Brutal/Slam Death Metal

It's not slam because most of the riffs are written in tremolo and there are no slam breakdowns. They're marginally brutal in the same way Nile are. There's just something about them that separates them from usual brutal death.

They have one album which is even remotely brutal death, and also their best overall, that being None So Vile. Otherwise, no, not brutal death really.

Wait, what the fuck is Whisper Supremacy then? Tech-death? There's too much about it that makes it sound like a BDM album. Just in the riff construction and their sheer girth.

I guess it depends on how you interpret 'brutal death metal', but I see Cryptopsy as a fairly definite precursor to the Internal Suffering style of chaotic brutal death (versus the more definitely heavy and deliberate style of Suffocation). And that's not even taking into account 'Whisper Supremacy' on, which I don't actually feel is death metal.

Whatevs. Again, I'm a huge fan of hypertechnical death. I'll take interesting exercise over 'atmosphere' any day.

Which is why I find slam death intriguing. As music to actually listen to, it's utter shit. As a curious new way to reinterpret the playing of metal, combining every known method of percussive technique (guitars, vocals, drums) to create the most wicked grooves ever, teh winnar. See?

It hurts me in my heart.

I console myself with the awesomeness of the remaidner of their catalogue...and I pretend the new album doesn't exist.