Worst song of all time? What heresy...

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
I love this song! Inconceivable!!

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9344602%255E13762,00.html

LOVE or hate them you can't get these stinkers out of your head.

Blender magazine has rated We Built This City as the worst single ever constructed in its list "The 50 Worst Songs Ever".

The magazine said the Starship song earned the accolade because it inspired "the most virulent feelings of outrage".

To make the list, each pungent ditty had to be a hit.

Entry was based on unintentionally poor songwriting.

Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder's maudlin duet Ebony and Ivory also featured, as did R.E.M's Shiny, Happy People and John Mayer's Your Body is a Wonderland.

But the inclusion most likely to spark calls of blasphemy is the listing of the Simon and Garfunkel ballad The Sounds of Silence.

"It's the poetry meaningfulness that got our goat," said Blender editor Craig Marks. "With self-important lyrics like, 'Hear my words that I might teach you', it's almost a parody of pretentious '60s folk rock."

Few outside the boot-scooting fraternity would contest the listing of the Billy Ray Cyrus atrocity Achy Breaky Heart at No. 2.

Fallen star Vanilla Ice made it in with perennial dance-floor filler Ice Ice Baby, as did good-times theme song Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin. Eddie Murphy's ill-advised foray into music, with the 1985 tragedy Party All the Time, was evidence actors other than J-Lo should not sing. It ranked No. 8.

Herald Sun

dickheads.

I heard a much worse song yesterday at gym. I can't remember what it was called but it was by "girls on speed" or something. It was so bad that I stopped training and just stood there staring at the TV and thinking about hunting them down and killing them all.

Spiff said:
AGH!!! FUCKIN' FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!! ARRRGGGHH!!

I hate... no, I HATE!!!! that Starship song!!

I liked it the first time I heard it.... and the 2nd time... and even the 10th time but after hearing it about 20,564 times in a row on a juke box one night, I'm permanently scarred for life! That's the song that will be playing in the background at the post office while I'm slaughtering poor postal workers everywhere! RAARRRR! :yell:

:err: Go about your business everyone, nothing to see here!

*leaves*

Spiff said:
The magazine said the Starship song earned the accolade because it inspired "the most virulent feelings of outrage".

Lord Tim said:
AGH!!! FUCKIN' FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!! ARRRGGGHH!!

I hate... no, I HATE!!!! that Starship song!!

I liked it the first time I heard it.... and the 2nd time... and even the 10th time but after hearing it about 20,564 times in a row on a juke box one night, I'm permanently scarred for life! That's the song that will be playing in the background at the post office while I'm slaughtering poor postal workers everywhere! RAARRRR! :yell:

Yep, that's virulent outrage alright...Blender seems to have hit the nail right on the noggin there. *edges away from LT*

Wrathchild said:
*slaps writer of article in face with glove demanding satisfaction*

Anybody who complains about Simon and Garfunkel, whatever the context, is a tasteless, culturally illiterate buffoon.

That is all.

W
:lol: Wasn't one of the reasons Warrell Dane gave for covering 'Sounds of Silence' the fact that it is pretentious, meaningless and high-handed?