Books

I'm not the biggest fantasy fan out there but I just finished
0451459652.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Last Light of the Sun
by Guy Gavriel Kay

kind of an alternate Britain of the dark ages, with the same maelstrom of warring tribes and peoples, but with dark forests and pools populated by creatures feared and unknown to men. More than a fair share of mayhem. and.....faerie sex :)

"Essays and Aphorisms" by Arthur Schopenhauer

There were some parts that I had a little difficulty getting through, but I think I understood or at least got the gist of everything he had to say. Interesting fellow.

finished Black House. loved the Dark Tower references. an excellent book once I got past the first 100 pages or so. Now I've moved on to visit the prequel books in one of the best three fantasy/sci-fi adventures of all time alongside The Dark Tower and LOTR.

0553580272.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's one of the greatest books ever written, my copy has a ridiculous amount of notes and hightlights all over the place. Read it like 3915872395 more times and you might understand half of it.

I'll definately give it another read sometime. I wasn't reading through with a highlighter or anything as in a serious study, but I noticed that there were quite a few places that were very worthy of such.

Another time.

It's one of those books you should take a class on, if you want to truly understand it (I don't pretend to). Pretty much every single word is specifically chosen to have a double and/or hidden meaning to it. It's really quite ridiculous when you start really learning about it. In one of the two classes I took on it the professor said he had read it countless times and he was still finding new obscure references. One of them super ironic books, much like Plato's Republic, where nothing is as it seems. Fun stuff. :)

Finished Arthur C. Clarke's Rama a couple of days ago. A nice read, his obvious technical knowledge makes the story so much more believable. Right now I'm some one hundred pages into Rama II which seems very promising as well.

Though my choices of reading is pretty much dicateted my by studies right now, I've got so much to read there I hardly know where to begin :<

meh i can't be bothered to read the whole thread but i'm sure nobody's mentioned it: the zombie survival guide by max brooks...hardly a challenging or intellectual read, but a fun (and very fast) one nonetheless. brooks is completely deadpan, by the end you start wondering whether he knows something you don't :p
1400049628.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

edit: also makes excellent bathroom reading material, which reminds me, has anyone else heard of the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader series before? those fucking own.

What book won the first ever Nebula Award for a novel?

Only the greatest science fiction book ever written.

Nice to see another sci-fi fan around here amongst these pseudo-philo dorks. :loco:

J. said:
What book won the first ever Nebula Award for a novel?

Dizune

J. said:
Only the greatest science fiction book ever written.
...buuut im not sure if i think its the greatest, but thats mostly because my "OMG GREATEST" sci-fi changes alot....Enders Game is pretty high on the list though.