Death Sentences etc.

I see it as being juvenile and a character flaw. The lying and sneaking around because of it didn't help, either. I hated- absolutely hated- lying to my parents, and it still bothers me.

Okay, how much of the lying, sneaking, and juvenility was actually because of the drug, and not because it was illegal? Most people who smoke weed have to lie to someone about the fact that they do it, because most people aren't going to look at it in a rational and understanding way. If masturbation were illegal, would it be juvenile to do it in private and tell people you didn't do it?

It doesn't really deserve a counter. I liken it to those slippery slope arguments against gay marriage ("oh well where does it end huh people marrying toasters? Not in my America!"). The risks of hard drugs so greatly outweigh the benefits (if there are any) that people should not be permitted to use them, just like were not permitted to climb up the sides of buildings or drive around in vehicles that don't meet safety standards. Everything has risks. Obviously. It's inevitable. However most things have some sort of substantial benefit, or are somehow necessary. Sorry, but taking LSD is not beneficial or necessary in any way.

Well, there are some drugs which should probably never be used, and which, I admit, I won't be able to make a strong case for their benefits. But it's still not inherently criminal to use them. I still see this as regulating a matter of personal choice. And it's not clear whether no one would ever want to use some of the harder drugs. Usually what people base their opinions of them off of are the worst available cases of idiots who fuck their lives up on them; and that's not an objective way of assessing their actual risks.

My cousin was raped and killed when she was 8 years old almost 8 years ago. The guy who commited this crime was sentenced to 19 years in prison, which is fairly close to the highest penalty you can get in Norway. His friend, who raped and killed my cousin's 10 year old friend was sentenced to 21 years (highest) because he was the "leader" and the other guy cooperated during the investigation after they got caught, as opposed to the "leader" character. In addition to the 21 years he got, he needs to do a psyche check prior to his release, and can be held back another 5 years if they don't see him fit to return to society. The guy who got 19 years does not have to go through this process, and will be released some time within the next 6-7 years because prisoners in Norway only serve about 2/3-3/4 time. They took my cousin and her friend's lives, abused them sexually and spent a lot of time violating their bodies in the process. I was in court one of the days and the things that they admitted doing were so extreme I had to leave the room. I do not believe people who commit such crimes should be allowed another chance. There is no reason they should be set free and possibly do a thing like that again, and I know a some people who get out of jail sometimes do that, which is reason enough for me not to gamble on the subject. You reap as you sow, and taking one's life except in self defence should be rewarded with death penalty, but I doubt that will ever happen here. How is taking a murderer's life more cruel than letting one loose only to commit the crime once again? I'm not saying this always happens, but one time is enough for me, and more importantly the people who are killed because the society/government are too politically correct to do something about the problem.

The crime standards in Norway are most definitely fucked up considering a murderer/rapist/whatever should DEFINITELY AND UNALTERABLY get a LIFE sentence. And I don't mean life as in 50-whatever years or some shit...I mean life. Until they DIE.

But if death sentence is murder, isn't life sentence (PERMANT) kidnapping? What purpose does a life sentence convict have except costing a lof of money? And no, if shooting someone is concidered humane in war, shooting someone should definately be concidered a humane method of killing a murderer/rapist.

The crime standards in Norway are most definitely fucked up considering a murderer/rapist/whatever should DEFINITELY AND UNALTERABLY get a LIFE sentence. And I don't mean life as in 50-whatever years or some shit...I mean life. Until they DIE.

But if death sentence is murder, isn't life sentence (PERMANT) kidnapping? What purpose does a life sentence convict have except costing a lof of money? And no, if shooting someone is concidered humane in war, shooting someone should definately be concidered a humane method of killing a murderer/rapist.

The only justifiable killings which occur in war are those done in self-defense. There is no need for self-defense when punishing a criminal, and that is what makes the death penalty inhumane.

Money is not an issue with a life sentence, as it's actually more expensive to put someone to death due to all the legal fees involved.

It doesn't really deserve a counter. I liken it to those slippery slope arguments against gay marriage ("oh well where does it end huh people marrying toasters? Not in my America!"). The risks of hard drugs so greatly outweigh the benefits (if there are any) that people should not be permitted to use them, just like we're not permitted to climb up the sides of buildings or drive around in vehicles that don't meet safety standards. Everything has risks. Obviously. It's inevitable. However most things have some sort of substantial benefit, or are somehow necessary. Sorry, but taking LSD is not beneficial or necessary in any way.
First, LSD is not a hard drug and it can definitly be beneficial to the users. It is recreational and can often lead to good experiances and people often have "revelations" that leads to good decisions to go on with their life etc. For example, I know several people who decided to stop smoking while on LSD and they did it. :)
It is also one of the least dangerous drugs to your health, fucking weed is worse. The only thing that really is bad about it is if you get a bad trip (which admittedly is not the best experiance you can have that's for sure).

I can see what you mean and agree to a point if you are talking about real hard drugs though.

Edit: lol totally offtopic. :|

The only justifiable killings which occur in war are those done in self-defense. There is no need for self-defense when punishing a criminal, and that is what makes the death penalty inhumane.

Money is not an issue with a life sentence, as it's actually more expensive to put someone to death due to all the legal fees involved.

Then what about defending the other potiential victims? It's not like the convict hasn't done it before. And I'm not talking about how much ending a convicts life costs now, but how little it would cost if they just shot the person through the head. It works in war as I mentioned in the other post. Enough with the fucking political correctness, just get the job done nice and simple.

Then what about defending the other potiential victims? It's not like the convict hasn't done it before. And I'm not talking about how much ending a convicts life costs now, but how little it would cost if they just shot the person through the head. It works in war as I mentioned in the other post. Enough with the fucking political correctness, just get the job done nice and simple.

