Boosting a Boogie Mark V

guitarklown

Sep 2, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering if there's anyone out there using a boost on their Mark V. I've been having some trouble getting a tight rhythm sound out of my amp. Not sure if eq'ing will help me out or if I should pick up a Maxon OD 808 since they're on sale here locally for $125. Thanks for any input.

Mark series amps need no boost unless you're doing it for solos only. What are your settings? What cab are you using?

There's no need to pay thousands of euros/dollars for an amp that sounds crap without boost
Mark V can create a m a z i n g results without a boost.
Same like a peavey 3120 or an ENGL powerball

I think my actual only problem is that I run the amp at too low of a volume. I have this in my house, I run it in 90W mode because I love the low end power it gives, and it's connected to a 2 X 12 Recto cab. I've been listening to some of Ola's demos tonight, and he hasn't used a boost with the demos he did (not that I'm saying Ola is the god of all) but the guy gets a damn good metal tone out of this. I think it could possibly be the volume I'm having the problem with. I think running my old TS (died yesterday) kinda gave it that little jolt that tuning it up would give it.

You got it right i can assure u its the volume. I noticed the same thing maybe not just a question of tightness just the overall tone isnt quite there until u get it up to a certain minimum amount of volume

You got it right i can assure u its the volume. I noticed the same thing maybe not just a question of tightness just the overall tone isnt quite there until u get it up to a certain minimum amount of volume

Out of curiosity, what minimum would this be? What volume settings or db level?

how did you set the bass knob?
You know that with mark amps you should turn it down (10 o'clock)?

I run my bass at 1-2. For like ... EVER.... I couldn't figure out why my tone wasn't so great with the Mark IV. Finally learned it was because I had my bass at like 8. I used to use a TS in front but realized that it almost sounds tighter without the boost and now I just use the boost for leads.

Best amp in the world.

The Mesa Mark-series amps have the tone controls at the front end of the circuit, really making a boost pedal unnecessary. Use the the tone controls to shape the distortion how you like it. Keep the Bass low to keep things from getting flubby. The EQ section is later in the circuit. You can then use the EQ to bring in some thump and scoop out some mids as needed.

I've been playing around and I'm getting some great sounds out of this now. It's hard to kinda get out of the "Bah! Put a TS in front! it's shit without a TS!" way of thinking that I've always been accustomed to. Thanks for all of the info and suggestions guys. I think I should finally start putting up some posts when I buy more shit and get a little more involved.

(I'm going to be a loser now and put up my first NGD post, though everyone knows I have it :p)

Out of curiosity, what minimum would this be? What volume settings or db level?

Hi Inceptic,

Sorry i just saw your question. I couldnt answer that exactly ill have to try. The reason for that is ive never looked for that "sweet spot" minimum because i have a mark V at home and one in the rehearsal room (long story). when i tested the mark V at home i remember feeling disappointed at low volume and that applies to "the sound in the room" not disappointed as in after micing it. I went to the rehearsal room and used the same volume to try and see if something was wrong with the other amp (tubes etc) and no it was the same result and then i cranked it and it worked out. As i was in the rehearsal room i didnt care about finding the minimum; i mustve went beyond that. finding that volume wouldve happened at home but i didnt even try because I could hear the sound of my recording room (alas still untreated) and it sucked with all of my gear. So i stuck with axefx for home recording and then kemper.

Most importantly three points to remember:
1- its me and my experience and im willing to bet that some of the guys on this forum could get a good tone out of anything and at any volume LOL!
2-its an easy test you should find it easily as the difference wasnt sublte to me
3-the guys here mentionned something very important too about how to dial this amp in especially the pre eq bass. That is a different issue but might be the culprit for the OP maybe? Im saying that because everyone goes through that experience before finding out how the mark V works but fortuntely quickly they do.

Sorry for the long useless post that didnt answer your question.

EDIT: i might try it soon and get back to you (giving the playing at home with a tube amp another shot..lol)

I actually think this amp benefits some with a bit of a boost before hand. I've used a TS7 and an OD808 with success in the past.

I will agree. It smooths it out a bit and makes it sing (more).

In my experience, it seems to saturate the tone more and make it creamier instead of tighter.

+1 get the master volume up a bit higher to tighten it up.
Check the back of the amp and try Channel 3 in Pentode rather than Triode.
Good luck!
One thing that always confused me is is the separate volume controls for each channel and the master output. I didn't notice a difference in tone either by keep master low and cranking individual volumes or vice versa.

With my newer tubes, I can't push the master any higher than 2 or I'll be killing everyone in the practice space. How do get Mark IV to sweet spot without killing everything around/using attenuator?!