Brutal/Slam Death Metal

This one is slamming pretty good right now:

Katalepsy - Autopsychosis

Katalepsy-Autopsychosis.jpg

Loving this :kickass:

The last three songs and the solo with all the crazy effects!!! This album is fucking perfect.

Havnt had a chance to listen to that Katalepsy properly yet, sounds ok but more like straight BDM this time round.

I've been smiling all day listening to this, if you can get past the abundance of weird (really weird) samples this thing slams like a shithouse door.

great production, groovy and dynamic

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the fact that more people are getting into the BDM/Slam scene, and are writing about it, but I just don't understand your reasoning behind some of the artists you champion as the best from the genre, against the artists you put on the bottom rung.

Three major things define good or bad slam for me:

1. Quality of riffs: They should be memorable in some way and overall, consistent in tone.
2. Arrangements that make sense. This is a huge problem in all of Brutal Death Metal. Probably why I listen to more Bolt Thrower, Carcass and Necros Christos than Hate Eternal, all of whom I like.
3. Good vocals. Or at least not silly vocals. And for me, a distant cricket chirp is better than rap stuff and nursery rhymes.

Of course sound quality and performance are important, but they're not top 3. And this explains why I like some bands most people crap on (Nasty Pig Dick, Torsofuck, Kraanium) and don't like some of the beloved artists who are significantly more skilled at their instruments like Devourment & Defeated Sanity.

I'm not sure if you write for slam-minded, but I disagree with about 65% of the opinions on there. Read: It is unfathomable how something like Ezophagothomia rises to the top of multiple lists. I could pick up a guitar and write those "songs" in real time. There's just nothing there except a heavy sound.

Still the writing quality on slam-minded is terrific, so I do enjoy reading it.

The bottom line is no matter the kind of music, I want memorable songs built from good ideas. Destroyer 666, Hate Forest, Manowar, Sabaton, Carcass, Axis of Advance, Goatlord, Blasted Pancreas, Triarii, King Crimson, Battleroar, Manilla Road, Reverend Bizarre, whatever.

And do you know where I can get a hard copy of Gorepoflesh?
That's one I heard about from slam-minded and really liked.

Also hunting for a hard copy of that great Afterbirth demo.

So what's Mortician considered? I'm whoring them out pretty hard lately and got no idea if they're thought of as "brutal" or not.

Sweet. Because I think they're brutal as all fucking get out. Crank the phones up and let the blood pour.

You fuckers on this site are getting me to spend some money lol

I just pre-ordered the new Katalepsy, Defeated Sanity with shirt and hoodie, and Devourment. Also pre-ordered the one-man band Foul Body Autopsy's new EP

Fuck, music in 2013 will be costing me a lot...

Fuck, music in 2013 will be costing me a lot...

Deeds of flesh, Suffocation, Defeated Sanity, Devourment all in the same fucking month!!! I hope you all know, the new Suffocation record will have EPIC production, especially compared to their other albums and come with a DVD of the making of the album! Next month will be the best death metal month in a LONG time.

Deeds of flesh, Suffocation, Defeated Sanity, Devourment all in the same fucking month!!! I hope you all know, the new Suffocation record will have EPIC production, especially compared to their other albums and come with a DVD of the making of the album! Next month will be the best death metal month in a LONG time.

Oh shit, forgot about the new Suffocation! I'll look into that one soon. The Defeated Sanity album will come with a DVD as well. The cover art on the new DS is fucking sick too, I had to buy some merch for that one.

Nah, I really like it too. It's surely better than standard bdm artwork.

So guys Pathology was easily my favorite slam album of the year. Anyone want to recommend me an al um or two from their favorite list from 2012? Do NOT want a big list of shit... And I'm curious about Beheaded's latest.

From 2012? Hum. I mean Pathology also topped mine, along with the aforementioned Abominable Putridity, Kraanium's "Post Mortal Coital Fixation" was pretty gnarly, Wormed's "Planisphaerium" had some definite appeal.

I never manage to remember what I've listened to after I've listened to it. :p

Here's the slamming death metal article I did for wormgear for any who're interested in taking a look...

http://wormgearzine.com/2013/01/01/...lamming-brutal-death-metal-by-s-craig-zahler/

Read your article, understood your reasoning, still massively disagree. I mean, you start the article with Devourment and Condemned, some of the best shit out there, calling it awful.

I think you're just looking at everything to be "slamtastic" and ignoring the more "brutal" end of things where groovy riffs are less the focal point in comparison to a thick, bludgeoning atmosphere. I agree that Pathology and Kraanium are kickass, but Devourment's "Unleash the Carnivore" was goddamn amazing and so was Realms of the Ungodly.

Meanwhile, you're putting up Begging for Incest and Urogenital Macrophage as the best in the genre? What? BfI has some charm but they're not exemplary, and UM was so awful I had to FORCE myself to get through three songs just to make sure I wasn't judging them based off one track. Plus you rave about UM's vocalist for using squeals while denigrating BfI's for doing the same?

From 2012? Hum. I mean Pathology also topped mine, along with the aforementioned Abominable Putridity, Kraanium's "Post Mortal Coital Fixation" was pretty gnarly, Wormed's "Planisphaerium" had some definite appeal.

I never manage to remember what I've listened to after I've listened to it. :p

I can't stand matti way so that will probably ruin the ap album for me. Planispaerium was released years ago man.

Was it? Spotify has it as 2012 and I only found it this year. My mistake, LOL. Stick with Kraanium then.