Other potential victims are defended by having a full life sentence. That also has the benefit of giving falsely-accused convicts a chance of getting out. Killing someone for a crime accomplishes nothing but a sense of revenge, which is not a respectable way of punishing someone, and certainly doesn't outweigh the aforementioned benefits of a life sentence.

Well it's obvious that there has to be no doubt that the convict is guilty, but I do believe more innocent people are killed by released murderers than the government. And what kind of life is spending it in a prison for the rest of your years? I guess this is where our views differ. I don't give a crap about revenge as long as they don't do it again and stop polluting my air.

One could argue though that giving someone a life sentence is the same as capital punishment, as the end result is the same. Which one is more justified, given the end result? Do we judge each type based on the human rights of the convicted being delivered?

All of you suggesting permanent life sentences with absolutely no potential whatsoever for release can fuck off with your bullshit, emotivist, victim's rights crusade. Letting your own personal bias affect your judgment when it involves the lives of other people is unnacceptable. The fact of the matter is that the LAST person who should be determining a criminal's sentence is the victim or the victim's family, due to their bias and most likely irrational state.

I've discussed this a number of times before, and before it's even addressed, I'm going to say that I'm fully aware that this will never happen in our society, but it is my view that the prison systems should focus on rehabilitation of criminals first and foremost, and not on punishment. Rehabilitation does not mean imminent release, in any sense of the word. I believe that all inmates should be subjected to a rehabilitary process (excluding prisoners behind bars for crimes that I don't believe merit jail time), and by doing so, this will completely negate the arbitrary sentencing system whereby a judge assigns what comes down to a personally subjective judgment regarding the number of years an inmate should serve. In this process, inmates will be frequently evaluated on their behavior and will not be released until a qualified panel sees that they are fit to return to society and not recommit offenses. In essence, the purpose of this process is to determine that the state of mind of the inmate is altered in which they would no longer believe that it is acceptable to commit crimes, and realize that what they have done is wrong. This process could take anywhere from a couple of months to the rest of their lives. If it so happens that they do recommit, they will most likely be condemning themselves to a permanent life sentence unless it can be determined that the second offense was under justifiably extreme circumstances, whereby they would reenter the rehabilitation process. The vast majority of repeat offenders will likely be behind bars for the rest of their lives because they demonstrated that their evaluations could not be trusted. I would suspect that most murderers, rapists, kidnappers, and other violent criminals will never be released, since they tend to commit crimes with a deluded state of mind that can never be repaired.

There is a flaw in this though - rehabilitation is pretty touch 'n' go, anyone who works in a corporate environment will know this. Staff who exhibit bad/counterproductive working/personality traits are usually required to undergo therapy or counselling, and while it does work for some, it doesn't work for that many.

I guess in the workplace, you can afford that error margin, but in the prison system? I don't think so... what other mechanisms could we use, apart from capital punishment, and our current standards of rehabilitation systems, what other options are there?

I'm obviously not talking about 'our current standards of rehabilitation systems.' In fact, I'm thoroughly resigned to the fact that, given our society, my theory would never be possibly put into practice, because it would necessitate an immense overhaul of the entire prison systems, and, well, fuck the entire judicial system, in order for it to be properly effective as it is intended. I am not in a position personally given my range of knowledge to propose specific and explicit measurement by which I intend for the rehabilitary process to assist and evaluate, of course; this would be reserved for qualified individuals who actually head this field and are in a position to propose innovative and effective means of rehabilitation. And as I said earlier, those inmates who do so happen to bypass the system by being released and then recommit will most likely be spending the rest of their lives in jail.

One could argue though that giving someone a life sentence is the same as capital punishment, as the end result is the same.

Using this logic, the end result of EVERYTHING is the person dying, so...this is a non-point. One is ethical, one is not. It's easy to see why life in jail is much more ethical than just going "OK well you're dead, fuck off."

All of you suggesting permanent life sentences with absolutely no potential whatsoever for release can fuck off with your bullshit, emotivist, victim's rights crusade. Letting your own personal bias affect your judgment when it involves the lives of other people is unnacceptable. The fact of the matter is that the LAST person who should be determining a criminal's sentence is the victim or the victim's family, due to their bias and most likely irrational state.

What a load of bullshit. Ask yourself what's important in life, your friends, family and loved ones or taking care of people who tear these values apart? Living is a right, but when you take that right from someone you lose it yourself imo.

Like I said, emotivist bullshit. Judicial discrimination has nothing to do with the personal (e.g. everything you listed). What's "important in life" doesn't mean shit to what's important in the judicial system. Torturing another human being isn't going to bring your family members back. It's not going to do a fucking thing except commit further wrong, and yet worse, wrong sanctioned by the government.

While I agree with you Nec in theory, as you said, it is just not possible at the moment, which is why I think life sentences without parole are currently the way to go for heinous crimes. You prevent any further crimes by that person and you avoid a further murder by not killing them. If they turn out to be innocent, they can be freed, unlike if they were murdered. Sounds win-win to me.

Like I said, emotivist bullshit. Judicial discrimination has nothing to do with the personal (e.g. everything you listed). What's "important in life" doesn't mean shit to what's important in the judicial system. Torturing another human being isn't going to bring your family members back. It's not going to do a fucking thing except commit further wrong, and yet worse, wrong sanctioned by the government.

WHo said anything about torture? It's obvious you are too biased on this subject to keep the discussion on a civil level. Read my previous points. And if the judicial system's purpose is not to work in favour of the people who are ruled by it, what the fuck is it's purpose? Yes, that's where the "what's important in life" part comes in.