Brutal/Slam Death Metal

I really wish more bands would utilize that 'funeral' slam style in Ezophagothomia's demo/ep thingy. That shit is intense. I can picture Vulvectomy or Abominable Putridity really expanding on that and doing well with it.

Yeah. It's a weird term but it kinda works. Then again, I thought Ezophagothomia's demo was super overrated. The fact that Slam-Minded had both guys topping their lists with it baffled me.

lol funeral slam?
I think Andy coined the term on Slam-Minded. It's the way they play those riffs and progressively get slower with the slams...listen to Ezophagothomia's demo and you'll see what it is.
Yeah. It's a weird term but it kinda works. Then again, I thought Ezophagothomia's demo was super overrated. The fact that Slam-Minded had both guys topping their lists with it baffled me.

I don't think it's overrated at all man. I think it was a really unique way of slamming and they managed to write some memorable songs in that little demo. Too bad they didn't keep at it with the full length though.

Too many damn bands have "autopsy" in the name. I can never get them sorted.

Also I don't hear how that slam is different from others. It's a slow chromatic riff, double bass under it, snare on the 3rd beat.

EDIT: I must be remembering a different Ezo album/band/something because I'm listening to Instinct of Inhuman Devourment and it's goddamn excellent.

I really wish more bands would utilize that 'funeral' slam style in Ezophagothomia's demo/ep thingy.

100% Agreed: I want slow slam as well, though I enjoy plenty of the mixed tempi stuff as well.

I don't like the unmemorable riffs on the Ezo debut LP, but I don't know the EP/demo stuff.

Bands I know that could be considered "funeral":
Cephalotripsy & Epicardioectomy are exactly this style.
Some songs by Begging for Incest and Kraanium.
Perhaps also Female Nose Breaker,--- I just ordered their disk and can't say for certain, though I liked the song I heard.

Anybody else feel free to expand upon this...

Too many damn bands have "autopsy" in the name. I can never get them sorted.

Also I don't hear how that slam is different from others. It's a slow chromatic riff, double bass under it, snare on the 3rd beat.

EDIT: I must be remembering a different Ezo album/band/something because I'm listening to Instinct of Inhuman Devourment and it's goddamn excellent.

I'm talking about Ezophagothomia's DEMO, not the full length. With this song:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it does go from below average to slightly above average at that point. Really, it pretty much sounds like the slow track from a Cannibal Corpse album, especially the obvious vocals rhythms, though there's an ugly chord in the first part that CC wouldn't use.

I'm curious what the other Devourment fans (everybody on this thread but me) think of this cut, which seems much, much simpler than anything I've heard by the band...

I'm a huge Devourment fan, and I quite liked the track. I really don't understand the Cannibal Corpse comparisons, as they really sound nothing alike to me. It's not even as simple as Unleash The Carnivore, which was their most simplistic work by far. It's just groovy, heavy fun.

Cannibal Corpse sucks by the way. <3

I loved the Ezophagothomia demo, it was gritty, downtuned, raw as fuck atmospheric slam. Andy didnt' like it though.

We had their full length as our #1, not the demo. Huge difference in sound between the two.

100% Agreed: I want slow slam as well, though I enjoy plenty of the mixed tempi stuff as well.

I don't like the unmemorable riffs on the Ezo debut LP, but I don't know the EP/demo stuff.

Bands I know that could be considered "funeral":
Cephalotripsy & Epicardioectomy are exactly this style.
Some songs by Begging for Incest and Kraanium.
Perhaps also Female Nose Breaker,--- I just ordered their disk and can't say for certain, though I liked the song I heard.

Anybody else feel free to expand upon this...

Gorevent would fit well on that list.

btw guys, this rulz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannibal Corpse sucks by the way. <3

I was never a big Cannibal Corpse fan, but 'Kill' is pretty good and pretty different from what preceded it if you've not heard it, and (the new one) Torture has some winners like "Scourge of Iron" & "Intestinal Crank." Even if you hate CC's Tomb & Eaten (I don't like either), you might want to hear these new cuts to hear how they've improved over the years. The obvious singing on each beat vocal patterns are the worst thing about both albums--and tons of 'classic' death metal--but overall, these two albums are pretty decent.

Any other 'funeral' slam beside Gorevent and the others? I listened to two albums by Gorevent and liked some cuts, but found the consistency really lacking on both.

And do you know where I find a hard copy of that Gorepoflesh I read about on slam-minded...? That thing had a really great vibe, but I've been unable to find it, despite several attempts.

I loved the Ezophagothomia demo, it was gritty, downtuned, raw as fuck atmospheric slam. Andy didnt' like it though.

We had their full length as our #1, not the demo. Huge difference in sound between the two.

The full-length is pretty sexcellent. I kept trying to listen to the demo (including that big long track linked earlier) and it just didn't get me.