Blender Magazine - Worst Lyricists Article

meh,.... i agree with some, but these guys are fucking idiots thinking jim morrison and neil peart are one of the top 10 worst lyricist ever. for starters,.. the whole list could be full with power metal bands, that would make more sense.

seriously, magazines and websites need to stop coming up with these crappy lists.

old....but still kinda funny...!!!!...hahaha...i agree with Jim Morrison....jsut coz u flash ure wee wee.....that doesn't qualify you as a genius lyricist....ahahha...!!!!....PEAC EOUT

whoever said jim morrison is a good lyricst because he took out his penis in one concert?!?!?!?!

he was indeed a fucking genius, despite of his stupid antics.

1) It's obvious that the Jim Morrison is on there as a "OH LOOK HOW BADASS AND CONTROVERSIAL WE ARE" pick, but most of the other ones on there are very well justified and for a list of worst mainstream lyricists post 1965 (go earlier and you're confronted with stuff like the song about the yellow polka dot bikini) it isn't THAT bad.

2) However, the fact that James Hetfield isn't on it in a very high ranking for the song Frantic alone, let alone practically everything else they ever did besides the not-bad-by-metal-standards stuff like One, Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, makes the entire list invalid. How they could come up with 50 mainstream lyricists that suck and not think of him is hard to fathom.

3) Dave Mustaine also richly deserved a high ranking spot on there. About the only good lyric he ever wrote was "Military intelligence, two words combined that don't make sense" which was just funny, and the rest of the song is clearly terrible lyrically.

Peart is a bit hit or miss, but he has skills and can be brilliant when he wants, if you want good Rush lyrics then just check out Permanent Waves, some of Fly by Night (Anthem ftlog!) and Moving Pictures. If you wanna see where he failed incredibly, then just look at 2112's retarded concept, most of Hemispheres and all his 90's stuff, even though i don't really know if he wrote all the lyrics for those albums.

Lyrics are a very hard thing to judge, especially out of the context of the rest of the lyrics and the music. I wouldn't say that Ben Gibbard is a bad lyricist just because he's a pussy. I don't listen to emo but still acknowledge that the guy has a way with words. Also, Tom Marshall, the Phish lyricist, is one of my favorites, so that was laughable to see them insult him.

the real title of the list should be "lyricists who are usually good but have had a bad moment or two"

wtf??? what utter bullshit is this??

sting
jim morrison
noel gallagher
queensryche
ian anderson
robert plant
alanis morissette
jon bon jovi
billy corgan
anthony kiedis

these dont belong on there. wankerness said it, this list is merely there for its controversial shock value. total bullshit.

jim morrison among the worst lyricists ever? come on. just because his lyrics involve fantasy, literature and are ambiguous and equivocal doesnt mean they are bad. im pissed :mad:

everyone, tell me if these lyrics can be considered " the worst"???

from
the doors - "crystal ship"

before you slip into unconsciousness
i'd like to have another kiss
another flashing chance at bliss
another kiss, another kiss
the days are bright and filled with pain
enclose me in your gentle rain

from
smashing pumpkins - "shame"

you're gonna walk on home
you're gonna walk alone
you're gonna walk so far
you're gonna wonder who you are

sting - "it's probably me"

if the night turned cold and the stars looked down
and you hugh yourself on the cold cold ground
you wake the morning in a stranger's coat
no one would you see

you ask yourself, who'd watch for me
my only friend, who could it be
it's hard to say it
i hate to say it, but it's probably me

when your belly's empty and the hunger's so real
and you're too proud to beg and too dumb to steal
you search the city for your only friend
no one would you see

ian anderson has some very witty lyrics...and sometimes humorous, too:

from "fat man":

don't want to be a fat man,
people would think that i was
just good fun.
would rather be a thin man,
i am so glad to go on being one.
too much to carry around with you,
no chance of finding a woman who
will love you in the morning and all the night time too.
don't want to be a fat man,
have not the patience to ignore all that.
hate to admit to myself half of my problems
came from being fat

bon jovi's "something to believe in"
damn, i have always loved this song.

i lost all faith in my god, in his religion too
i told the angels they could sing their songs to someone new
i lost all trust in my friends, i watched my heart turn to stone
i thought that i was left to walk this wicked world alone

tonight i'll dust myself off
tonight i'll suck my gut in
i'll face the night and i'll pretend
i got something to believe in