Blackwater Park – Deluxe Edition

Mountain Man

Blow It All To Hell!
Feb 24, 2002
West Virginia
I just picked up the deluxe edition of Blackwater Park (July 23rd US release). This is the first copy of the album that I’ve owned, and I have to say that the album is excellent. I’ve have recently become an Opeth fan, as I have only been listening to them for only about five or six months. Even though I’ve heard plenty of “buzz” about Opeth around the metal community, I never was compelled to listen until I downloaded a few songs off of each album on the Internet a few months ago. As soon as the songs hit my eardrums, I was hooked. I ended up buying Orchid & Morningrise and listened to them endlessly. One of my friends suggested that I ought to buy Blackwater Park when it was released, but for some reason I never did. It’s probably good that I didn’t, because now I have the deluxe edition with the two bonus acoustic tracks (which are very good) and the harvest video (interesting video and a good bonus disc layout). Anyway, as most of you know, BWP is a brilliant crafted album. Why? Mikael’s singing and growling performance is unmatched on any other album, the guitar work by Mikael & Peter is beautifully intertwined with acoustic passages and menacing electric work, the bass lines by Martin Mendez rumble along loud & clear and finally the Martin Lopez’s drum kit is used efficiently with well-executed cymbal work. With this said, I have to ask myself ‘how could I miss an album like this in my collection?’ Well I don’t know the answer, but I’m glad I have this masterpiece in my collection for my enjoyment. My Opeth discography is almost complete, and I’m looking forward to the new releases. That’s it, thanks for reading.

Mountain Man: what albums have you still to get? MAYH and Still Life, or have you got one of these?

Originally posted by Morningrise
Why do you hate Black Metal, just curious?
Welcome to the lovely world of Opeth by the way :D

There are a lot of reasons, mainly: the image, the music itself, and the religion hatred.

Yeah the image of many black metal bands is just ridiculous, especially if they take themselves seriously... But it's not like you wouldn't have that in other genres...

Originally posted by mindflesh
Yeah the image of many black metal bands is just ridiculous, especially if they take themselves seriously... But it's not like you wouldn't have that in other genres...

I agree, you do have this in other genres.

Originally posted by Mountain Man

There are a lot of reasons, mainly: the image, the music itself, and the religion hatred.

this is why i stay away from this genre, for the most part. i only dig 'black metal' bands when they become more like melodic death metal. emperor, for instance, and the new dimmu.

i've also noticed that when they drop the schtick, the music gets better. :eek: go figure.

i don't mind religion-hating as i had all that satanic shit, even if it is a joke.

Originally posted by The Deathrace King
"There are a lot of reasons, mainly: the image, the music itself, and the religion hatred."

Remove the last word and that's exactly why I hate Christian music.

Why remove the last word? Christians hate religions, too.

Originally posted by Mountain Man

What´s wrong with hating or criticizing religion???
God bless you...nothing is more annoying than religious hypocrites.

stop! there's quite a big (and crucial) difference between criticizing someone and hating them (kill the christians and so on) and this difference is why i don't like this music either.
well, and then most of the blackmetalstuff is musically strictly limited to E-minor - Bb-minor... emperor and arcturus are great though :)