Bones / Acid Witch / Nunslaughter Chicago July 9th

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries" book release party. Beat Kitchen July 9th. ABSCONDER / BONES / ACID WITCH / NUNSLAUGHTER

Link here for what this book is....

http://www.bazillionpoints.com/metalion-the-slayer-mag-diaries/

I give credit to who ever is putting on this show. This is what more promoters need to do with shows. Instead of just getting one known act and then filling it up with locals....they did it right. Getting a bunch of bands that all have a fanbase or a level of interest in people seeing them. I cant wait for this show. I really want to see Bones and Acid Witch. Nunslaughter isnt really my thing but I am very interested in seeing them live. I have never heard of ABSCONDER who is also playing. I am glad to see someone getting creative in booking a show. I wish more people would do stuff like this.

anyone else going? it should be a great time.

people missed out on an amazing show last night.....

it was crazy....there was a street fair right outside the Beat Kitchen so people had a hard time getting in....having to explain they were not there for Hamburger Fest but to go to the Beat Kitchen....I hate these street fairs for this reason. It has happened with going to the Music Box theater during a street fair....they all want you to pay / donate money as you walk in.

The Beat Kitchen doesnt do many metal shows. I was there once for a punk show a few years back. The set up is nice. High stage and the sound there is perfect. Not to loud but perfect levels and you can hear everything mixed perfect. It is a small room but perfect for a show like this.

This was also a book release for the SLAYER MAG DIARIES. This is a huge hardcover book with every issue of the Slayer Mag from back in the late 80's - 90's. Over 400 pages. I was going to get it at the end of the night so I wasnt going to be lugging it around. I walked over to thier table and they had 2 left. I got it then. It is very heavy and sucked to hold all night but well worth it, it wont get any cheaper than it was last night.

Absconder was up first. Local band playing death metal. Very tight and well rehearsed. The best part is that it was far from your generic cookie monster vocals and every song sounding the same. Touch of tech death metal with really good rough vocals. They ended the set with an old Chicago bands cover song from Terminal Death. My only issue is that they played a few songs too many. I would rather a shorter set to leave me wanting more.

Bones played next. Right before they played it started to get really hot in the place because it started to get packed in there. Bones were great live. Intense and pure metal. Bones is ex- Usurper pretty much. More of a death metal vibe than Usurper though. It got crazy hot in thier. Sweat was pouring off of Jon Necromancers bass as he was playing. You can tell everyone wished for a cool wave of water to come through or something. While people were getting into it...deep down all anyone wanted is to be in a nice cool room. At the end they covered an old Devestation song. I think it took them longer to set up the huge drum set than their actual set list. They were intense and I cannot wait to see them play again.

Finally.....the band I wanted to see the most. Acid Witch. With the amount of people yelling for them and the most people in the place watching....this is the band everyone wanted to see. Great intro....then right into the music. The front man who also plays the keyboards is a great front man. Moves around and acts stuff out. They played songs from both LPs and some of thier EPs. Very short set though......30 minutes and that is pushing it. I definetly wanted more. People started a little pit which sucked because the floors were really slippery and it was way to hot to be getting bumped into. I was pissed that they were not selling shirts. Just a few EPs and the the "Stoned" LP. They finally started to let people go outside to cool off during the set up. It was nice to get some fresh air.

I was only going to stick around for a few songs by Nunslaugter. I ended up staying for thier whole set. It was really short. I think each band played 30 minutes each. Nunslaugter were hilarious. The music was just ok....thrash / black / death metal all under 3 minutes each. They were overly satanic in a humorous sense. The drummer was the guy who did all the talking inbetween songs. He is hilarious. Kept on saying all these goofy satanic things and gave a shout out too all the old Chicago bands. Then for the last song they gave a nice ode to Mark from Metal Haven. 1 fight did break out during thier set. I think the heat and people who were getting into the slamming into each other hit a boiling point.

It was weird....I wonder if the write up in the Reader and it being a book release or people were just curious from Burgerfest but there were a few people who you can tell were not Nunslaugter fans who were there. Very well dressed yuppie types. Still an all around success of a show. It would have been great if the club turned on its air conditioning and I wasnt carrying around a 10 pound book all night.