BONUS tracks! Opinions and comments

Carnivean

Let Your Mind Do the Work
Jun 16, 2006
Colorado, USA
Well I of course have acquired my Special Edition of Watershed and I must say that the bonus tracks are exquisite. Very good production and feel to each one! Well done Mike!

Views?

Derelict Herds - kind of boring, but kind of innovative. Nice middle-eastern feel to some parts, and a good breakdown throughout. It grows on you after a while. I don't find it nearly as boring now as I did on the first listen.

Bridge of Sighs - very interesting take on the Robin Trower original. Åkerfeldt's voice is definitely the best it's ever been, and his "rock" flairy voice ain't bad.

Den Ständiga Resan - easily the best of the three (IMO). It's perfect. I dunno. It's just perfect.

I'd have to agree with Den Ständiga Resan being my favorite as well... It's just so juicy and the vocal work is immaculate.

All three are very good. I wish that Derelict Herds was on the main album just so that Watershed could be a full hour, haha. I really want to hear the cover of Would? though. It seems like it would be very interesting.

I've got the SE but I'm ignoring the bonus tracks for now. I want to get a good grasp on the theme of Watershed first without any interference.

Amazing songs.... I just need to get them on my damn Ipod so I can listen to them with the album!!!! Hopefully someone will rip them cause I sure dont know how to do that.

Is "Would?" really on vinyl or it just hasn't been released?

Anyhow, Den Standiga Resan is a glorious cover, I love it.

It's nice that they didn't included "Derelict Herds" in the album. It sound absolutely non-Opetish. But still sound nice. Very good song, kinda experimental to Opeth.

"Bridge of Sighs" is a massive song originally, I love Robin Trower very much. But I think that Mike is not able to sing something like this. It's a kinda rough blues singing and Mike is better with some more mellow stuff. But instrumental section is great. Solos are very sensitive.

"Den ständiga resan" is the best of these bonuses. When I heard original song, I immediately thought "Whoa, it would be perfect for Opeth". Very damnation'ish song. Nice to hear Mike singing in swedish.

^Marie Fredriksson. The song is off her album of the same title. I had heard of her but didn't know her music. When I heard they were covering a song of hers I checked out the album, pretty good.

"Derelict Herds" - liked it upon first listening, it's a bit different, yet Opethian, and it has growls for fuck's sake. After listening to Watershed, I'm positively starved for growls and brutality. The riff at 02:20 reminds me of another Opeth-riff, it has the same time signature or whatever you wanna call it.. but I can't remember what other Opeth-song I'm thinking of.

Robin Trower-song - Meh on half a listening

Marie Fredriksson-song - Uhm. No thanks, this is too far, too far away from what makes me love Opeth. Yes Mikael has developed his voice but I prefer oaaaaaaaaaaaargrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh dammit.

Derelict Herds is great. I especially love how that heavy riff winds down. I think it feels like an Opeth song given the rest of Watershed, but its tone clashes too much with the rest of the album to fit anywhere on there.