Bleak vs. Deliverance

Bleak vs. Deliverance

• Total voters
Bleak is very good, and Deliverance isn't worse... but there is something in Bleak that attracts me a lot, I like that song, and that's the first Opeth's song I've heard, so i choose Bleak.

I realy, realy don't like Bleak, and never have. Deliverance, on the othe hand, I did like at one stage, so I guess that wins.

Your last poll? :OMG: HELL NO!, I like this, keep doing more. At least we vote every day and keeps some dynamics to this forum. It ins't boring (not for me)

I like Bleak, it has better songwriting. Deliverance is my least fave record. But it has some good songs there (A Fair Judgement and Master's Apprentices RULES!)
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

B Crouch said:
This is my last poll, I promise! I go for Deliverance because of the last 3 minutes of the song, but Bleak has better clean vocals I think.

Deliverance, definitely....even though Bleak may be catchier and contain the best clean vocals in an otherwise heavy song Opeth has done IMO...Deliverance is never boring and truly an epic undertaking. Plus those last 3 minutes are brutal and hypnotic...

Don't get me wrong I still really like Bleak though...the Arabian tinged riffs near the beginning (which are sadly only repeated once) are freakin cool

it took me really long to like bleak. while it has a great beginning i don't like the steven wilson part too much (and the way it is repeated). the melody/lead - spot after the break has a great vibe/tone tho. i kinda like the lyrics of the song too.

deliverance on the other hand has a great riff (the second one), has an extremely cool solo (the one by peter) and great vocal parts (face down beneath the waterline... and the piercing sounds you make), i also really like the development the song takes. the outro is a bit too long (but immensly great in the DVD version, especially that mikael kinda fails at palm-muting during the last repetion...that sounds brute :) )

--> all in all i prefer de-li-ver-ance

Luz said:
Your last poll? :OMG: HELL NO!, I like this, keep doing more. At least we vote every day and keeps some dynamics to this forum. It ins't boring (not for me)

I like Bleak, it has better songwriting. Deliverance is my least fave record. But it has some good songs there (A Fair Judgement and Master's Apprentices RULES!)
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-
Cheers! I'll keep doing it then, it is quite a boring forum at times!

Inconium Guard said:
Deliverance, definitely....even though Bleak may be catchier and contain the best clean vocals in an otherwise heavy song Opeth has done IMO...Deliverance is never boring and truly an epic undertaking. Plus those last 3 minutes are brutal and hypnotic...

Don't get me wrong I still really like Bleak though...the Arabian tinged riffs near the beginning (which are sadly only repeated once) are freakin cool

I second that...and did choose "Deliverance" for those reasons. I actually wasn't thrilled with "Bleak" all that much at first, but it really grew on me. Both excellent songs.

Seth

Deliverance!

I think they're both amazing songs, but Deliverance is the one that really got me into Opeth. Been my favourite band since. Besides that, to me anyway, Deliverance has a much darker feel and is completely hypnotic.

Bleak. it's funny that you chose these, the climactic distorted parts with clean vocals ('Devious movements in your eyes..' in Bleak, 'The piercing sounds you make...' in Deliverance) both do a Bminor to Dminor key change. But Bleak beats Deliverance, I love the spanish phrygian riffing in the first parts of bleak.

Belak is better, there is ne'er a filler moment, unlike deliverance where my mind drifts away at some points.

I picked "Deliverance", but then I started listening to "Bleak" which I haven't listened to in such a long time. It's ususally the only song off of BWP I don't play because I overplayed it when I first heard BWP. Now that think about it, Bleak is an excellent song and really sounds different than most other Opeth stuff. I really don't know what to pick.