Books!

Reanna

Technicolor Orgasm
Nov 3, 2002
Finleyville, PA
soulsimmortalwings.cjb.net
I already have a massive collection of books that I have not read yet, but I like buying books anyway. What are you guys currently reading (if anything) and do you reccomend any books that I should buy when I go out next?

I'm currently reading Ada, or Ardor by Nabokov and it's pretty nuts. Before that I read an awesome book by Azar Nafisi called reading Lolita in Tehran. A GREAT book. I've drank with her son too so that was fun.

BTW I went crazy over Nabokov this summer and read eight of his books.. you can't go wrong with him but I don't recommend South of the Border, West of the Sun first.

Peace.

Brandon

As a librarian, I spend my public time reading Kerouac to impress the nubile green haired ladies and my private with the works of Jesse Ventura, Mick Foley, and Chyna.

i had a big Nabokov kick in the spring--well worth it, i think, to read at least five or six of his books (Lolita, Pale Fire, The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, Pnin, Speak Memory, and Glory, I guess I'd recommend).

right now I am reading Bernard Lewis' What Went Wrong? and Stephen King's Everything's Eventual. i started James St. James' Party Monster (formerly called something like Disco Bloodbath i think) but I don't think I'll finish it because he's a shitty writer.

ANYTHING by J.G. Ballard. He's one of my faves. His stuff can be pretty varied though. Short story called High Rise - freakin awesome.

I am buying a few books from Amazon right now and I am getting intrigued by Nabokov. I wanted to know if Nabokov was too overwhelming for a poor second language reader like me. And with what should I start?

no, and in fact you might doubly appreciate him because his native language was Russian, yet he wrote some of the best English-language books in the history of humanity.

he wrote one short story, Mademoiselle O, in French, too!

this isn't my favourite, but you should start with Lolita. it pretty much deserves every good thing said about it and there's a TON of footnotes (if you get the annotated edition) in case you get stuck on a line. also, there's a LOT of French in it--so much that it's tough to read for me, an English speaker, without footnoted translations.

also, you are a perv and so is Humbert Humbert.

you would also enjoy how Nabokov/Humbert makes fun of the WASPy American housewife who thinks she's really high-class by knowing how to speak (mangled, bad) French. there's a few jokes I didn't get until I read the footnotes and it said stuff like, "Here Charlotte uses the GENITIVE form of the verb in French, so she's actually saying she's FROM the garbage!"

At least 14. One of my criteria as well...

I'm not doing much readin' these days, what with the new PC and throng of kick-ass games, but I am slowly working through a novel-length analysis/essay on the night entitled "Acquainted with the Night". Interesting read.