Books

I just finished Rushdie's Fury which I actually picked up after NAD's fervent recomendations ;)

As I've said earlier I'm no great fan of 'proper' (as oppsed to the fantasy genre which I enojoy immensly) fiction so I my expectations were somewhere in the mid levels. But I liked it a lot at times; I really like his way of using mythology in the story telling and decription of characters and he's is stunningly eloquent at times.

But all in all it was as with most fiction for me: the time spent with it was enjoyable but it never sucked me in or really grabbed me as fantasy litterature sometimes do. Having a person's personal promblems as the centre of the story is seldom something that interests me.

I'm tending towards a categorization of books as: fantasy litterature for entertainment and non-fiction for insight/knowledge/whatever, something which 'the Classics' of fiction seem to give some people

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it, for the most part anyhow. :D

Never have I been so immersed into a book as I was with Fury, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I identified with the main character so much. His outlook on life and dealings with normal situations reminded me of myself quite a bit, and I was actually able to get beyond my tendency to rage (or fury rather, punny!) partially because of that book. That and the fact that Rushdie is one of the most brilliant writers I've come across. :)

Casually browsing amazon with 15,000 in my pocket, I came across Bhutan: A Visual Odyssey Across the Last Himalayan Kingdom. I was awestruck! How could they have found a kid so small to pose in the picture! I just had to find out.

I immediately ordered the book. Three days later, the book arrived - but without the kid!!! I was taken aback. What had gone wrong? I called up amazon and told them about the quandry. They began lying and saying something about "it doesn't come with a kid" or "it's just a book." I didn't believe a word of it. Convinced I was being scammed, I contacted the authorities to put an end to this nonsense. To my dismay, I was faced with more garbage about how "911 is only for emergencies" or some crap like that. Not ready to give up, I decided the only possible course of action left was to go to the place where it was manufactured and kidnap a midget kid.

I booked the plane, flew to the Himalayan Mountains, and located the book factory. Once again, I was confronted with yelling in another language which I interpreted as lies. Determined to get to the bottom of this scandal, I raged into the factory in search of a midget kid. Nothing. Nowhere in sight. I looked everywhere but could not find any! I could not even fathom what had happend to them. Then I realized what had happend.

How could I have been such an idiot? The answere was right in front of me the whole time! The midget kids had already been kidnapped by mobsters in the human traffiking business. MYSTERY SOLVED! The local authorities have been informed and are now looking into the matter.

Oh yeah. I glanced over the book. It's kinda boring.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Camus - The Stranger

Pretty weird, pretty cool. I like his writing style, like Hemingway without the suck.

"Keep the Aspidistra Flying", George Orwell

Affected me in a pretty profound way but I'm not sure how yet if that makes any sense... Excellent book tho

Orwell rules. Or at least Animal Farm rules, that's all I've read of his.

EDIT: LIES! I've read 1984 as well, that of course is a book of unruly proportions.

I've read 1984, Animal Farm, Coming Up for Air and now the Aspidistra, which I think I like better than all the others. He's most excellent... There's only one novel left of his I've yet to read, A Clergyman's Daughter. Then of course there's Homage to Catalonia and some other stuff I guess

I plan on reading 1984 again very soon, it's been many years. Seems I should read a few others then as well.

Just started Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut, read 30 pages and already LOLed several times, this'll be great. But for now, beer and wank induced sleep beckons.

Finished Slaughterhouse-Five, holy balls was that pretty damn amazing. Very funny considering the depressing nature of the setting, the Dresden bombing in WWII. Note to self: read more Vonnegut.

oh yeah, I finished White Fang. It was alright, but I suppose not as good at Call of the Wild. I also finished reading all the articles and quite a few of the book/music reviews in TYR #1. A lot of interesting philosophical articles and well as good pieces on Germanic folklore. Something that Erik and Mike might like.

Currently I'm dividing my reading time between TYR #2, The Portable Nietzsche and studying for finals.

Starting reading this Blink book. Its the book about how we make judgments about everything when we first encounter them: Like, how quickly you decide you like a person based on appearance etc. I just wish I had time to get into it.

Crimson Velvet said:
I just ore-ordered the new Harry Potter book! WOOOO! :kickass:
I need to read the 4th one before the movie comes out, I borrow them from my mom because she's a gigantic fan. :Spin:

Thanks to my A level English course I'm on book three (The Ghost road) of Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy about the first world war, and it rules. It focuses on the mental, physical and social breakdowns caused by WW1 rather than getting bogged down in the misery of the trenches, very well written and researched all round.

*slight spoilers ahead, I guess*

dill_the_devil said:
Last thing I read was the final book in Stephen King's Dark Tower cycle of novels. Damn good stuff.

I was with him up to the end of book five but around the point where he put himself into the story he seemed to completely run out of good ideas and the rest was really very tedious for me, esspecially the last book which was just one anti-climax after another. The very end (like, the bit in the tower) was very cool, and there are a couple of other enjoyable bits but IMO as a story the last three books really do blow hard.