Brothers Grimm

lars k norberg

musician
Oct 30, 2005
An obscure band I listened a lot to back in the early '90s:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyuwLPnKscQ&feature=related[/ame]

This is a very good band man and they are very far from mainstream prog metal, actually, a lot more complex than average prog metal, perhaps closest to technical metal style and it is another great band I missed. For example, I only heard Watchtower in 2001. Since them, they became one of my favorites. I suppose that Brothers Grim sole album is very very rare, right ?

Yeah, I guess it's rare. I got mine on cassette (don't think it was released on either CD or vinyl, but I could be wrong) from the bass-player back in 91-92 during my stay at Musicians Institute, Hollywood, where he and most of the band also were students. Great band - besides all the cool ideas, I dig the attitude and how rough it sounds.

Are you still in contact with them ? Perhaps not, but they surely deserved a remastered version. Another band I like is Altura, with great ideas, but that had the hand of the their label to make their music more mainstream prog metal. Even with this, they split right after their first release.

No, I didn't know them like that. I mentioned the school-conection just to give you an idea how by chance it was that I stumbled across them myself. I don't think this release was properly distributed or anything - everything about it is very "demo". I have the Altura, but I never was into that whole DT-clone scene - they were one of the first though, which is probably why I didn´t dismiss them right away.

I like them, yet they seem as you said very Dream Theater-ish. But I read interviews with members where they said that their label push them over way too much to sound like Dream Theater. They are good musicians and there is some raw and technical sound on it that I like.

The baas' sound around 3:10 and the previous changes are fucking amazing!!! Thanks for the recomendation, Lars...