Brilliant interview with Dan

wow, best interview yet! very insightful on things i didn't know.

I'm so psyched to hear Another Life!

Thanks Dan for putting us forum-fans as a "highlight of (your) career" :D

D: Bullshit. I am the most awesome at doing symphonic pop. It’s a shame that it takes me like 5 years to complete a song though. The Nightingale cheese scale is probably a pretty variable one. Our live opening with “Nightfall overture”, “A raincheck of my demise” and “One of the lonely ones” is not even close to milk on your cheese scale. Where moments of “Eternal” and “Atlantis rising” is way up there with the Cottage Cheese!!! Then you have the depressive sourcream of “Stalingrad” and the ‘B-side’ of the “I” album. It’s funny that I am lactose-intolerant and play in this band :)
:worship: :lol:

I start bands that hopefully will make other people go “Hey, why don’t we start a band that sounds like Swanö’s new band"

Working on it :)

amazing interview.

Dan you rule, and good job Lord.

King Fear said:
"The b-side of the "I" album"? What's that supposed to be?

Pretend your CD is a tape. I think he means the second half of the album.

By the way, I just finished reading the interview and I have a couple of my own questions:

1) Can someone clarify the terms "Mixing" and "Mastering" for me? I was under the impression that mastering wasn't too difficult and thus important in this modern age, but I don't really know anything about this stuff, just going with what I hear. What is mastering?

2) Who are all those chick-singers mentioned along with Lita Ford and the Cunt from Otep? Band names?

3) Does Dan really believe there is some quality whatever from that shit-band DISTURBED or was he just joking by even mentioning them? That has to be the silliest, phoniest, most annoying and talentless trash I have ever heard in my entire life outside System of a Down, Vanilla Ice, and all "Christian metal" bands, of course. :loco:

I like Disturbed. I actually like some songs from the best of the "nu metal" bands. I admit that once you´ve heard one Disturbed song you´ve heard them all, but the production is good and I like the singers voice once he´s not sounding like a dog or a duck, he´s excellent...

Metal88 said:
By the way, I just finished reading the interview and I have a couple of my own questions:

1) Can someone clarify the terms "Mixing" and "Mastering" for me? I was under the impression that mastering wasn't too difficult and thus important in this modern age, but I don't really know anything about this stuff, just going with what I hear. What is mastering?

Mixing:
Adjusting sound and volume, compression, reverb, delay from the SINGLE tracks. Guitar left, guitar right, vocals, backing vocals, bass drum, snare drum....
Then you mix it down to a stereo track. Only two channels, left and right. That goes to mastering

Mastering:
Adjusting the complete mixdown. It's like the last fine setting. Compression and equalizing of the sum. You can't add more reverb or anything to the vocals, or other single tracks, just to the whole mixdown.

For some reason I never knew Dan was so self aware about Nightingales Cheesiness....lol

Dan Swanö said:
I like Disturbed. I actually like some songs from the best of the "nu metal" bands. I admit that once you´ve heard one Disturbed song you´ve heard them all, but the production is good and I like the singers voice once he´s not sounding like a dog or a duck, he´s excellent...
So do I, especially the new album. Don't care much for their earlier stuff.

& "The One" rocks!

The best part might be Lord K's obsession with Peter Forsberg. Not uncommon for a Swede, I guess. I miss him, as an Avalanche fan, and I hope he can return from injury to play in the Olympics! I don't know why, but I've always rooted for Sweden in the Olympics. Maybe it's the yellow.

Yeah, cleared a few questionmarks from an interview in Metal Wire made some years ago that had some of those questions. And of course, a funny read as well :)

Dan Swanö said:
I like the singers voice once he´s not sounding like a dog or a duck, he´s excellent...

.....or a fuckin' MONKEY! (Think intro to "Down with the Sickness") If I played a tape of an actual ape going ape-shit and then this fuckin' guy, would you be able to tell the difference? :Spin:

By the way Dan, I emailed your brother about getting a copy of "Nightfall Overture" and he said he'd have to talk to you and get back with me - so I'll just ask you here, do you have any copies left??? I'm a total idiot for not already having it. o_O