"Borkdragon"

Vemod

New Metal Member
Nov 11, 2004
Hey there.

I just wondered if anyone knew the meaning of this sign, the borkdragon found on the cd`s of Borknagar, that is. I found the same one in "Snorre" but there is no information on it in any of the editions I have looked in.

Would be glad if someone knew :)

- Vemod

Vemod said:
Hey there.

I just wondered if anyone knew the meaning of this sign, the borkdragon found on the cd`s of Borknagar, that is. I found the same one in "Snorre" but there is no information on it in any of the editions I have looked in.

Would be glad if someone knew :)

- Vemod

The only dragon in norse mythology and Snorre I know of is Nidhogg and Fåvne. Fåvne is killed by Sigurd Fåvnesbane(also known as Sigurd Drakedreper) wich means Sigurd Fåvne's killer, and drakedreper means Dragon killer. Nidhogg is the dragon chewing on Yggdrasil's root.

Jotgar said:
The only dragon in norse mythology and Snorre I know of is Nidhogg and Fåvne. Fåvne is killed by Sigurd Fåvnesbane(also known as Sigurd Drakedreper) wich means Sigurd Fåvne's killer, and drakedreper means Dragon killer. Nidhogg is the dragon chewing on Yggdrasil's root.

Thank you so much for the answer:) Yes, I have thought about these two, but it does not seem to fit the verses the image is linked to in Snorre. May be that the sign represents a "Mare" (Mareritt - nightmare) The creature which ride on peoples dreams and makes bad dreams. This is something loosely based on footnotes close to the verse in Snorre. But I do not know.

Thank you for taking time to answer me!

Greetings
Vemod

The Borkdragon is done by a drawing artist called Gerhard Munthe. He and a couple of other famous Norvegian artists got the task to to illustrate the "new" version of Snorre Kongesagaer back in the early 18- century(as far as I remember). According to Munthe himself the illustrations he did was never meant to have a deeper meaning or direct link to the text, they was rather meant to have decorative role on the pages. Though, I guess he got some inspirations from the mythology....

Øystein G. Brun said:
The Borkdragon is done by a drawing artist called Gerhard Munthe. He and a couple of other famous Norvegian artists got the task to to illustrate the "new" version of Snorre Kongesagaer back in the early 18- century(as far as I remember). According to Munthe himself the illustrations he did was never meant to have a deeper meaning or direct link to the text, they was rather meant to have decorative role on the pages. Though, I guess he got some inspirations from the mythology....

Thank you very much for you answer:) Tried to check out the borkdragon through Munthe`s name also, but seems like it is as you say; that they are not drawn to have any deeper meaning or direct link to the texts.

Greetings
Vemod