Death Sentences etc.

There is a very clear division on both sides of the fence - so clearly many people feel it is a light pat on the back/slap on the wrist. Consider, this is taking someone's life we're talking about, or a horrendous sex crime which has killed or psychologically damaged forever a totally innocent woman, man or child. Think of the victims.

Being a victim of a crime doesn't give you any rights over the rights of others.

Why are executions more expensive? They shouldn't be. If it is determined to be necessary, it should be done quickly and inexpensively.

It's expensive due to trials and things of that nature. Because, you know, putting a man to death is kind of a big deal, and it's preferred that if you are going to kill somebody that you are entirely sure that he actually did what you're killing him for.

Being a victim of a crime doesn't give you any rights over the rights of others.

No it doesn't. But being a victim of a crime gives you the right to see a fair punishment delivered by a justice system the victim should be able to put their faith in. Victims of crime often become victims of a very flawed justice system too don't forget.

Have you ever known someone who has been raped? Ever known someone whose family member has been murdered, a sibling of their's, a child? The effect on the victim, their family and friends, is terrible, utterly indescribable pain that you or I cannot fathom.

Yes, it's emotivist shit, but the effects of these crimes are not just physical. They destroy lives beyond those directly effected.

And killing the person that did it doesn't change anything. The victim should IN NO WAY have any power whatsoever over what happens to the criminal because they couldn't possibly measure an objective penalty. Being a victim doesn't give you a right to see to it that somebody is punished. In fact, it doesn't give you any rights at all. The criminal is punished because he did something wrong, not because the victim wants to see him punished.

Indeed, it's like any other drive, it becomes a motivation in itself. The only thing that is satiated by achieving vengeance is the drive to achieve vengeance. After that is the realization that vengeance hasn't benefited you in any way and that drive was more like an addiction that needed to fix than a hunger for fine cuisine.

sheer amount of stupidity you have spewed onto this board across threads.

THANK YOU

My stance on capitol punishment depends on the severity of the crime. I've always believed in eye for an eye, and if it costs me my tax dollars, then so be it. A lot of criminals never learn from their mistakes, so why waste even more tax dollars trying to rehabilitate a habitual offender? Life sentences are fine, but only if the situation warrants it. If that person tortured, killed and butchered an individual, its most likely that person will do something of the same nature once released out of custody. an insane person is an insane person. yes, we could medicate them, which also costs tax dollars, but why don't we just kill two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking) and save ourselves the trouble?

Personally I believe that I would be worse to have a life sentence in prison, than to be executed. So I think the penalty for murder should just be a life sentence to prison.

Personally I believe that I would be worse to have a life sentence in prison, than to be executed. So I think the penalty for murder should just be a life sentence to prison.

This is my belief, as I stated earlier, that most people would rather die than stare at a wall for the rest of their lives.

THANK YOU

My stance on capitol punishment depends on the severity of the crime. I've always believed in eye for an eye, and if it costs me my tax dollars, then so be it. A lot of criminals never learn from their mistakes, so why waste even more tax dollars trying to rehabilitate a habitual offender? Life sentences are fine, but only if the situation warrants it. If that person tortured, killed and butchered an individual, its most likely that person will do something of the same nature once released out of custody. an insane person is an insane person. yes, we could medicate them, which also costs tax dollars, but why don't we just kill two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking) and save ourselves the trouble?
I'm not sure you understand what a life sentence means.

I think that if someone does something so bad that it will land them in the pen for the rest of their life that they should be put to death. Definitely. Why make them rot in prison for the rest of their life until they are old & grey?? That is much more cruel & it costs more money in the long run, even thogh it costs a lot of money to put someone to death.

Yeah but when the go to prison they are given free food and TV for the rest of their lives and it is just a big vacation house where they just sit around and smoke and be joyous. It's more like a reward than a punishment. [/Krig]

^ Very true.

And old neighbour of mine was a prison warden and he told me many stories about how prisoners were treated. They lead lives of luxuries in there (in context of the fact that they are in prison). Their living standards are very good behind bars.

Don't ask me how I know this now, but I am pretty sure that it really sucks to be in federal "pound-me-in-the-ass" prison, which is where you go when you commit murder. You sit in a solitary empty room for basically 23 hours a day. Until you die. If only you were so lucky, Hubster, to have such luxury, huh?

I am strongly against capital punishment, but some of the arguments against it are much better than others. Capital punishment is prone to errors, but so is the criminal justice system in general. Moral arguments are nice, but often not persuasive to those who just disagree.

The primary goal of prison is not to punish, achieve vengeance, or rehabilitate. It is to incapacitate; to lock people away so they cannot commit any more crimes. Locking someone up for life with no parole is just as effective as execution, and it is cheaper. In addition, it sends a powerful peaceful message when a society decides to restrain its anger and outrage in a way that the killer could not. Executions have a brutalizing effect that breeds a culture of anger and vengeance. The US is one of a few countries that still administers the death penalty, and there is way more crime here than in countries that do not have it. This suggests not only that it is an ineffective deterrent, but that there's a good chance it has the opposite effect on people. Executions develop the idea that two wrongs make a right, which is an extremely detrimental way to think. Not to mention that "eye for an eye" is just a ludicrous way to think about handling crime.

Don't ask me how I know this now, but I am pretty sure that it really sucks to be in federal "pound-me-in-the-ass" prison, which is where you go when you commit murder. You sit in a solitary empty room for basically 23 hours a day. Until you die. If only you were so lucky, Hubster, to have such luxury, huh?

I wasn't referring to maximum security/solitary confinement, my bad.