COP KILLERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final_Product said:
The idea of "justice" seems outmoded now. A person facing a sentence appropriate of their crimes and serving such a sentence whether it be prison, or rehab of some form to the benefit of society seems like some idealist bullshit with the current state we are in.

The idea of justice is the biggest most harmful fantasy ever forced upon humanity.

10293847 said:
If I am a law-abiding citizen and someone kills the person who's job it is to protect me, i'm going to be pretty upset and not feel as safe.

You'll notice that there are always open positions to be a police officer, because you're always putting your ass on the line.

So if someone kills a police officer, with no fault to the officer, the person who did this should pay a higher penalty than of the killing of a normal citizen.
why is a cop different from a normal citizen?

should not all citizens look after their community's welfare?

In a perfect world you wouldn't need cops, everyone would respect each other and in an emergency we would all be able to cope by helping each other.

Sadly this world sucks, and it's full of bastards who couldn't give a shit about anyone else, therefore we need cops.

However, murder is murder. Doesn't mater if its a cop or some homeless guy, it's still murder and you should get the same punishment as anyone else comminting a similar crime.

I think in the extreme cases where a person kills someone in cold blood and 50 people see it happen and the guy goes and kills another 5 people any is again seen doing it, there should be little doubt in what should be done.
The death sentence should be reserved for such crimes, the ones where you are 100% certain of guilt and that prision is a waste of time.

Silent Song said:
why is a cop different from a normal citizen?

should not all citizens look after their community's welfare?

Well like I said earlier, cops are different to normal citizens. Their job is to "take the bullet", so to speak, if someone tries to kill a normal citizen. They are to protect us all. So they are different to the rest of us.

I agree that we all as a community, and really, as a country, should look after one another. But let us face facts: Most of us only care about those we are close with.

If we all took care of our own and those around us, police officers would be out of jobs.

It's similiar to the way I feel about people in the military and armed forces. These guys, (no matter if it is their only option as far as making money and a living) put their asses on the line and fight for the protection of a country. They earn my full respect. And while the U.S. is currently in a made up war that Bush has devised (in my opinion), that still does not change my opinion that these brave men and women have accepted in defending us for the betterment of our country.

No, they are much different to us.

10293847 said:
If we all took care of our own and those around us, police officers would be out of jobs.

Truer Words were never spoken.:)

Winnipeg Warrior-how would you feel if you were related to a woman who was killed by a fuckin' pig for trying to pass a bad prescription? big crime huh? well, that happened out here and not only was the sonvabitch found not guilty of wrongful death, the slimey cocksucker almost got his oinker job back, and would have if not for the media circus that surrounded the issue.

Frankly, cops should be held to an even higher standard of accountability as they are the ones entrusted to represent and uphold the law.

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
What's your take on this. In the United States, it's an automatic death sentence for killing a police officer.....as in most countires. While here in Canada, it means life imprisonment. Or parole after 20-25 years.

Personally, I believe in the Death Penalty. Whether it's by lethal injection, the electric chair, the gas chamber, the guillotine, or public beheading.....if you do the crime, you do the time. Or you get legally wacked. Case closed.

Some crimes, such as rape and child molestation, are getting harsher penalties than murder.....especially here in Canada. It's almost gotten to the point where taking a life will get you two years less a day in some cases. Very seldom will you get the maximum sentence due to legal technicalities.

How do you feel? As a Canadian, I say bring back the death penalty in certain cases. Especially for cop killing. But if you drink and drive and take a life, or you rape a child.....you better get used to that 8 X 4 cell for the rest of your life. In these cases, they'll almost want to be sentenced to death row. Just my opinion.
here's my take on this
there shouldn't be any kind of job-title (about a dozen in usa) that makes any one person's life considered to be anymore valuable than any other person's life
the death penalty should either be aplicable to every single death or else totaly non-existant

What's your take on this. In the United States, it's an automatic death sentence for killing a police officer.....as in most countires. While here in Canada, it means life imprisonment. Or parole after 20-25 years.

Personally, I believe in the Death Penalty. Whether it's by lethal injection, the electric chair, the gas chamber, the guillotine, or public beheading.....if you do the crime, you do the time. Or you get legally wacked. Case closed.

Some crimes, such as rape and child molestation, are getting harsher penalties than murder.....especially here in Canada. It's almost gotten to the point where taking a life will get you two years less a day in some cases. Very seldom will you get the maximum sentence due to legal technicalities.

How do you feel? As a Canadian, I say bring back the death penalty in certain cases. Especially for cop killing. But if you drink and drive and take a life, or you rape a child.....you better get used to that 8 X 4 cell for the rest of your life. In these cases, they'll almost want to be sentenced to death row. Just my opinion.

Yep, i agree totally
expecially about drink driving - theres no fucken excuse for that - if you do kill some one you shouldnt get a second chance, becuase its as sure as hell the person you killed wont get a second chance.
The only problem i have with the death penalty is that there is still a chnace that the wrong person may be killed

I don't agree with the death penalty based on the fact that you can possibly kill an innocent person. Sure spending 25 years in prison isn't really fair either, but I'm sure you'd agree that the death penalty is a little more final and traumatic. When I was younger (5/6 years ago), I thought why the fuck not, but all you really have to do is put yourself in the position of an innocent person facing the death penalty.

As for killing cops automatically being the death penalty, I'm obviously not pro-death penalty, so it applies to cops as well. However, I can understand that a harsher punishment for such a crime may be needed. I would suggest cops are more likely to be innocently murdered than your average person. Killing a cop would also represent a higher perceived level of anarchy as well. As a result, to reduce the likeliness of it occuring, the punishment is a more fearsome one.

Further to that point, without any statistical research whatsoever, I would suggest that you are probably less likely to sentence an innocent person to the death penalty, for killing a cop, than an average person, for the following reasons:
1. Shot in the line of fire / on duty - more likely to be witnessed by either innocent bystanders, or a fellow policeman
2. If it is off-duty, it is likely to be the result of some form of vengeance, thus the culprit is possibly already known to the police, or they have a good idea of who it may be.

Finally, with respect to the relative punishment for rape, murder, child molestation - I don't see that more serious rape attacks and more vile child abuse is any less disgraceful than murder anyway. So I'm sure where these punishments are the equivalent of murder, then it is fine. Whereas I'd be suprised if a convicted murder was sentenced to something less than petty theft or the like.

According to what I've just read on google when i looked for this information, the average cost of keeping an individual prisoner in jail in the UK was £38,753 (about $70,000) a year (based on cost in 2002).
It costs much more if they are criminally insane and cared for in a secure hospital. A million pounds is spent on just one person over their lifesentence in many cases.
Money is an issue in society. People are dying because of the expense of better medical treatment for example. It seems that the state would rather spend money on criminals. I think there is a conspiracy behind this, but it would take too long to explain, and be off-topic.

That's a good point. I'm not a fan of medication, but used the example to make a contrast between ways in which the government thinks public money should be spent.

What's your take on this. In the United States, it's an automatic death sentence for killing a police officer.....as in most countires. SIZE]

most countires don't have the death penalty.

I think killing a cop is an awful act. I think killing anyone is wrong, but whether or not killing a police officer should be looked at as worse than killing a non officer.....i haven't thought about that. Good question.

Judas 69, the pharmaceuticals issue is a good topic. I think you should start a thread on that.
As for why it is taken more seriously when cops are killed, maybe otherwise they would be unlikely to want to do their job. They need to feel that criminals will be especially detered from attacking them as they deal with criminals all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.