BONUS tracks! Opinions and comments

No one is going to mention how much "Derelict Herds" sounds like Riverside? The resemblance is extremely obvious. Nice song. I didn't like it too much at first, but it has grown on me.

"Bridge of Sighs" is a good cover of a great blues song. Mike has positively surprised me here. I didn't think he could sing with such a rough, "fat" voice. Actually he reminds me of Dan Swanö on this one.

"Den Ständiga Resan" - I have to disagree with most of you guys. I like it, but Marie Fredriksson's original performance is waaaaaaay better IMO. So for me it's the weakest of the three bonus tracks, even though I love the original song.

I dont know what you guys are talking about when you say Derelict Herds doesnt fit the album. It flows perfectly with the rest of the main album songs. I wish it would of been included so that I could import it onto my Ipod, dammit!!

I reckon Derelict Herds is good but it doesn't really fit in with the album, it's fairly typical Opeth stuff, while Watershed is quite unusual for them.

What's everyones opinion of Mellotron Heart? I managed to find an mp3 of it. It's basically Porcelain Heart played on a mellotron. It's bleak and Mike's vox are very nice:headbang:

The weird thing is, I have now downloaded 2 mp3's of this track and both versions won't add to my itunes for some reason. Anyone else have this problem and know why this happens?

The riff at 02:20 reminds me of another Opeth-riff, it has the same time signature or whatever you wanna call it.. but I can't remember what other Opeth-song I'm thinking of.

Yep, me too. It's "Face of Melinda"

Listen to "Derelict Herds" at 2:14 and to "Face of Melinda" at 3:52
There is definately similarity.

Dudes, Mike's voice on Bridge Of Sighs is really awesome. Robin Trower, you better watch out. Ahah. Now, for serious, Mike really putted out something really special on this one. He has some serious skills to sing some "rock". Coverdale's influences once again? He should really think about a side-project singing just like this way ;)

Derelict Herds it's ok, I guess. I kinda like it, but it's obviously inferior to the ones on the album.

Den Standiga Resan is...weird. I love to hear Mikael singing in Swedish, and I love this "popish" side of them. Will Mike be in next year's Eurovision? :D

Could someone please paste here the english translation of Den Ständiga Resan? I'm unable to find it. :(

The first time i read the lyrics, it was like months ago when i read that Opeth was going to cover Marie's song, i said: "this song IS made for Opeth"...

The Lyrics:

The Eternal Journey

When I think about the continuous journey throught life
When it always feels like autumn
When the wind is slowly turning to north and the flowers die
- There is rain failing in my dreams
I must travel again and search for comfort
I must search again for the voice of affection
I must travel again till next autumn
the continuous travel
till next autumn
When I'm walking on the rocky road throught life
When it feels like
I'm carrying a sorrow
Then the sun is slowly hiding in the clouds
and the word is goodbye
-soon snow will be failing in my dreams
the continuos travel till next autumn

The first time i read the lyrics, it was like months ago when i read that Opeth was going to cover Marie's song, i said: "this song IS made for Opeth"...

The Lyrics:

The Eternal Journey

When I think about the continuous journey throught life
When it always feels like autumn
When the wind is slowly turning to north and the flowers die
- There is rain failing in my dreams
the continuous travel
till next autumn
When I'm walking on the rocky road throught life
When it feels like
I'm carrying a sorrow
Then the sun is slowly hiding in the clouds
and the word is goodbye
-soon snow will be failing in my dreams
the continuos travel till next autumn

:worship: didn't except such dark contents! thank you!:)

omg i'm dying to hear "would?"

that said, i LOVE bridge of sighs, i first heard that song a few years ago on a classic rock radio station and i loved it. then opeth did it and i was blown away. very nice cover. the swedish song is cool, but i don't know swedish, so that song doesn't really mean much to me. very nice tho to hear mike actually singing in his native voice, it's a refreshing abstraction, i think. and i totally love derelict herds. it might have fit well on the album if they had more time to put into it. it would probably be a good live song.

I love DH. And I really wish I knew how to get it off of the DVD onto the computer.
I don't really care about the bonus songs 'fitting', because they're bonus songs.
They're separate anyway.