Brutal/Slam Death Metal

They have a couple of breakdowns in their music and sometimes the vocalist does the higher pitch screaming (traits commonly found outside deathcore btw) but otherwise their two albums are pure tech-death..I'm not sure you know deathcore is..listen to Carnifex, then listen to Necrophagist..then tell me what sounds more like The Faceless

I've finally taken the time to listen to some of the songs from Devourment's 138 and I've really been missing out. I'll probably be picking it up soon. Are their other 2 albums as good as 138?

Unleash the Carnivore is excellent, a very skilled recording and compositionally-sound slam album by a band that basically should be writing this exact record. In other words, it sounds like it should sound.

Unleash the carnivore is probably my least favorite because the songs to me are less memorable. Butcher the weak threw in harsh vocals and amusing lyrics that I find were very fun to listen to, I also like the guitar riff styles. Molesting the decapitated is my favourite because of it is definitely more down-tuned, palm muted guitar work and the vocals are unique from practically all BDM and slam because it sounds extremely angry, and is the perfect pick me upper when I feel like killing.

It's a good album, but to me it's missing the magic that Devourment created.

The songs are initially less memorable and I think it is probably both simultaneously the easiest and most difficult Devourment album to really get into. It is easy to listen to because of the smooth production and tight writing, but it's hard to get into really because of the more "straightforward" and "tight" reigned-in musicality that pervades it.

I heard that 138 has been re-released a few times. Is there any difference in the sound quality of the newer versions and, if so, how will I know the difference when I come to buying it.

I don't think that production was ever a problem in any of the albums. All three of them are gold. I'm just a little less caring of UTC when comparing it against the other two. I do agree that it is more straight forward.

No difference in quality between MTD and 138 IMO except 138 is louder.

I prefer babykiller on BTW with Mike Majewski over the other, but the other is still good.

138 is the best but the other two Devourment albums are superb and are as close to being essential brutal death metal albums as you can get.

Well I know what I want for my birthday then.

Referring back to my previous question, hasn't 138 been released by like three different labels or something, once in 2000, once in 2005 and once in 2006. I'm not sure if that's accurate but I thought I read it somewhere.