifically stated one of the reasons he disliked black metal was "the music itself". I'm sure he doesn't think every black metal band is religion bashing and full of image, and he didn't judge every black metal band from a few. Smekemann read a bit more closely before running your mouth off, please.

Originally posted by SHOOTME
Anybody who's just now hearing Opeth has had their head in the clouds (or on MTV) for far too long. Pathetic...

-SHOOTME
Look, Mr. Hardcore Opeth fan decided to sign up to the Opeth board and express his hardcore non-mainstreamness to all the new Opeth fans.

But to stay on the original topic(which is long gone), I agree that Blackwater Park is a true masterpiece of an album. I listened to it for the first time in weeks last night, and I was as blown away as I was when I first got it months ago.

And, also, to continue tossing fuel onto the "love/hate black metal" flame, I'd just like to say that I agree with Mountain Man. While I do enjoy some black metal myself, I agree that some bands can get quite pretentious. Also, saying he doesn't like the music is a perfectly valid reason for not liking all black metal. Sure, some bands may sound different, but they're all categorized as "black" metal for a reason.

And is he really expected to go out and listen to every single black metal band ever before he can form a valid opinion?

Hell, as much as I respect all forms of music, I'm not going to go out and listen to every single fucking rap song ever created to finally come to a decision that I dislike rap music.

Gregsmack (Named after Godsmack, how appropriate),

"Oh, I listened to Blackwater Park the first time in weeks, and I'm so blown away!" SHUT UP! I'm sick and tired of everybody being "blown away" by everything these days. If you forgot how good Blackwater Park was after only a few weeks, then you've got some problems.

So what's your favorite Godsmack song? The ones they have videos for on MTV??

-SHOOTME

Honestly, what the fuck do you care about how I feel about Blackwater Park? I certainly wasn't bashing it. So why do you care? If you're so extremely bothered by the fact that I'm blown away, maybe you're the one with problems. And I didn't forget how good it was. I was just saying that it managed to impress me the way it did when I first bought it.

Would you rather me say that Blackwater Park sucks?

And my favorite Godsmack song is Vampires. It's not a video ever shown on MTV. And even if it was, I'd still like it. I happen to enjoy some of Godsmack's stuff. I'm not programmed to hate everything in the mainstream the way you seem to be.

I hope that doesn't make me too un-hardcore for you, SHOOTME.

Gregsmack (Named after Godsmack, how appropriate),

"Oh, I listened to Blackwater Park the first time in weeks, and I'm so blown away!" SHUT UP! I'm sick and tired of everybody being "blown away" by everything these days. If you forgot how good Blackwater Park was after only a few weeks, then you've got some problems.

So what's your favorite Godsmack song? The ones they have videos for on MTV??

-SHOOTME

yeah, you're the biggest harcore opeth fan I have ever seen at this board. I could even call you xSHOOTMEx if it makes you happy. you are also the biggest cunt I have seen at this board, and if I were Mikael Åkerfelt (that just might happen some day) then I wouldn't like it if you justt came here to talk shit about other opeth fans that doesn't agree with you. now, go masturbate and say my name, dammit!