Brutal/Slam Death Metal

This anal infatuation is one of the things that bothers me about BDM. What the hell is brutal about assholes...?

You know, that's like you'd ask what's so anal on them. Common, the anal hole is just teh coolest! :Smug:

Wormed is good. And thanks for the link, I'll be using that a lot.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Mucopus and Saprogenic. It's sort of tough for me to find a good brutal band to actually enjoy nowadays. I went on a binge a while back and now unless something catches my ear right away, I usuallt don't bother.
Mucopus is pretty lame imo, but Saprogenic is decent and I know V5 loves them.

I think a good intro band for you S<issors would be Vomit Remnants. They are very catchy and take a lot of influence from Dying Fetus, who you said you liked.

Mucopus is pretty lame imo, but Saprogenic is decent and I know V5 loves them.

I think a good intro band for you S<issors would be Vomit Remnants. They are very catchy and take a lot of influence from Dying Fetus, who you said you liked.

cool, any recommended starting albums?

I'm getting my grubby little paws on planisphaereum and butcher the weak later today, will post my thoughts

They're getting more mature and subsequently less good (I want the old immature necro AN back!...but I still am psyched to see them at MDF). But they're not even close to slam so yeah.

well after listening to butcher the weak, planisphaereum, and supreme vehemence, I have to say vvvvv's warning was apt: Wormed emerge as my favorite of the bunch. cool theme, crazy vocals, and just all around good music. vomit remnants are likable but, much like dying fetus often does, it frequently sounds somewhat samey to my ear. devourment are good but, again, I think I'll need to listen more to get really into it.

the part of this style I'm enjoying the most is its main distinguishing feature- the brutal breakdowns/"slam" sections. Wormed's Geodesic Dome has a particularly cool section starting around 1:50 that absolutely destroys (slow tempo followed by this looooong froggy groan). although I dig the frog groans, in general guttural vocals don't matter a hell of a lot to me one way or the other; intelligible lyrics is one way bands like Skinless keep my attention, but some of this stuff is catchy enough that it hardly matters.

for further recs, lots of slamming, and as much technicality as can be expected to exist in such a subgenre (drumming, primarily). anything that varies/distinguishes songs is helpful given the nature of the beast (that doesn't need to be excessive sound sample usage, though!)

thanks for turning me on to this stuff, and the blog is cool, too

Hey glad to hear you at least gave it a nice honest try and emerged enjoying something of the bunch. Wormed are indeed probably the most extreme band soundwise, but there is just something about a lot of slam that makes me want to analyze how they play. It is usually in the nuances; every slam band is part of the same little community scene genre thing, but they're also all slightly different...it's a good thing to look for and critically observe (as Nick and I attempt to with the blog).

Check these out:
Gorgasm
Deeds Of Flesh (start with Path Of The Weakening)
Septycal Gorge
Infernal Revulsion
Human Rejection
Disavowed (first album only)
Down From The Wound